Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ph.D. faculty level positions in the ME?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Middle East Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
abufletcher

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll need to do more checking but the downside of this job would seem to be that for your Ph.D. all you get to teaching is a sort of glorified "oral English" to freshmen before they move on to their serious engineering/chemisty courses in the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th years. We used to have a class like this called "Communication Arts A."

By contrast, at my present job I get to teach Second Language Teaching, Language and Culture, Cross-cultural Awareness, English-Japanese Conversation Analysis, Teaching Foreign Language to Children, and occasionally Language Assessment.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suspect that it is more writing than oral... organizing projects/research and oral presentations as part of ...

A glorified Comp 2 class... (how's your knowledge of engineering?)

just an educated guess tho...

VS
abufletcher

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VS, well I did teach the engineering students for a while at SQU but I can't say it lights my fine -- though a recent excursion into the world of radio control aircraft and supersized my previously teeny mechanical aptitude! Very Happy

And I'm sure your right that this course would probably have a stronger focus on written skills -- which tends to be what Arab students need. It's very odd thinking that this job would involve only teaching a single course. I guess I've gotten used to the Japanese idea of a "course" meeting once a week for 14-15 weeks. In this way, your average Japanese university students takes from 15-19 "courses" every semester.

While in Oman I did do a couple of group work report projects with students over in the Business college using all that gleaming new computer equipment. Anyway, I'll go ahead and apply and see what happens.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't lose anything by applying. If you make it to interview then you can find out more about it. Might be interesting... and one can always just say 'no thanks.'

VS...
abufletcher

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VS, that's my take on things too. I've got to "refocus" my cover letter a bit for this postion but I'll probably get the application in by Monday.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good Luck... keep us posted... VS
Tiger Beer

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

web fishing wrote:
Japan and HK with a salary of $100,000US is like making $50,000 in the US when you have children. Most of the university ads I saw for these countries never mentioned free housing, free yearly tickets for all members of family, school tuition ...

Than there are people like me who teach at a uni in Japan at the 50K level....(which I guess would be like the 25K level back home!)

Interesting thread though...interesting to see the HK uni jobs mostly hire PhD's. I don't have a PhD, but its certainly something to aspire towards.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Middle East Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: