Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Northern Canada

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General North America Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
little horsey

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2003 11:46 pm    Post subject: Northern Canada Reply with quote

Does anyone have any information about jobs in Northern Canada? I looking more towards Nunavut right now, but I wouldn't mind hearing about the Northwest Territories, Yukon Territories or even Northern Ontario/Quebec/Manitoba/etc...

I really want to be able to experience the Canadian north during all the seasons....learning about its people, culture, history, language, among other things.

If you have any information for me, you can post them here or email me at [email protected]

Thanks for your help!

j.
Lynden

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2003 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm kind of in the same position as you. Basically from looking at the gov't web sites and job listings I'm thinking about either a B.Ed after degree or BSW after degree. Both professions seem to be the most in demand. I live up in northern alberta and from what I've seen I highly doubt that you could make any sort of living in the far north as a private ESL teacher.
canucktechie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2003 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that ESL teaching opportunities are almose nil. Northern Canada gets almost no immigrants, and the only ESL students would be aboriginal children who grew up speaking their native tongue. These kids do get taught English, but that happens in the public school system. So as the previous poster said, there are jobs for qualified school teachers and social workers only.
little horsey

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2003 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I'm not going to lie to you, this is disappointing. A couple months ago, I heard a man phone in and tell stories of teaching English in Northern Ontario. It was probably a long time ago that he did this.

I'm just finishing up my undergrad degree this spring and I'm not ready to tackle another one just yet. I'll just have to keep my eye open on positions up there, I guess.

Thanks for your responses...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General North America Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: