Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Decisions, desicions...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Costa Rica
View previous topic :: View next topic  
carolynne

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 9:31 am    Post subject: Decisions, desicions... Reply with quote

Costa Rica or Mexico?

Has anyone done both and got some advice for me? I am a relatively new teacher with only 6 months experience. However I am CELTA/BA etc qualified. I am British-South African (can sneakily switch accents) - will this be problematic??
How quickly will I be able to find work in CR or Mexico? Need spanish? Will I be able to live off the salary I earn in the respective countries? Can I pick up privates if I'm starving, etc...

Many thanks, Carol
PS hello Guy
Guy Courchesne

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Caroylnne,

You'd probably make more money in Mexico, and enjoy better food here, but Costa Rica has some spectacular vistas, and is so small it looks like you could walk to either ocean.

Don't worry about accent/nationality.

It's easier to locate employment in Mexico, simply for the size difference beween the two countries. you do not need Spanish to teach in most cases, but it can be helpful. And you can live off, but not make a fantastic fortune, in both countries.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
doreenp

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 6:50 pm    Post subject: decisions decisions Reply with quote

I love Costa Rica. It does have beautiful vistas and you may not be able to walk across the country but a short bus ride, in good weather, will get you to either coast in easy time. (4 hours from SJ to Limon and 2 hours from SJ to Jaco)

The food in Mexico may include some extra seasonings and spices but you have to be so careful in the handling and consuming of it. The food in CR may be bland and Gallo Pinto is definitely a favourite here but I cook my own food and have everything you can imagine available for this.
I don�t have to disinfect the fruits and veggies and i eat them right from the street vendors.

I also drink the water from the taps !!!! Very Happy In the beach and outer areas I do buy bottled water but in San Jose and the suburbs, the tap water is no problem. Sometimes it does have a slight taste of chlorine but i fill my water bottles at night and put them in the fridge and by next day they�re fine.

As for cost of living, I don�t know what it is in Mexico compared to salaries. I can only pass on a few tid bits from CR.

1 mil colones = about 2.00 u.s.

I make 4 mil colones per hour and work 32 hours a week

I pay 75,000 colones per month for room and 3 meals a day with laundry done and cleaning, once a week. (150.00 u.s.)

I know some people that pay about 100,000 colones per month to rent and apt. furnished, and then have food and bills on top of this. (200.00 + u.s.)

I find the food cheap, except for fast food which i never buy anyway.
for example at the grocery store a head of lettuce is .25 cents, a whole chicken 3.00, lg tub of yogurt 1.50 and of course the beer of CR, Imperial, is about 60 cents a can. Corona is 1.00

of course fruits and veggies from the market or street vendors are much cheaper and it depends too on where you live too.

Bus fare to Limon or the Caribbean coast is about 5.00 and to Jaco is about 3.00. Taxi�s used to be cheap but with the cost of gas , like anywhere, their fares are going up, but they�re still a good deal. Buses to get around SJ and areas are anywhere from 25 cents to 60. cents

I know that the universities are always looking for qualified native speakers and as I�ve said in other posts, you have to be here to get the jobs. It may seem scary to some but it�s not that hard, really!

I would be interested in knowing how the costs compare to Mexico,,,,,Guy??

cheers and good luck to all
cee
Guy Courchesne

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started a cost-of-iving thread in the General Lat Am forum, so we could all compare.

Here's a recent one for Mexico http://www.eslcafe.com/forums/job/viewtopic.php?t=29202

And one older for Latin America. http://www.eslcafe.com/forums/job/viewtopic.php?t=19474

Pease update that last one...nice to have a running tally.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
kruegs4

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have lived in CR for two months now and it has been very easy to find work. I have actually had more work than I wanted. I am currently working as a kindergarden teacher at a private bilingual k-12 and a private language school in Heredia. I can walk everywhere I just got a new apartment which I will move into on Wednesday, I make quite a bit of money for Costa Rican standards. Life is pretty easy down here. It is difficult to have contact with locals, or this is what I have found. I am not an incredibly outgoing person and I came down here with my girlfriend so that doesnt help. If you want steady set hours I would recommend applying to a k-12 where you can work from say 7am to 12pm. Life is good and I would say relatively easy. Good luck, if you have any questions. Personal message me.
tesolitis

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 1:48 am    Post subject: kruegs4 - what is a k-12 ? Reply with quote

what is a k-12 ? can u hlp, pls
Guy Courchesne

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kindergarten to Grade 12. Pretty standard US class of teacher certification.
carolynne

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 6:16 pm    Post subject: Thanks everyone! Reply with quote

Just one or two more questions: what are the best dates to get work in CR? I'll be arriving in Latin America early next year...

Bus fare to Limon or the Caribbean coast is about 5.00 and to Jaco is about 3.00. ----- Where is this from? SJ? And I'm presuming that's US$?

It sounds amazing, Cee, have you lived in Mexico as well?

That's all for now, thanks everyone
doreenp

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 6:46 pm    Post subject: decisions decisions Reply with quote

Yes those bus rides originate in San Jose or SJ and are in u.s. funds.

All schools are closed from mid December to mid January. I start back Jan. 15th ,this is ��summer holidays�� .... As far as language schools, i�m not sure of the dates but you�d have to check with individual businesses. The universities that i�ve worked at have run on an 8 week bimester system. Meaning the next bimester would begin some time around mid March.

I�ve never worked in Mexico but have traveled a fair bit. Love the country and the people. Right now CR is working for me...who knows where i�ll end up in the future?
cheers
d
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Costa Rica All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: