Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bringing money!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kat

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2003 3:09 am    Post subject: Bringing money! Reply with quote

How much money should you bring to China for the first mounth?
joe
Mod Team
Mod Team

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2003 4:36 am    Post subject: depends on your lifestyle Reply with quote

It depends on how you like to live, but I would recommend at least $500 to $1000. On the other hand, if you have an ATM card which is linked to a United States bank, you will likely be able to use this ATM card at many Bank of China locations all across China. This is what I tend to do.

Good luck.
asianomad

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2003 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Couldn't agree more -- if your housing is provided and there's no KFC in town to tempt you (laugh if you like, but McD's and KFC look awfully good after weeks and weeks of rice and noodles!), you could make it on 100 US -- but just barely. I'd certainly feel comfortable showing up with twice that -- about a 50 yuan a day budget is generous.

If you're paying for your own housing, especially in Beijing or Shanghai, you'd probably want to be more in the range of what Joe is talking about - $1000 US. Check out www.thatsbeijing.com and www.thatsshanghai.com to peruse the housing classifieds and you'll see what I mean! I've also found that (in Beijing) you have to pay for your rent 3 months at a time.

Good luck on your search.

asianomad
Edward

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2003 3:21 am    Post subject: survival money Reply with quote

Ask yourself HONESTLY " am I GOOD saving money? Or do I spend it foolishly at times?" I am the latter, and I KNOW that about myself, so I brought 2,000 USD and even though that was way overkill, it made me feel secure, knowing how foolish I can be at times.

If you are a miser, then I am sure 500 is more than enough until you get those first pay outs from the school. My school payed me half my airfare up front upon arrival which was good.

Also remember, if you don't bring enough, and you find yourself borrowing against your first, second, or third salary at some point, it will be difficult to get back on top. Seriously consider this, because once in debt, you KNOW it is a difficult road to get back "in the black".

Hope that helps,

Michael
yaco

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2003 5:32 pm    Post subject: How much money to bring to China the first time. Reply with quote

The safest option is to bring more money than less.

You can not guarantee in China that your salary will be payed on time. Chinese employers are notorious for late payment of salaries and at renegotiating contracts several times.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: