Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

US Associate Degree
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Kingdom
View previous topic :: View next topic  
josephinekelly

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 2:15 pm    Post subject: US Associate Degree Reply with quote

My son in law is halfway through a 2 year full time course for an Associate Degree in Science at Dallas University. He is doing well and has won an award for Outstanding Academic Achievement.

He and my daughter have decided now to settle in the UK and we are wondering what the value of such a qualification would be here. He is as yet undecided what would be open to him. This would be his only qualification. They will stay until he finishes if this is a worthwhile qualification for job hunting in UK. Otherwise they could leave to come here straight away.

I hope we can give him the right advice.
Many thanks

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Entry level if he has a work permit which he won`t get with entry level qualifications.
josephinekelly

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could you explain a little more? I am not sure I understand your answer.

I am unaware of work permits etc for US citizens and will investigate this.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only citizens of EU member countries have the right to work in the UK with some exceptions such as British Dependant Territories.

All others need a work permit which is only available to certain professions such as doctor etc. The process is time consuming and must be done by the employer.

To turn it on its head. Lets say I want to move to the US with my wife and get a job. I have just an associate degree-what are my chances?

Your son in law could get illegal work such as barwork but it is casual and low paid.
josephinekelly

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But as he is married to my daughter who is a UK citizen, then doesn't this change things?
EnglishBrian

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there!

What is an 'Associate Degree'? I've never heard of one. Do we have those in the UK? If it's just 2 years it might be equivalent to an HND or something?

I'm wondering. Are you asking how useful this would be in getting an English teaching job in the UK or his general employment prospects? I think in the case of the former, if he's got no EFL qualification or experience he'd need to get an entry level qualification and he'd be starting right at the bottom (grim)! If you're wondering about employment in the UK generally, don't think I could comment.

About visas. If they're married then he'll be entitled to a residence permit. I don't know about work permits though. You'd think it'd be likely but of course there might be regulations in place designed to prevent marriages of convenience leading to the handout of work permits automatically. This is something you'd need to check 'with the authorities' to be 100% sure. Don't assume anything when it comes to visas!
josephinekelly

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are married and have been living together in US for two years now. He was taking the Associate Degree because he wanted to join the police force there, ie he had his eye on the Texas Rangers or FBI etc. He has an IQ of 159 but unfortunately did little about it when younger. He is 32 now. My daughter is working as a nurse in a Dallas hospital and is financing this full time course.

I think you are right, the Associate Degree is equivalent to our HND or a Foundation Degree, but again, how useful would this be on the general job market in UK?
sprightly

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

try contacting the careers office of colleges or unis, and speak to a counsellor there.

or, go to jobcentre--i think that's the uk gov't job help place? they would have a much better idea.

personally, i'm toying with coming here on "right of abode" as my grandmother is english. this gives me the right to live AND work in teh uk for 4 years.

the uk high commission/embassy websites are very helpful and reasonably clear on this stuff.
EnglishBrian

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried asking in your local Job Centre or Careers Service (not just for 18 year olds)? They might be able to give you a better idea especially if it's a particular area of the country they want to settle in. It might be your son in law's previous work experience rather than his studies that would help land a first job, but this would depend very much on the part of the UK they end up.

Good luck to them anyway.
EnglishBrian

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beaten to it by 3 minutes!
sifu_sensei

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 9:00 am    Post subject: Work Permit Reply with quote

As he's married to a British Citizen, he will be able to work freely in the UK once he has obtained a settlement visa. Not really a problem.

I think the Associate Degree is equivalent to a British HND and so he should be able to find a job, but EFL may not be the best career choice.

Cheers

Sifu

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EFL is never the best career choice.
josephinekelly

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, what is EFL?
Many thanks for your help.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why doesn`t your son in law find his own job? Why do you have to do it? I am getting the funny feeling that he is workshy and that your daughter will be supporting him even after he has got his associate degree.
josephinekelly

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I hope you are wrong. This post was to ascertain whether it was worth his finishing the course before thinking of coming over here. It seems to me that it would be worthwhile.

I really don't have to find him a job!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Kingdom All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: