Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Work Visa

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Costa Rica
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thombo

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 2:34 pm    Post subject: Work Visa Reply with quote

My girlfriend and I are hoping to move down to CR sometime this summer following graduation from college, and I have been researching job possibilities, locations, etc. (this site has really come in handy thus far).

Anyway, I recently emailed a contact I have in CR and she responded saying that "Unfortunately it is quite difficult to work in Costa Rica without a work permit and that is not so easy to come by but there are ways to get by."

What do you guys think about this? Will it be difficult to find work/get a work permit? How do people either get one or get around it?

Also, I speak fluent spanish and would love to teach english, but my girlfriend does not speak any spanish. What kinds of jobs should she be looking for?

Any help would be great!

Bruce
Guy Courchesne

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most people I have talked/emailed to work on the tourist visa (illegally, yes) and either do border runs every 3 months to Panama or pay the small fine when it comes time to go home.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
doreenp

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2005 6:36 pm    Post subject: work visa�s Reply with quote

Guy is right, once again! Most people in CR are here on tourist visa�s and leave every 90 days for a 72 hour period (great mini vacations) Some have been doing this for years.

I have posted this information before but will try a short version now.... from what I have been told, the CR gov�t will not issue work visa�s for English Teachers because there are too many Tico�s that speak English and are capable of doing this job (in the Gov�ts eyes).

Spanish is not needed to teach English, but a TEFL certificate goes along way .... There are tons of jobs and many teachers needed here.

good luck
cheers
Dee
Cheza

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 7:02 pm    Post subject: Fines Reply with quote

Guy you mentioned the fines for overstaying a tourist visa. This is what I'm doing, and I plan to pay the fine when I leave. But I'm not sure how much that will be. I've heard that it's $100-$200, but I've also heard that it gets bigger the longer you stay on an expired visa. This is of extreme interest to me, because my visa expired about nine months ago. I'd just like to know what to expect when I leave, anybody have experience in this, and can give me a better idea of how much I will have to pay?

thanx
-Cheza
Cheza

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 7:02 pm    Post subject: Fines Reply with quote

Guy you mentioned the fines for overstaying a tourist visa. This is what I'm doing, and I plan to pay the fine when I leave. But I'm not sure how much that will be. I've heard that it's $100-$200, but I've also heard that it gets bigger the longer you stay on an expired visa. This is of extreme interest to me, because my visa expired about nine months ago. I'd just like to know what to expect when I leave, anybody have experience in this, and can give me a better idea of how much I will have to pay?

thanx
-Cheza
Guy Courchesne

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A school in San Jose wrote me to say that it should cost between 50 and 60 us for the 'fine'. However, 9 months overstay is a bit longer. If you don't have to prove when you arrived, perhaps you should tell them you lost your visa and that it expired a week or two ago. Otherwise, get ready for some negotiation.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
doreenp

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2005 9:29 pm    Post subject: visa�s Reply with quote

Far be it from me to suggest that anyone go against the rules or laws of any country. Very Happy That being said here is what happened when i left last year.......
nothing!!!

I went to the airport and saw the people heading voluntarily to the immigration office where i imagine they were confessing their sin and paying the fine. I decided to go and check in first. They checked my passport against my ticket and checked my bags. So i proceeded to the next area, and carry on and body check and again, they checked my passport against my ticket and sent me thru. I held my breath till i got to the boarding gate but at no time did anyone look at the entry stamp on any of the pages. Was this luck or the way things are?? who knows.

I found leaving the country by bus was when i had the problems. Leaving CR they check the date stamps and on returning to CR I had to show proof of departure from CR for sometime in the next 3 mos. (this is covered by a 5.00 bus ticket back to whereever for the next week, then throw it away)

When travelling around CR I always carry a copy of the first pages of my passport and have never been asked for the date stamped pages.

So now that i�ve gone and jinxed myself for traveling, hope you do well!
cheers
Laughing
tesolitis

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2005 2:24 am    Post subject: overstaying your tourist date limit Reply with quote

most countries seem to be less concerned checking leaving passengers with air ticket, as these tickets are usually for short visits. Even uncle sam didn't care much _before_ the towers fell. I you bus - the low cost way - u are likely to be checked since u are a potentially illegal immigrant. In short, border controls are guided by probability.

A 1 week last minute ticket might be ok for the reentry game.

Question to the readers:

If you loose the entry slip (or it gets stolen) 2 days before last departure day, how many weeks will it take to replace it legally and with low/no cost? Can any police station help in accepting the loss report and starting the replacement process?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Costa Rica All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: