Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

who is good to work for?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
paisleyavenger

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2003 8:08 pm    Post subject: who is good to work for? Reply with quote

Three simple questions:

1 - who and where are the better places to work in Saudi?

2 - aside from the international jobs page, are there people in Saudi who help find work? ie recruiters?

3 - what are some good conditions for a job there?

Cheers Very Happy
scot47

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2003 6:36 am    Post subject: KSA Reply with quote

No recruiters. This is not Korea.

Avoid private language schools unless you are sure they are okay.

Government-financed colleges and universities can be okay. For the better jobs a Masters is useful. Expereince definitely required.

A lot depends on whether you want single or family status.

Check out the ads. Contact me for a free evaluation.

Not everyone can handle life in Saudi Arabia.
johnslat

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2003 3:52 am    Post subject: Some places Reply with quote

Dear PaisleyAvenger,
Well, KFUPM ( King Fah'd University of Petroleum and Minerals ) generally gets good reviews; the IPA ( Institute of Public Administration ) where I work in Riyadh, is, in my opinion, a good posting ( I must think so since I'm in my 18th year with them ); you sound(?) British, so British Aerospace might be a possibility ( the downsides there - you would, I'm pretty sure, be teaching the military, and that's always a hassle; and from what I hear, BA is undergoing some " downsizing " right now, so they may not be looking for teachers ). I agree with " scot " ( aka hamish, I believe ) that you'll need a Masters, preferably in TESOL or Lingistics, that you should avoid the " franchise operations " such as ELS and Berlitz, and that this country isn't for everyone - or even for many. I have no personal knowledge of the British Council postings, but that might be worth a try. Hope this helps some.
johnslat
Mark100

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2003 7:02 am    Post subject: Jobs Reply with quote

If you are American i would go with Aramco through a contractor they are recruiting at the moment and for americans they pay more than any other gig.You also can get a multi exit re entry visa and if stationed in Dhahran are only 40 mins from Bahrain.
Try Al Hoty of Jatco for a reasonable Aramco contractor.
KFUPM is also okay for conditions and hols but the pay is a bit low.
Just about every institution in Saudi is looking for teachers so you have a good range of options.
By the time you get there the looming war could well be over, hopefully!
jes

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2003 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are recruiters as well-I got my Aramco job through one. Try Ronnie Boyd and Associates in Houston. Check the directory for a #. Also try Cheryl Ryan I got my old job with the first and the former comes highly recommended. Drop me aline if you want details.
johnslat

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2003 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear jes,
So Ronnie Boyd and Associates is a good outfit, you'd say? The reason I ask is I have a friend / ex-colleague who's interviewing with them very shortly and it'd be nice to know that he's dealing with responsible people.
Thanks.
John
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: