Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Do I need a coat?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tarka_littleotter

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 8:57 pm    Post subject: Do I need a coat? Reply with quote

OK, yes, another stupid question but essential nonetheless! So, I've started packing properly now and I'm having to down size my bag to meet baggage allowance regulations. Do I need to take a coat? As in a coat for if it's cold or it rains. Does it rain? Does it ever get cold/

I really should know this by now but hey, I don't, so I'm asking!

Thanks Very Happy

Again!
Hector_Lector

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, of course! There are mice everywhere.

Embarassed Sorry, never read posts without glasses.

I thought you said �cat�.
Tarka_littleotter

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you SO much for your REALLY constructive advice Very Happy
got2go

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 11:35 pm    Post subject: I think not! Reply with quote

According to a posting I read somewhere, it stated that the weather is warn and that you will not be needing a coat. I checked the weather status yesterday in OMan and it stated it was 93 -96 degrees - real HOT, HOT, HOT!

You can also probably research and find yearly weather info in Oman.

Good luck!
crocus

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The most you would ever need would be a cardigan /sweater, but then really only if you are going into the mountains or the desert. Normally, you don't really need more than perhaps a camisole and top (on your top half!). Embarassed However, if you absolutely feel that you need a raincoat, you'll be able to find one there.

If you get down to Seeb you'll find a Sana clothes shop there, where it is possible to buy all sorts of cheap clothes - blouses, sweaters, t-shirts, underwear, etc. Sometimes there are especially good bargains when seconds from designer names arrive. Well, maybe they're fakes, but they're good quality.

Also, opposite and slightly to the left of Sana, up a small alley between an electrical store and a shoe shop, there's a very good tailor called Mr Das - a lot of Western women go there and it's really good value. He's good. I would recommend taking out a few pieces of clothing you're really in love with and then having him (or equivalent in Sohar; but ask for recommendations as sometimes the work is atrocious!) copy them in whatever material you buy. You can get all sorts of linen, cotton, etc, as well as the more glitzy stuff. That's what I do for teaching: I have a sort of 'uniform' of trousers and tunic-length top (three-quarter length sleeves; full-length during Ramadan) and I just vary the colours from day to day. Easy to teach in; easy to copy; considered to be respectable.

Don't overpack with clothes; it's a waste of baggage allowance.

Enjoy your new job.
Crocus
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good system Crocus,

Personally I found trousers to be way too warm. I found long, gauzy skirts to be much more comfortable.

Tarka and got2go, your first year, you will rarely feel cold. If you are there for a few years, your thermostat tends to move and like the locals, you feel that 90 degrees is moving towards chilly. Laughing

Check around with the other teachers to find a good tailor. There are many good ones. I rarely purchased clothes... just took a lot of nice cotton back with me every year. It was hard to find really good quality cotton there... and many will lie to you and tell you that 'everything' is cotton. Shocked

VS
grahamb

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 8:50 am    Post subject: Cold weather in Oman Reply with quote

As Scot47 said on the Saudi forum, many arabs are AC fanatics. Indoor hypothermia is not unknown here!
kaw

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although generally it doesn't get too cold I'd suggest a fleece or 2. Handy in the winter when the evenings can get cold and also for camping trips etc. As for a coat - a lightweight jacket would be an idea, but as has been said you can get one there to save on the luggage.
Remember that Oman not only has the small 'cheap and cheerful' shops but all the larger 'highstreet' shops as well (Debenahms, M&S, Monsoon, Next etc) - there's also the South African 'Woolworths' that sells clothes (though not maybe what you'd really want). If that isn't enough for you - a trip to Dubai should be able to get you sorted.

Oh - if Oman was anything like Bahrain - last year - it was pretty cold so just be warned.
Tarka_littleotter

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for all your useful info!

I had a lot of clothes made in Azerbaijan by a local tailor so am a fan of this mehtod of acquiring new clothing anyway!

I didn't know M&S and other such shops were out there! Are the prices ridiculously high or are they ok? There were a lot of those kind of shops in Az but I avoided them as they were really expensive.

OK, so I might pack a fleece and wait for offers of camping trips to buy a jackety thing out there. Thank you!

I'm not actually going yet, but I've got so bored waiting i thought there was no harm in packing and being ready!
crocus

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a further thought: for the indoor hypothermia, treat yourself to a pashmina. You can get some super ones, which are not too expensive.

Crocus
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The longer we go with this the more details jump to mind. Yes, a light sweater is a good idea to keep at the office as they do tend to have it set way too cold.

Also... the coldest that you will probably be is in your own flat at night. The housing is built for extreme heat, so for a month or so in the winter you might like to have a good pair of sweats... not sure if they call these something else in the UK... is that what you mean by a 'fleece?'

I even had a little space heater to use at that time as I hate to get up and try to shower when it is cold in my flat. (I'm such a wuss....)

VS
got2go

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 2:43 am    Post subject: weather Reply with quote

What's the coldest it's ever been that you can remember, VS or anyone else? It must get real cold that a space heater is needed? With my kids and me, I should probably pack a few of what you mentioned here b/c I"m already cold just reading the postings! (LOL)

Thanks for sharing this info!
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cold is a relative thing... when it has been over 100 degrees outside, 50 feels very cold. (whereas if it has been -20, 50 feels balmy...) It is often colder inside your flat that it is outside because most buildings are made of concrete or stone.

If you have kept your home in the US at 70 or 75 degrees, you will feel cold when it gets down to 50... with bare feet on ice cold floors. There is no central heating (and AC is usually from wall units). To be honest I never paid any attention to the actual temperature, but I doubt that it will get much below the upper-40s and that will be rare - but that will be the same temp in your bedroom and bathroom...

As I said, I only used a space heater during the coldest month of the year... but I hate being cold... Laughing

VS
crocus

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find I get coldest in my house in the summer months because I have my ac so low in reaction to the heat outside. That's when I sit with a shawl on; yes, instead of putting off the ac, because it's summer and it's hot in summer! Rolling Eyes

Winter I find glorious. It's not cold at all for a cold country expat but I will admit the students go around wearing shawls and coats. At home I leave my windows open, eat out in the garden, wear short-sleeved t-shirts.

Space heaters? Fleeces? Raincoats? Mmmm; not in my version of life in Oman.

However you approach it, enjoy!

Crocus
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Crocus... looks like you and I have different 'personal thermostats' Laughing I only turned on my AC when it was really hot and I kept the temp inside at about 25/26 (high 70's F) - and that is the temp that I like to keep it year around.

Of the countries that I lived in, Oman was the warmest in the winter and I had to add 'heat' in the winter least often. Normally only in the early morning to take off the chill... and that was only for about a month.

VS
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Oman All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: