Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Belfast Academy, anyone heard of it?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Kingdom
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zach_w

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 11:43 pm    Post subject: Belfast Academy, anyone heard of it? Reply with quote

Hello all,

I replied to a posting for a school called Belfast Academy in Liverpool, England and received an e-mail back promptly- the school looks amazing! Has anyone heard of this school or know of anywhere I can find some more information on it? Thank you and take care.

Zach
zach_w

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess this is a new school opening up and it sounds like an awesome opprtunity. How about that- a Canadian teaching English in England? Sounds like an absurd but cool concept to me. Take care.

Zach
SueH

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ad says they are looking for volunteers and say they will provide accommodation and a living allowance. Extremely dodgy, I would say; as is the language in the ad.

Also they aren't in the phone book..

Edit: PS: It maybe cool that a Canadian might end up teaching English in England (I personally know Italians and Argentinians who have) but for this job maybe it's only Canadians who are that desperate? Do be careful.
zach_w

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2005 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the reply. I, most certainly, am going about this very cautiously. In e-mailing the school back and forth, they have given me several references and contact info for teachers. The contract has been outlined very extensively and all seems to be quite legit; however, if you are telling me they can not be found in the phonebook, this has me a tad bit concerned. It's not that I'm desperate to begin teaching, but all looks to be fairly adequate and the pay is fantastic. They're giving me a chance as a brand new ESL teacher so I can respect them for that. Maybe let me know how the British school system works seeing as you are from there. Thank you.

Zach
jrein

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 2:15 am    Post subject: Belfast Academy: Where are you with them? Reply with quote

I am looking into this a little bit too...I have exchanged only 2 or 3 emails with them, and they have basically offered me a job already! I am skeptical, but I am wondering if you have gotten anywhere with them. Please email me at [email protected]
marisaw

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My friend also received a reply from them and thought the ad was too good to be true so I applied just to see if I would get the same response...and I did. They are asking for a physical address and name to mail a check to for a face to face interview which seems a little odd. I can't imagine how they have so much money to fly everyone over for an interview. Also my friend called the Department of Education and Skills and found out that the school is not registered with them also she found out that the phone number is a cell phone number not a land line.
It all seems a little sketchy but at the same time I don't know how it could hurt to fly over for an interview, especially if the flight is free.
trickee2

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 2:35 am    Post subject: Belfast Academy???? Reply with quote

So, I'm having both of my friends apply to this job and one of them has received the same response. I called the dept of ED. and Skills in the UK and Belfast was not registered with them. Zach did you get a contract?? What does it look like?? Have you contacted any of the teachers?? Also, I tried calling their contact numbers and they don't work. She told me that they were have 'technical difficulties'. When I asked the Dept of Ed. lady, she said that number was a cell phone number. It seem odd that they would give a cell phone instead of an office number. I'm proceeding with caution.
trickee2

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 2:43 am    Post subject: Another Email Reply with quote

I just got an email from the travel agency they wanted to do all my visa work. I can't find them in the phone book either. They wanted 200 british pounds, but they said Belfast was mailing me the check so I could pay them. Why wouldn't they just give them the money instead of send it to me?? It's just weird that they want to send me so much money.
jrein

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 7:03 am    Post subject: THIS IS CLEARLY A SCAM!!!!!!! Reply with quote

please email these people and tell them to get fucked. Any of you that have any ideas on how to land these people in jail should go for it...

Twisted Evil
trickee2

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 7:40 am    Post subject: What happened? Reply with quote

Did they do something to you?? Did they take your money?? I haven't given them any information except for what's on my resume.
SandyM

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mmm, this looks like a first-class scam to me (or rather, third class - it's pretty transparent, isn't it?). They offer you a job, but you have to pay 200 quid for visa work. It's been tried (and worked!) in Asia before, and now it seems the trick is on here, too.

Only the gullible would cough up 200 quid for a job at a school that doesn't even exist. Maybe that's why they're targetting certain countries...??

I'll follow this one with interest.

Sandy M

BTW, what's the cellphone number? I'd like to give them a call myself.
trickee2

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The phone numbers they give are +447031943005 and
+447031840222 and the thing is they don't want any money from me. They told me to wait until I received a check. You would have to be a complete idiot to send that much money to anyone for something you're not for sure about. If you get through, let me know, cause I tried several times to no avail. I agree with you in saying something isn't quite right but I'm gonna play this game with them a little while longer just to see where it goes.
SueH

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remember, just because they send you a cheque doesn't mean that you will be able to cash it. It's a standard up-front payment scam. Don't waste any more time with it unless for the entertainment value. Not sure if the police will be at all bothered, although the DofEd might be interested.
zach_w

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been e-mailing a Mrs Grace Howard back and forth for quite some time now. She has assured me that I don't have to pay 200 GBP up front and should just wait for the cheque they are sending out. I'm under the same impression as marisaw and trickee2- if the flight is free what can it hurt? I'm gathering that this is a brand new school opening up and they are actively seeking to recruit teachers at present. I was informed that Mrs Howard is in Manchester at present meeting with what appears to be a board of directors/sponsors before they can mail out any cheques for flights. I am approaching this situation with a great deal of skepticism myself and you all should. Be sure to receive and cash the cheques for the flight before you head there. Do not pay the 200 GBP to Bellview Agency until you receive the cheque. I am sure all can be worked out and hopefully turns out to be legitimate. The offer seems to be very great, especially by European standards. To be making more in Europe than in Asia would be nice! Good luck everyone and maybe I'll see you in England.

Zach
fitzpatrick_thomas

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2005 10:39 am    Post subject: Belfast School Reply with quote

I have had the same offer. they seemed to think that I was not British(I am) and told me to contact the agency for the visa and wait for the check.
When I told them they had made a mistake they said wait again. They have not contacted me since. The line they gave me - "come for the interview and we will pay your ticket in advance so you have nothing to lose" sounds to good to be true. Also I did not apply for the job - they found my CV on the internet.

Still waiting but will spend no money.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Kingdom All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: