Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

In "their own" words?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Newbie Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
C76

Location: somewhere between beauty and truth...in Toronto. ;)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2003 8:35 pm    Post subject: In "their own" words? Reply with quote

Hi Everyone,

Just making sure I'm on the right track.

If you're looking for work in a foreign country, is it better to send your correspondence in your target language? For instance, I would like to work in Spain or Latin America. Lately I've been working on getting my resume translated. Are there any reasons why I shouldn't do so?

Or would it be better for me to assume that since my info will be sent to a language school, that "Surely someone there will speak/read English...". Hence, I needn't bother...

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Claire
bnix

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2003 9:40 pm    Post subject: Translation of Your Resume..... Reply with quote

Most places would probably take the Englsih version of your resume. Undoubtedly there is someone at most schools to which you might apply with at least enough English to read your resume.I am not saying it is a bad idea to get it translated, maybe just unnecessary in most circumstances.

What I would really worry about is getting a translation of your degree(s).In some countries(I am not sure about Latin America) they will only take a translated version,and sometimes they will not take just any old translation either....the translation must be done by someone certified in that country to do translations.The Czech Republic is one place that requires this.

As far as corresponding in the foreign language to prospective employers, it might favorably impress some....but just make sure your correspondence does not contain any errors....it could be embarrassing if you write the correspondence in the native language and make some grammatical faux pas or something.
bnix

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2003 9:41 pm    Post subject: "English" Reply with quote

I made a typo. Smile
johnslat

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2003 3:02 am    Post subject: False impression? Reply with quote

Dear C76,
" Lately I've been working on getting my resume translated."
I take it, then, that you're not " fluent " in the language ( Spanish? ). If you had your resume translated but didn't mention the fact that you aren't fluent in that " native language ", you'd almost certainly be giving a false impression. Since you'll be applying to schools that teach English, I think you can count on the fact that someone there will be able to read your resume; if no one can, perhaps you wouldn't want to work there, anyway.
Regards,
John
Kent F. Kruhoeffer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2003 4:34 am    Post subject: just my 2 cents Reply with quote

Dear Claire:

It's a good question you raised, and you have already received some decent input from john and bnix. Let me just add a couple cents to that.

First, I think it is an excellent idea AND very important to mention your Spanish ability prominently within your cover letter and on your resume'.

Regarding initial contacts and cover letters: I would stick to English. Why?

It's quite likely that the first person who sees your resume' will be a DOS or an ADOS, and these people are almost ALWAYS native speakers of English. The DOS's job, basically, is to 'weed out' the good apps from the not-so-good; to narrow down the field, so to speak. Then, the DOS will consult directly with the school's owner or director about the final selection.

While the school's owner or director will be HIGHLY impressed with your Spanish fluency, the DOS may or may not be. It's a crap shoot.

What I'm trying to say is this: By writing everything in Spanish, you could actually 'put someone off'.

Take me as a classic example. I'm heavily involved with hiring decisions here at the school I work for in Russia, and although I do 'get by' pretty well in Russian, I would be a bit overwhelmed if I were to receive an application which was completely written in Russian.

Personally, I would not 'deep 6' the application, but I would feel a bit stupid, and that's not really the best way to score brownie points in your bid to land a job.

Bottom line: If the employer is interested in 'testing' your Spanish fluency, they will ask you about it, or possibly arrange a phone interview with you, in which you can orally demonstrate your ability.

Having a translated version of your resume' is a GREAT idea, by the way, but I'd send out the first resume' in English, with a brief remark in your cover letter somewhere toward the bottom ... that you'd be happy to send the translated version upon request.

Just my 2 cents for ya on a rainy Monday morning in Russia! Razz

Good luck, Claire.
keNt
Capergirl

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2003 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless the job advertisement specified fluency in Spanish as a qualification, it would not be a good idea--not to mention the fact that you are clearly not a fluent speaker of Spanish or you wouldn't need to have your resume translated, in which case it's definitely not a good idea. Personally, I feel it is wise to send all correspondence/documentation in English. The school or company doing the hiring is looking for evidence that you are indeed fluent in English and that you are able to express yourself in an above average manner (or at the very least that you have a degree in your native tongue that proves you to be moderately intelligent). Your potential employers may or may not understand the nuances of the English language. That really isn't the point. If it were me, I would focus on editing my resume for typos, grammatical and spelling errors, syntax errors, coherence, and unity. Your English in real life may not be perfect, but on paper, it should appear flawless.
C76

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2003 12:16 pm    Post subject: my resume Reply with quote

Thank you all for your great advice. Smile

John, you guessed right. I am at an "intermediate" level, as far as my Spanish is concerned. And when it comes to fomal correspondence, I have no real clue.

For instance, I caught a glimpse of what a "real" Spanish resume is supposed to look like. Apparently they want a lot of personal info at the beginning, etc. Nothing like what I'm used to.

Kent...DOS? Director of Students? Question

My Newbie-ness really is showing, isn't it. Shocked
Kent F. Kruhoeffer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2003 12:52 pm    Post subject: DOS - ADOS Reply with quote

Dear C76:

It's OK to be a newbie. We were all newbies at one time or another. Very Happy

DOS stands for Director of Studies, and ADOS stands for Assistant Director of Studies.

These poor saps (myself included) usually act as arbitrators between school management and native teaching staff, coordinate training programs, hire new teachers, etc, etc ...

Good luck, Amigo Exclamation

keNt
johnslat

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2003 1:06 pm    Post subject: Perpetual newbiehood Reply with quote

Dear keNt,
One slight corrrection to your words below:

" We were all newbies at one time or another. "

I think the tense should be " present simple ":

" We ARE all newbies at one time or another ".

because learning new things, being in new situations, encountering new difficulties never stops - and that's VERY good.
Regards,
John
C76

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2003 1:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Perpetual newbiehood Reply with quote

johnslat wrote:
Dear keNt,
One slight corrrection to your words below:

" We were all newbies at one time or another. "

I think the tense should be " present simple ":

" We ARE all newbies at one time or another ".

because learning new things, being in new situations, encountering new difficulties never stops - and that's VERY good.
Regards,
John

I'm finding the same thing. Even though I'm still a student-teacher, every time I teach, I learn something new...about myself, what will and won't work with students, etc. It never ends!! Laughing
MELEE

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2003 2:20 pm    Post subject: Re: just my 2 cents Reply with quote

Kent F. Kruhoeffer wrote:
Dear Claire:

Regarding initial contacts and cover letters: I would stick to English. Why?
<snip>
What I'm trying to say is this: By writing everything in Spanish, you could actually 'put someone off'.

Here here!

I have to say as someone who does the hiring, I usually bin people who write all in Spanish. (some people don't even include English versions!) If I'm feeling generous, I write back and say that you must apply in English because we don't care if you can express yourself in Spanish, but we definately care that you can express yourself well in English.
C76

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2003 5:27 pm    Post subject: Re: just my 2 cents Reply with quote

MELEE wrote:

If I'm feeling generous, I write back and say that you must apply in English because we don't care if you can express yourself in Spanish, but we definately care that you can express yourself well in English.

Hmmm. I guess it's full speed ahead with my English submissions. When I think about it, it makes perfect sense. I know that some level of proficiency in the students' native tongue might help. (I'm thinking of a teacher's basic survival around town, etc.) However, the students are there to learn how to speak/understand English.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Newbie Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: