Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

TESOL, TEFL, TOEFL, CELTA - what's the difference?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Newbie Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hallie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2003 9:57 pm    Post subject: TESOL, TEFL, TOEFL, CELTA - what's the difference? Reply with quote

Alright I'm new at this so don't laugh at me. Embarassed What's the difference between TESOL, TEFL, TOEFL, and CELTA? Not all countries require you to have a certifcate in them do they? I have a B.A. and a B.Ed. so would I need one of those certificates if I already have my teaching certification (B.Ed.)?
bnix

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2003 10:17 pm    Post subject: Suggestion:Do Not Waste Your Money on a Cert... Reply with quote

If you have a B.Ed., you already have appreciably more qualifications than a lot of people "teaching" in this field. At least you have a degree in education, not philosophy,animal husbandry, basketweaving,etc. Laughing
Of course, it also depends on where and at what level you wish to teach.Generally speaking, those cert things exist to put money in the pockets of the people who run the programs.I am not saying they are ALL useless or crooked, just most of them.If you do decide you want and must have a cert, do a lot of shopping around and research before you hand any money to anyone.There are a lot of scam artists in the "certificate" business. Rolling Eyes

As for the difference between all those acronyms,TESOL,TEFL,etc...nobody REALLY cares, probably.It is probably just really a case if you can't dazzle 'em with your brilliance,baffle 'em with your BS. That said, maybe those distinctions are important to a few people in the field(or at least they think they are important), and I am sure we will hear from some of them on this matter.

Good luck.Again, think it over carefully,and do your research before deciding to get a cert and before you give any money to anyone. That B.Ed you already have will be sufficient to get you a job in TESOL in many,if not most situations.
Celeste

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2003 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
What's the difference between TESOL, TEFL, TOEFL, and CELTA?

Valid question. Here are some answers.

The first two acronyms describe what we do. Some certificates have been named for this.

TESOL-Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages

TEFL-Teaching English as a Foreign Language.

The third one is a test that many universities require their international studnets to pass before they can enroll in classes.

TOEFL
Test Of English as a Foreign Language.

The final one is the acronym of one of the industry standard courses. Particularly well recognized in Europe, parts of Asia, N. America.

(Cambridge)CELTA
Certificate of English Language Teaching of Adults

Hope that clears things up. (note to old hands- if I screwed up anny of the acronyms, correct me please)

Quote:
I have a B.A. and a B.Ed. so would I need one of those certificates if I already have my teaching certification (B.Ed.)?

NO. But you might find it useful to do a short course before you start a job teaching ESL/EFL. Like any specialty subject, there are some tricks of the trade that were probably not covered in your B.Ed.
ESL Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2003 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Celeste is right!

In one sense they are all the same. They certify that you are an instant expert in teaching ESL.

Each is different in that they teach a different pedogogy and methodology.

Unfortunately, some of our learned admins over blow their value and require a particular one as a job qualification.

In reality, you will obtain on the job experience that is much more valuable for someone with your credentials.

Bottom line, they are money making machines, cash cows.

Many high school graduates obtain one and then teach. Or someone with a non-English major obtains one and then tries to teach.

I could write a book .....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Newbie Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: