Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cairo - going rates for 1-2-1 teaching and any jobs going?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
janicebalaam

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 9:31 am    Post subject: Cairo - going rates for 1-2-1 teaching and any jobs going? Reply with quote

Hi there!

I have just arrived in Cairo and am looking for a full-time teaching job, but in the mean time, I have managed to pick up some private tuition. Does anyone out there know what the going rate is ? I have a fairly rich Eqyptian adult and 2 kids (together) interested. I am new to this whole game and wondered if someone could help!!!!

Also, while I'm here, does anyone know of any schools recruiting at the mo or have any recommendations? I know there are a lot of international schools but would ideally prefer to teach mainly adults ( I have CELTA) (and ideally locals rather than expat kids). Apart from that, does anyone know if there is a bit of Cairo where they are concentrated? I have had a look round but they seem to be all over the place!!! What a nightmare....

Thanks a lot

Janice Laughing
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 4:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Cairo - going rates for 1-2-1 teaching and any jobs goin Reply with quote

janicebalaam wrote:
I know there are a lot of international schools but would ideally prefer to teach mainly adults ( I have CELTA) (and ideally locals rather than expat kids). Apart from that, does anyone know if there is a bit of Cairo where they are concentrated? I have had a look round but they seem to be all over the place!!!

I'm a bit confused here... what are you expecting to be concentrated? Schools? expats? available students? OK... just generally, the more affluent neighborhoods would be Ma'adi, Zamalek, Mohandessin, and parts of Masr Gedida (Heliopolis) - and probably some of the new farther suburbs.

I have been too long out of Egyptian private lessons to know the going rates. So, I can't help you out. One option might be to head over to AUC and do some networking. Ask students where they went to school and whether they hire expat teachers. Find the English Language Center (MAs only) and see if you can talk to some teachers. Go to their other campus down the block and talk to people at the Adult Education Center. (near the library) They hire teachers, but the pay is local scale. Check out the various language schools - ILI - British Council. At this time of the year, they are likely the only ones hiring.

Hopefully someone will come on and can give you more specific information. But there are not to many people currently employed there who are regulars here.

Good Luck

VS
janicebalaam

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that. I had similar ideas! Just to clear up the concentrated thing - I was meaning whether there is a concentration of adult language schools or whether they are scattered all over Cairo?

Thanks

Janice
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2005 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh... I'd guess that you will find most of them in the more affluent neighborhoods that I mentioned... since that is where there are people who can afford lessons. Wink

If you can get over to AUC, check out the bookstore and find a copy of AUC Press' Cairo Practical Guide. Lots of good information for the Cairo newbie (though not by any means a job hunting guide). There may be a listing of the language schools in there. They also have good maps.

Cairo is ever a challenge Laughing but never boring!!

VS
teacherincairo

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VS is right. Get the AUC Cairo guide. Loads of good info there. I can't help you with adult teaching gigs unfortunately. (Although I do know the going rate for private tutoring is about 100 to 120 pounds an hour.) But I can help you a bit with international schools. We are approaching the time when more than a few teachers bail on their schools. Semester is up, teaching those kids is a nightmare, homesickness.. so it's a good time to send out your CV. The top end schools won't touch you unless you are certified, but the second tier (and lower) international schools will. Send your CV to the director, call and check up. You never know. Last January my school hired three teachers about this time.

The international schools here in Cairo do not teach expat kids (except CAC), they teach Egyptian kids. Most of the schools are located in the Katameya/New Cairo area off the ring road. A google search should get you the names and numbers of at least dozen such schools here. The pay for local hires isn't great and the teaching these kids is tough, but its a job.

As far as meeting teachers, try the expat clubs. Loads of teachers go to the BCA club in Heliopolis, and my teaching crew can usually be found nightly at the ACE club in Maadi. (Teachers are easy to spot at these clubs, we're the younger expats with the frightened deer eyes, but without the alcoholic noses and beer guts. We haven't been around long enough yet.)
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

teacherincairo wrote:
(Teachers are easy to spot at these clubs, we're the younger expats with the frightened deer eyes, but without the alcoholic noses and beer guts. We haven't been around long enough yet.)

Thanks for the good laugh with my morning cup of tea. Laughing That does rather summarize a rather large segment of the Middle East expat population... certainly for the last 20 years that I have been around it...

VS
CleverFlower

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2006 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

teacherincairo wrote:
As far as meeting teachers, try the expat clubs. Loads of teachers go to the BCA club in Heliopolis, and my teaching crew can usually be found nightly at the ACE club in Maadi.

What's the BCA club? Where is it??
teacherincairo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2006 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BCA stands for the British Community Association. It' a club (like all expat clubs) set up as a shelter from the storm of life in a foreign land. The BCA is in a villa, has 3 floors, two bars, TV's, library, pool tables, darts, restaurant, patio... Just a nice place to go for a beer every week. You don't have to be a Brit to visit or join. The first visit is free, after that it's 10 pounds. Joining is also very affordable.

The BCA is a pretty tricky place to find. (The expat clubs do not advertise their locations with big signs or anything.) They have a website: http://www.bcaegypt.com/ with loose maps for both locations.

The BCA in Heliopolis is not far off Mirghani St. The best way for me to give directions is sort of from my old flat: Take Thawra to Mirghani. (From my place Nozha was the first big cross street, then Mirghani.) Turn left (you take the flyover) onto Mirghani. This will require a u-turn. As you head down Mirghani you'll see a KFC/Hardees on the left hand side of the road. You'll want to turn there. You'll have to do a U-turn a bit past the KFC, so you'll end up turning right off Mirghani on the road in front of the KFC. Head down that road. You'll turn right at the second street. Go about half way down the block, keep on the right hand side of the street if you are on foot. You'll see a villa with a large black gate. In front are also two large trees in big blue barrels. That's the club. Ring the bell.

The BCA is a very good club. Far more "family" oriented and friendly than the ACE or Rugby clubs in Maadi, and far more affordable than the Maadi Club. Good and friendly people in there. It was our home away from home away from home for a year before my wife and I moved to Maadi. The BCA is the only thing we miss about Heliopolis.

It took a while to find the place the first time. So it might be best to call them and have one of the bar staff give your driver/taxi driver directions.
CleverFlower

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2006 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much teacherincairo! These were very detailed clear directions. I live nearby. I might give it a try.

CleverFlower
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Egypt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: