Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tax advice - please help
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
hatter

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 3:19 pm    Post subject: Tax advice - please help Reply with quote

Embarassed Ok, maybe I was stupid. I didnt pay tax, I didnt ever register. I stayed 2 years in Germany and have moved on. I left over 6 months ago. Now my friend, who lives at my old address in Germany says a tax form has come, which must be handed in before the end of October. On advice from fellow teachers I kept all my bills for clothes, transport, meals out etc, understanding that these could be tax deductible.

I was a freelancer. Didnt earn too much - maybe 1000 euros a month on average. Dont think the tax will be too high, but also not sure if there are penalties etc?

Im going to have to get a consultant (even though Im in the UK now) and might have to go back for a few days to sort this out. Any advice on tax, deducations, advisors and ANYTHING would be appreciated. I just dont know where to start! Shocked
poro

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 11:26 am    Post subject: PM for you! Reply with quote

Hatter, I believe I can help you, and have sent you a personal message - please read it.

There's something I don't want to post on this board.
Hod

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2005 11:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Tax advice - please help Reply with quote

hatter wrote:
I was a freelancer. Didnt earn too much - maybe 1000 euros a month on average. :

I don't wish to be rude, but I'm about to move in to a Berlin apartment that costs 1100 euros a month. 1000 euros a month pay? What did you eat?

Anyway, you've left. Forget the tax. That country obviously did you no favours.
poro

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 4:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Tax advice - please help Reply with quote

Hod wrote:

Anyway, you've left. Forget the tax. That country obviously did you no favours.

Eminently sensible advice. But there are other reasons why the forms should be sent back marked "unbekannt verzogen", in addition to the tax liability.
butterbrot

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 3:40 am    Post subject: taxes Reply with quote

So Hod, you're moving back to Germany and are able to pay a nice sum for a swanky flat now. What does 1100 euro buy in Berlin? I don't know how you can do it on a teacher's salary but good luck!

Regarding taxes, I'd agree with both Hod and poro. I wouldn't pay them unless I was ever planning to return. But do definitely take poro's advice!!!
Hod

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 9:20 am    Post subject: Re: taxes Reply with quote

butterbrot wrote:
What does 1100 euro buy in Berlin? I don't know how you can do it on a teacher's salary but good luck!

Who's teaching? As an EU citizen, I can do any job in Germany.
hatter

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is exactly why I didnt pay tax! Only �1000/month on average. I had support from my boyfriend who had a "real" job. And some months I made more, but close-down times over Summer holidays and Christmas really killed me. I think we all know its not the fastest route to becoming a millionaire. Surprised Thanks for the advice anyway!
poro

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 5:42 pm    Post subject: Tax Reply with quote

The maximum tax liability for 24 * �1,000 is around �1,600 - assuming it was earned in two calendar years. But it was probably earned over two part-years and one full year, which can bring the liability down significantly.

So the tax itself might not be such a staggering amount; but if they also ask her to make pension contributions, and 'nursing insurance' contributions, the bill will uncomfortable, to say the least.

Not to mention certain other considerations.

I know quite a few people who'd be examining their commitment to that country, or at least to that Bundesland, in those circumstances.
hatter

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 4:55 pm    Post subject: Anyone evaded tax and survived? Reply with quote

Im still avoiding the tax...despite more letters. Did anyone actually get away with this? Im worried I will have to pay this back with penalties if I ignore it.
poro

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What did the letters say, and how do they know where you are?
hatter

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The letters are just tax declaration froms. I first got one at the end of last year, and then an extension one. They dont know where I am. Does anyone know about penalties involved if they do track me down? Im just so responsible and feel so guilty! And my boyfriend is giving me a hrad time, telling me I should just pay it.
butterbrot

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hatter wrote:
The letters are just tax declaration froms. I first got one at the end of last year, and then an extension one. They dont know where I am. Does anyone know about penalties involved if they do track me down? Im just so responsible and feel so guilty! And my boyfriend is giving me a hrad time, telling me I should just pay it.

How are you receiving the 'declaration forms' if they don't know where you are?
hatter

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Butterbrot, my friend still lives in our old flat. So he keeps telling me about them.
lisa_melvin1982

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought if you stayed less than two years, then you didn't need to pay any tax. That's how I'd interepreted the rules anyway.
lisa_melvin1982

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And also, 1000 eur a month is more than enough to live on in Berlin - I reckon you could get by on 600 quite easily. I can't imagine how big/nice a 1000 eur apartment must be, but the one I'm planning on moving into is 350 with a huge sitting room/nice kitchen and in a nice area (Prenzlauerberg).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Germany All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: