Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

alcohol and flats in Salalah

View previous topic :: View next topic  
barmadu

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 4:05 am    Post subject: alcohol and flats in Salalah Reply with quote

Hi there, is there any truth to some of the posts here that say there are no alcohol vendors outside of Muscat? Can beer be found in Salalah?

Another question, how much do flats go for in Salalah? Can furniture be found cheaply? Do teachers/expats have fire sales when they are leaving?

Any info would be great.
Thanks
manoflettersk466

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 4:50 am    Post subject: salalah queries Reply with quote

Oh Yes, there is booze in Salalah. I shopped regularly at least 3 outlets that I recall. Prices are great, and the selection is, well, interesting. If you are after beer specifically, they usually carry around 10 different types, mostly from Europe. I paid roughly 1/3 the price for a bottle of Vodka or Gin than I would have done here in Canada. But please NEVER drink or even smell of booze in public. no no no no.
oh yes...you will need the PERMIT to buy booze....or hook up with another teacher who has one.........
I think flats (semi-furnished) should run you around 80 - 120/month.
There are lots of shops to buy cheap furniture in. Yes teachers often sell things.
barmadu

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that!!! Sounds fine. How much does beer cost? Just curious.
abufletcher

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing I learned from 12 years in the Gulf. It is possible to have a full and satisfying life without alcohol. Most Omanis seem to get by just fine without.
manoflettersk466

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 9:14 pm    Post subject: oman life Reply with quote

Very true words of wisdom.....then again, they get to have 4 wives, no taxes, and they can chew qat occasionally...........
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well... nowadays few can afford 4 wives. My students whose father had more than one were quite adament that they thought one was enough. Laughing

I have never heard of Omanis using qat, but I suppose that it may show up around the borders with Yemen.

And... perish the thought... there has even been discussion of taxes!! Shocked

VS
barmadu

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the morality lesson regarding alcohol, I'll try and keep it in mind. That aside, does anyone know the price?
Thanks again
manoflettersk466

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 6:13 am    Post subject: salalah Reply with quote

Ironic isn't it ....that alcohol is one of the few Arabic words in the English Lexicon......and they have rejected it .... anyway I don't actually remember the price of beer, although it was cheaper than I would pay in Canada ... there was usually a brand or two on sale as well at very good prices....watch out for the older red wines though ...that desert conditions just doesn't respect the grape...
abufletcher

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

barmadu wrote:
Thanks for the morality lesson regarding alcohol

You're welcome. Very Happy Actually I have no moral/religious objection whatsoever to alcohol. I just find it odd that this stuff has become so thoroughly embedded in a great many (most?) cultures that we can scarely image a life in society without it. It's interesting to experience a culture where we can see a different way.

BTW, during my travels in Yemen the world literally came to a halt for the afternoon qat chewing session. I've chewed the stuff myself and honestly I can't see any effect whatsoever (other than loose cheek muscles Very Happy ). It'd consider it much weaker than beer -- maybe about the same as a couple cups of coffee but supposedly operating in the other ("let's mellow out") direction.
abufletcher

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW, several years ago I was in Moscow at the same time there was an international Jehovah's Witness conference going on. There were more than 100 Jehovah's Witnesses staying at my hotel alone. What I found really fascinating was to to see The Jehovah's Witnesses from Spain buying big bottles of Vodka for their end of the week celebrations. I asked them about this (yes, I actually initiated a conversation with a Jehovah's Witness) and they said "it's fine as long as you don't pollute your body."

For the Russians though, my protestations that "Ya ne pyu" ("I don't drink") was as nonsensical as stating that "I don't breath." At one medical clinic I visited in Kamchatka the doctor said that over 90% of the medical problems she experienced were alcohol related.
Aliskander

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 12:54 pm    Post subject: Salalah Reply with quote

Be aware that many flats have increased their rents this year by quite a lot. If you have someone in the know you may still find a decent one at around 80. Al Sikeena (Haj Mohammed) are really good. Check that you can have a permanant contract rather than a Khareef contract other wise every year you and your furniture have to move out! Where you go no one cares!
Alcohol is available in Salalah although even most of the expat community don't drink like they used to. It is accepted but not as freely as in the North.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 3:57 pm    Post subject: Re: salalah Reply with quote

manoflettersk466 wrote:
Ironic isn't it ....that alcohol is one of the few Arabic words in the English Lexicon......and they have rejected it ....

There certainly is an irony there, but there are many Arabic derived words in English. The OED has 900 according to this site of the more common words: admiral, adobe, alchemy, algebra, algorithm, alfalfa... through coffee, cotton, orange, and sugar... down to zenith and zero.

http://www.zompist.com/arabic.html
carnac

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

abufletcher - "It is possible to have a full and satisfying life without alcohol. Most Omanis seem to get by just fine without." Not around Muscat, if the hotel bars are anything to go by. Packed with good Muslim Omanis swilling down the hootch and very happy. Not a "typical" Muslim country, but then, most folks seem to think that Saudi Arabia is the model. It's not. From my students (adult) when we are planning a beach party: "Teacher, can you bring wine?" They can't buy it from a store, only at a hotel bar. I never, never would do this - absolutely haram, could be arrested and deported for this. My housemaid scolded me for leaving a bottle of stuff visible through my window, saying that Omanis would break into my flat to steal alcohol. She knows, since she has seen it happen with other clients.
Agree with previous comment to never go out with alcohol on your breath, but this would apply everywhere, including the West, I would imagine. Shows poor taste and judgement.
OP was looking for prices: Dunno much about beer. But, it's all cheap. If it can be measured by this comparison, vodka runs maybe RO2.5/bottle; a good Muscadet is maybe RO4, where in the US the price would be at least double. So I would estimate at least half the price of what you may be used to. A carton of cigarettes which would these days be around $50-$60 is here RO6, about USD15.
Up to the user whether or not to commit slow, cheap suicide.
Very Happy
abufletcher

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

carnac wrote:
abufletcher - "It is possible to have a full and satisfying life without alcohol. Most Omanis seem to get by just fine without." Not around Muscat, if the hotel bars are anything to go by.

It's not without reason that Oman was previously referred to as "Muscat and the Oman." The capital area is worlds away from smaller villages in the interior.

Things have obviously changed dramatically since I was there in the early 1990's -- not least of all the fact that there seems to be about a billion English teachers all over Oman. In fact, I can't help chuckling at the idea of an English language school in Rustaq or Ibri!

Going on a beach picnic with students strikes me as equally bizarre. When I was there (at SQU), any kind of "fraternization" with students was strongly discouraged including even something as simple as an end of semester in-class party. EFL teachers were strictly hired guns there to teach ESP skills. No lessons on culture, thank you.

I assume though that a mixed gender beach party would still be an absolute no-no.
boundforsaudi

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 11:04 am    Post subject: cost of beer Reply with quote

A case of 24 bottles of 330ml Stella Artois will run you 10 rials, but you have to have a license. You can buy up to 50 rials worth of liquor/month for two years by buying a 36 rial license. Or you can buy up to 100 rials worth/month on a 72 rial license. Cheers!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Oman All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: