Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Questions about a teaching job in Egypt

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SOBELLE

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2006 4:15 am    Post subject: Questions about a teaching job in Egypt Reply with quote

Hi all and happy New Year!

I have posted a message a while ago but I am posting it again to get a clear idea on what would be my next step. I am an elementary certified teacher; I am married to an Egyptian who has a European nationality. We are planning eventually on moving to Egypt, there is no definite time as of this moment. However, I would like to start on looking for a teaching job in an American school; I studied and worked in the U.S for more than fifteen years, I have a Master�s degree in computer and technology in Education. My questions are:
1. Would it be in my best interest not to mention that my husband is an Egyptian?
2. When is the best time to apply and should I rely on computer only for job postings?
3. Since I am a certified elementary teacher what are my chances on getting a job in an American school versus a language school as I am not interested in teaching in a language school?
4. Would it be easier to start looking once I am settled in Egypt?
And my last question not the least, I would like for my daughter to attend one of the American schools but looking at the tuition, I don't think we can afford it. What other alternatives do we have?
Thank you for taking the time to read my posting, any comment or suggestion is very much appreciated!

Last edited by SOBELLE on Tue Jan 03, 2006 11:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
SOBELLE

PostPosted: Tue Jan 03, 2006 11:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Questions about a teaching job in Egypt Reply with quote

SOBELLE wrote:
Hi all and happy New Year!

I have posted a message a while ago but I am posting it again to get a clear idea on what would be my next step. I am an elementary certified teacher; I am married to an Egyptian who has a European nationality. We are planning eventually on moving to Egypt, there is no definite time as of this moment. However, I would like to start on looking for a teaching job in an American school; I studied and worked in the U.S for more than fifteen years, I have a Master�s degree in computer and technology in Education. My questions are:
1. Would it be in my best interest not to mention that my husband is an Egyptian?
2. When is the best time to apply and should I rely on computer only for job postings?
3. Since I am a certified elementary teacher what are my chances on getting a job in an American school versus a language school as I am not interested in teaching in a language school?
4. Would it be easier to start looking once I am settled in Egypt?
And my last question not the least, I would like for my daughter to attend one of the American schools but looking at the tuition, I don't think we can afford it. What other alternatives do we have?
Thank you for taking the time to read my posting, any comment or suggestion is very much appreciated!
mercs34

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I lived in Cairo in the late 90's. I've never taught there so I can't help in that sense, but I'm wondering why you would be wary of mentioning your husband being Egyptian?
teacherincairo

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. I don't think your husband being an Egyptian will make a bit of difference, so don't worry about it. It might even be a bonus. A lot of Egyptian schools, at least the better ones, are very concerned about keeping their teachers around. More than a few teachers can't take teaching in Cairo and leave before their contracts are up. Knowing you will be at least a bit acculturated might be a bonus. The only problem I see might be with some of the not so good schools. Their logic might be "why pay an expat salary to someone who will become a local?" The difference in pay and benfits can be huge. It might be a good idea to play down the "We want to permantely move to Cairo" thing. Don't know.

2. The best way to get hired at a good school is through the international school hiring fairs. As a very experienced teacher you should be in demand. Google the University of Northern Iowa International Hiring Fair, International School Services and Search Associates. You'll get a much better idea of the process by looking at their websites. Many people have found jobs via the internet, but personally I'd be suspicious of a school that hired online. Some of these schools can only hire online because they've been banned from the hiring fairs for being less than honest about things.

3. You have a very very good chance of getting hired at a good American international school in Cairo with all your experience. I went to the UNI fair with a master's of education degree, but no experience, and got hired.

4. DO NOT wait until you move here to look for a job. You'll be a local hire. Here's the difference: A top end local hire will probably make about 6,000 pounds a month. (roughly $1,000), with no benefits at all. An international hire teacher with your experience should make around $22,000 a year (all or most in dollars), get full health insurance coverage, get a housing allowance, some moving expenses, and a free flight home every year. Big difference.

5. Finally, the flat out best school in Cairo is Cairo American College. And yes, it's mad expensive. $15,000 a year or more. A good Egyptian American school should run you between 20 to 30,000 pounds a year. Your child should be able to attend the school you work at for free or a reduced rate.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are schools that may very well lower your pay/benefit package if they know that your husband is Egyptian. In particular, they will feel free to cut housing as they will assume that your Egyptian husband is already providing you with a flat.

I would stress the European passport in the hiring process and hopefully his name is not too obviously Egyptian Cool and you need not bring it up.

VS
SOBELLE

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your reply. Unfortunately we will not be able to move until next year. Great idea I will try the job fair. Thank you so much Very Happy
sarina

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 8:55 am    Post subject: edit Reply with quote

edit

Last edited by sarina on Sat Sep 16, 2006 11:52 am; edited 1 time in total
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2006 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sarina... that can happen even if you are not married to an Egyptian. If you are hired locally even at AUC, you will get no benefits... only salary. That was the situation for me when I got hired while passing through as a tourist and they needed one teacher for a semester.

But, if applying from abroad with an Egyptian husband, I think I would include any information that they asked about the spouse without mentioning the minor detail that he was born Egyptian. Don't ask, don't tell... Laughing

VS
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Egypt All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: