Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Aother question re: TESOL, TEFL, TOEFL, CELTA

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Newbie Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cheryl

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2003 3:47 pm    Post subject: Aother question re: TESOL, TEFL, TOEFL, CELTA Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

(I have a CTESL from a University in Canada which was a year long course.)

I was wondering whether these different kind of certifications are checked by hiring schools in either Korea, China, or Japan, and Canada.

The reason I ask this question is because i'm wondering if those who hire differentiate between my certificate and those other certificates that are only 2 or 3 weeks long. Do those who hire check where ppl get their their certificates or how long the program was? I understand that I'd be able to continue working in Canada after my stay in Japan, but is that the only difference?
ESL Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2003 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this a troll? A joke? A hoax?

Oh! Sorry, I forgot this is the newbie forum. Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Dear Lady - in China it will not matter if you have no certificate.
Celeste

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2003 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In Japan, it will not matter to many Employers whether you have a year certificate or a two week one. That said, it will matter to a select few. Those are the jobs that you'll want to apply for. Forget about the eikaiwas (conversation schools). They are looking for anyone with a pulse in most cases.You will probably want to apply for jobs with private highschools.
Kent F. Kruhoeffer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2003 4:46 am    Post subject: some do some don't Reply with quote

Dear cheryl:

On your resume', it's probably a very good idea to list some details about the CTESL course you completed.

For example, where you took it, the length of the course, any practical in-the-classroom experience you may have had during the course, the total number of hours for the course, etc ... especially if you have no other formal teaching experience to show.

In other words, don't assume that every school manager and DOS will automatically know all about the CTESL. Your resume' is the place to tell them ... just as you would list the details of your undergraduate degree.

As Celeste already mentioned, some employers will differentiate; some won't; some are looking for handsome Ken & lovely Barbie; others are more concerned about your teaching skills & ability. It's a mixed bag out there.

That said, I would personally view the year-long university cert much more favourably than someone who spent two weeks in an online 'crash-course'.

I think I'm not alone on that one. Wink

Kind regards,
keNt
cheryl

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2003 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kent: I appreciate your response. I didn't realize I had to put down detailed particulars of my certificate on a resume.
once again

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2003 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You must put down particulars on your resume. There are so many acronyms out there and so many not so validated credentials that this is a must. I recently had an interview and was asked about my qualification and its validity. It was the same qualification as the guy that they now have as their English co-ordinator who was at the interview. Expect nobody to know what type of cert you have!! Put it down in full detail along with how long you studied and what you covered. The minus side to this is that you may talk yourself out of a job if you have not covered enough or you have covered too much..!!! Such is life and EFL.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Newbie Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: