Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What is CV?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Newbie Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sheena

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2003 11:40 pm    Post subject: What is CV? Reply with quote

OK maybe I am stupid or am asking an obvious question but what does CV stand for?
PanamaTeacher

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2003 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have to ask, you don't need one. Smile

It means "curriculum vitae" and it is a beefed up resume qualifications+publications+seminars+honors, etc.

some can be 5 or more pages long
Celeste

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2003 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's funny, there was a thread on this topic on the general discussion board a while back, and it seemed as though CV was not a term the people from some geographic regions were accustomed to.
PanamaTeacher

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2003 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never prepared one till I came to panama (there isn't a resume here) but CV is used in the US for experts testifying in legal proceedings, etc. What is it called in Japan.
Glenski

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2003 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For all intents and purposes in the teaching business, CV and resume are identical.

Some countries call them by either name.

For a real picky difference, try getting a professor position somewhere, or a huge corporate executive position. Then, a resume is a short description of your education and work experience, and a CV is a huge document detailing every minute point related to your education and work experience, including classes you took, classes and lectures you presented/taught, grants you wrote, etc.

For EFL, CV and resume are the same thing.
scot47

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2003 7:45 am    Post subject: reference skills Reply with quote

Am I alone in being surprised that, for some people, the sole reference tool is the Internet ? Don't kids use dictionaries anymore ?

If I come across a term I do not know I reach for a dictionary. I do not post a question on a website.

But then I am pre-McLuhan.
johnslat

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2003 9:23 am    Post subject: Man the lifeboats Reply with quote

Dear scot47,
Pre-McLuhan? Gosh, don't be so modest. You're antediluvian ( just how did you survive it, anyway - backstroke? ). Glad to see your holiday is mellowing you out. If you stay away from the Kingdom too much longer, you'll get positively " touchey-feely ".
Regards,
John
grahamb

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2003 4:33 pm    Post subject: Shunning Dicshunaries Reply with quote

Johnslat, the thought of Scot47 mellowing is... unthinkable!
Do schools actually promote the use of dictionaries nowadays? When I was a wee laddie, the stock answer to the question "What does X mean" was "Look it up in the dictionary."
Graham.
grahamb

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2003 4:42 pm    Post subject: Missing punctuation Reply with quote

Yes, I know I forgot to put a question mark at the end of "What does X mean?"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Newbie Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: