Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Brazil Visa - Round Trip Ticket Required?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jmtraxler

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2006 8:19 pm    Post subject: Brazil Visa - Round Trip Ticket Required? Reply with quote

Howdy. I'm doing some research on getting my visa, and I found that the application states that you must have a round trip ticket. This is, of course, a bit problematic for all us footloose job seekers, as

1) most of us aren't sure when we're going to leave, and would like to avoid having to make that commitment and

2) I think most people would like to stay for at least 6 months (maybe longer), and they might look askance at that, given that you are requesting a visa for only 90 days.

I looked around the internet - in one place someone recommended creating and printing out a round trip itinerary on a travel website and not buying the ticket, while someone else recommended buying a refundable ticket and using that. Any thoughts? Has anyone successfully skirted this issue?

Thanks!
PKB

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They definately require a paid round trip itineray for processing your visa for the 1st time. However, they generally give you a visa that is valid for 5 years, so subsequent trips wouldn't be scrutinized. They require a number of details about your trip itineray, contact inforamtion, lodging etc. Talk to a travel agent or read all the fine print on your ticket, you could get a round trip trip within 90 days and then just pay whatever penalties are associated with making a ticketing change later.
tttravdawg

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Getting a ticket with a flexible return date is the best way around this problem. I purchased my ticket through STA.com. The ticket was 780 round trip and it cost 25 to switch dates the first time and 75 any time after that. I found if you call them the fairs were much cheaper then they were on the internet. You are supposed to be under 25 to use the service but it doesnt seem like they care or check up on that. I did have two friends renew their visa with a forged return ticket. It worked for them but you are better off doing some work and finding a ticket with a flexible date.

Not sure what PKB is talking about with that five year period. Given your post I am assuming you are trying to obtain a tourist visa and those are not good for five years. You have 90 days to enter Brazil, 90 days to stay in Brazil after your entry date, and you can extend it once you are here for 90 days. I recently extended my stay and had no problem. Note- as was observed in this forum the visa is good for a total of 90 or 180 days not 3 to 6 monthes. There is a difference.

Good luck!!!
Gajeman

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you get your tourist visa it is valid for 5 years. You must enter Brazil within 90 days of receiving the visa and can stay for a total of 180 days per year. (The year beginning on the day you arrive in Brazil, not from Jan. 1st to Dec. 31st. Unless of course you arrive on Jan. 1st) Of those 180 days you can only stay for 90 at a time unless you go to the Federal Police aka Policia Federal and ask for an extension of your stay BEFORE your initial 90 days is up. The police can decide to deny your extension or only extend it for however long they feel like. In 2002 I only got another 30 days and not the 90 I was hoping for. You can repeat this process for 5 years from the date you receive your tourist visa. I overstayed my 90 days in 2001 by 6 days and only paid about $30 U.S. at the airport as a fine. I've seen some posts here that said to just stay and not sweat it because the fine reaches a maximum amount that wasn't too expensive ($300?) I'm here in Brazil legally waiting for my permanent visa but in 8 months noone has stopped me or asked for ID or anything. I don't think Brazil is worried too much about illegal immigrants. Not like the United States is.

Relating to the initial post - When I came back last June I bought my tickets through a Brazilian agency and she printed out an itinerary saying I had purchased a return ticket which I actually hadn't. On the other hand I don't recall anyone ever asking to see proof of a return ticket any of the 3 times I came here. Again, the Government isn't on the lookout for Americans coming here to work. They just want all us gringos to come and spend our green-backs. Good Luck.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Brazil All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: