Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Information request

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Agnes

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2003 3:20 pm    Post subject: Information request Reply with quote

Hello,
I was wondering if anyone can tell me anything about working in Lodz, about the schools. salary and health benefits. I am a dual citizen of the US and Poland and would like to find a job as a teacher. I have a BA in Linguistics TESOL but no teaching experience yet, is that enough or should I also get a TEFL certificate? Any help on this subject would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Smile
bnix

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2003 1:26 am    Post subject: Teaching in Lodz Reply with quote

Your BA in Linguistics should be plenty to get you started in teaching English in Poland.Indeed, the fact that you have it in linguistics will probably mean that you are more qualified than a lot of other people teaching English in Poland.You do not need a TEFL cert...in that situation,it would just be a waste of money and time in my opinion.

The salary,benefits,etc.depend on the school.Generally,you should make enough to live on,and travel a bit and perhaps save a bit,depending on your lifestyle.The money in Poland is not fantastic,but is better than other places in eastern Europe,like Czech ,for instance.Make sure your employers provide accommodation,or you will have problems making ends meet.Avoid Warsaw.Dirty,expensive,dangerous.Definitely do not live there.

Of course,you are considering Lodz,right? It is NOT pretty,but otherwise,if you ignore the pollution and general urabn decay,it is not so bad.I prefer it to Warsaw.I taught for a year in a small town down near Kielce,not too far from Lublin.But I also know Lodz well.

Best of luck.As far as pay goes,they should pay AT LEAST 4o zlotys an hour...do not let anyone talk you into working for something ridiclous.Some private schools will try to scam you....using the argument that Poland is a "poor country'.It is not exactly rich,but it is not exactly poor,either.Cover yourself.Best of luck and have fun in Poland! Smile
justynak

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2003 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would have to disagree... I come from beautiful Gdansk, but moved to live and work in Warsaw 3 years ago. Although at first Warsaw seemed a bit grey, it has turned out to be a wonderful place to live! And although it is a bit more expensive than the rest of Poland, your pay is relatively higher as well. And as there is much more to do here (clubs, theatres, restaurants, concerts, cafes...) you are better off in Warsaw.
I don't know if you've ever been to Lodz, but I can assure you that it is equally grey as Warsaw, but there is only one street alongside which there are a few restaurants, cafes and clubs. Enough for a month or two maybe, then it would probably become a bit dull.... Wink
Harry Swindells

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2003 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

justynak wrote:
And as there is much more to do here clubs

And how often do you take advantage of those club facilities? Even every time people get you VIP passes for top notch parties Question

Harry
Agnes

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2003 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to everyone for your info. As for the opinion that Lodz is grey I guess it all depends on the person. I happen to have been born there and lived there for the first 4 years of my life before coming to New York. So for me it's the best place to live----much better than Warsaw!!!!! I totaly disagree with the statement that there aren't many clubs, restaurants etc. but then again if you only spent your time on ul. Piotkiowska than it's no wonder you have such an opinion. Justynak---hope you get a chance to go to Lodz again someday and take a look at it in a different light. Smile
justynak

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2003 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did not say Lodz is a horrible place, I just said that there is relatively less to do than in Warsaw. Embarassed

And to Harry I would say that I do go. Sometimes Confused
itslatedoors

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2003 5:43 am    Post subject: a response to Agnes and bnix Reply with quote

Dear Agnes ,while a BA in Linguistics is no doubt highly useful, bnix's statement that a Cert would be "a waste of money" is ridiculous.All the theory in the world doesn't necessarily make you a good teacher.The beauty of the CELTA is that its focus is the teaching practice.Students in Poland are no fools and they will quickly see if they are getting value for money.If I were you ,I'd get CELTA qualified,( you can do it on the cheap with IH Krakow),as its probably the most useful course I've ever done.I did 5 years in Poland and am now making an awful lot of money in the Middle East on the strength of it.Bnix and Harry Swindells have become the self proclaimed esl Polish gurus but I'm not sold.Swindells in particular seems to be money obsessed as most of his posts are connected with that subject.You on the other hand might not have such pre-occupations.For a new teacher with no experience you could do worse that applying for IH,(International House).They are very strong on the teaching development although,it's fair to say, you won't earn top dollar. I used to work for them in Bydgoszcz and had a very good experience there.Later I moved to Poznan with a different outfit.If you need any advice don't hesitate to drop me a line.Good luck.
run-jp

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2003 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I certainly have to differ to the last post as someone who knows Poland.
However, to stick up for Harry (now having some PC problem I think).
He never slammed International House (IH)and he always talks well of Cambridge CELTA, which they instruct. The fact that someone points out that some schools will squeeze you like a sponge (where this industry seems to be heading in general) is sound advice to new teachers.
From my experience, I know it's easy to end up giving more than getting in this career.
bnix

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2003 6:19 am    Post subject: Well.Yeah,"Swinging Doors" Reply with quote

I never pretended to be a "guru" on Poland as "Doors" claims...and while there are some legitimate cert programs out there,there are also a lot of frauds...or maybe"Doors" thinks he is a "guru" on that subject Laughing Laughing Then he slams Swindells for being "money obsessed"while in the same post he lets us know that he(Doors) is making "an awful lot of money in the Middle East".In fact, in almost every post he reminds us of how much loot he is making.Guess maybe he is "money obsessed",too? Laughing Laughing And while the coming conflagration in the Middle East MIGHT not spill over into Qatar,it IS close geographically,and one NEVER know,does one?Wonder how fast he can run? Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Poland All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: