Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

WORKING & LIVING IN REPUBLIC OF MACEDONIA

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Macedonia and the Balkans
View previous topic :: View next topic  
boxalldr

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 5:00 am    Post subject: WORKING & LIVING IN REPUBLIC OF MACEDONIA Reply with quote

For the past two years I have been living and working in the Republic of Macedonia. Now that my job here has ended I have chosen to remain in the country, unemployed, for at least another year. If anyone is considering, or planning on, coming here to work, please feel free to contact me with specific questions. Please avoid broad, all-encompassing questions like, "What's it like working in Macedonia?"
TRCourage

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 9:53 am    Post subject: Thank you ... Reply with quote

and I have private messaged you, so am hoping that you do have your instant notification options turned on since it has been some time since you posted...

Thank you,
Theresa
LGSakers

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boxalldr I can't PM you... Would be ok with sending me your e-mail address? I'm a Macedonian Canadian, but having a tough time getting any real solid information. If not, I will certainly post my questions to you in this thread. Hopeful you see this, since it was so long ago.
m27

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All these posts are pretty old, but I've been here for 2 years as well - happy to answer Q's!
AGoodStory

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear m27,

Does the fact that you have been there for two years imply that you like living/working in Macedonia, or do you have other ties there? Can you say anything about the current availablity of work in Macedonia? What is the usual salary range? Working condition pros and cons? How difficult is it to get a work permit--does the government restrict work permits to foreigners the way that Croatia currently does? Is there anything you really love about living in Macedonia? Dislike? One last question--are jobs (assuming there are any!) mostly to be found in Skopje, or is it worth looking in other places?

Thanks for addressing any of these questions that you wish to!

Best regards,
AGS
m27

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AGS,

Hello, and interesting questions...many are similar to those I was asking 2 yrs ago Smile I'll do my best to give some insight, but I may not be able to answer all of your questions.

I originally signed on for a 1 yr contract and enjoyed my time enough to sign up for a second, if that tells you anything. I decided to stay for a few reasons - I like the challenge of having an interesting job (I've been establishing teaching/mentoring programs) and the country is interesting and welcoming to foreigners. My husband and I have really enjoyed our time here - great ops to see Macedonian historical info and culture, good food, nice people. Generally, students are interested and engaging. Also, MK is a great place to travel from. Other foreigners I know, however, have had a time lasting 2 years, as they couldn't deal with some of the frustrations and subtle cultural differences.

From what I can tell, jobs can be tough to find. Unemployment in MK is around 30%, if that tells you anything. Teachers with experience can find jobs via directly contacting universities or international schools, and may or may not be pleased with the salaries. I know of a friend who was offered housing + $10,000 euros/yr by a uni - not sure if other places are better or worse. MK is a cheap place to live, but this isn't exactly big money.

Working conditions are pretty good in my opinion, students are nice and interested and foreigners are well respected. But, like anything, it depends on the employer. Like other places in Eastern Europe, things work at a difference pace here than in the west, and that can be tough. Like any place where funding is an issue, educators are asked to perform miracles with few resources and support.

Work permit- 2 years later, still don't have one, despite doing all the paperwork. This is expected. A good employer will help to get you permission to be there until the ppwk comes through.

Any jobs are likely to be in Skopje, but there's a chance you may find other opportunities in Tetovo, Bitola, Ohrid/Struga.

Hope this is helpful, and again, this is just what I've seen, but I'd be interested in seeing if others feel differently. What makes you interested in MK?

Good luck!
AGoodStory

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that great post, M27. Unemployment at 30%--that's stunning. Life must be pretty difficult; it's between 8 and 9% here, and the effect is deeply felt, so 30% is hard to imagine. It sounds as if there is still some work to be found in teaching English, though? You mention international schools and unis--I'm guessing that language schools are not doing very well now with so many people out of work? (Unfortunately I don't have IS or uni qualifications.)

A year or so ago I had planned to arrive in Ljubljana and look for work there. I had corresponded with several schools and researched the visa and work permit requirements, and I felt comfortable arriving with enough savings to live on for 3 or 4 months. In the meantime Slovenia passed new "Employment of Foreigners" legislation, bringing it into line with the old EU labor regulations, and making it much harder for an American to work legally. Recently I have been researching the western Balkan countries, moving down the coast from Croatia.

Croatia's unemployment rate was between 16 and 17% when they stopped allowing foreigners to work legally. (I think certain exceptions are permitted, but they don't apply to me.) They currently have a "Zero Foreigners" work permit policy. I just received an e-mail from a school today that said they were trying to hire Croatian-Americans as a way around the policy. (And that they were "hoping for better times ahead.")

As an older American, I think that Latin America or possibly Turkey makes the most sense for me in the long run. But I'm interested in the idea of a year or two in your neck of the woods first. So that brings me to MK, which seems. . . not promising, exactly. But realistically possible, perhaps? Or does that unemployment rate now place it somewhere between remotely possible and highly unlikely?

Best regards,
AGS

ETA: Your job "establishing teaching/mentoring programs" sounds very rewarding. Do you work with the public schools?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Macedonia and the Balkans All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: