Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

have degree, want to teach, is TEFL cert needed?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Newbie Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bnix

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2003 1:12 am    Post subject: Linda.... Reply with quote

First,I am not"calling" you anything.I agree with Panama Teacher that it is good you got a break.Obviously I do not know your personal background.But I am happy when anyone gets a break.But I also agree with Panama Teacher on the point that you may be exploited in the current situation.I would not get too comfortable with your current situation or trust them too far...That is honest,heartfelt advice.Things change, especially in this business..today's hero or heroine may be tomorrow's "bad teacher".
And when you post on this forum,you are essentially inviting people to respond...sometimes negatively,sometimes positively.
Sincere best luck...but I suggest you also start thinking of some future plans.You are really young.You are not going to teach in China longterm are you?Anyway,be careful.Take care of yourself.And I am not calling you anything.Just trying to give a little advice.I found your response to Panama teacher's post sad and a little disturbing.Anyway, best of luck to you. Smile
Linda L.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2003 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bnix I am well aware of what exploitation means. I am paid 6,500 rmb, just the same as the B.A. teachers and we all work 14 hours plus 2 hours of English corner.

If I am being exploited then so are they. This kind of exploitation I can live with, at least for now.

Like I said before, I am living day-to-day for now. I carry a lot of baggage that I am dumping, little-by-little.

My original post was meant as an encouragement to others who may feel unqualified to "teach" English in China. Again, if I can do it, those with a degree can certainly do it!

I did not post to become a traget and I do not think anyone appreciates being made a target. I do not disagree with disagreement, just nasty, ill tempered, mean spirited name calling.
PanamaTeacher

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2003 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Linda I again apologize for the misunderstanding. Pimp is a word with several interpretations. I put Quote:
exploited
in parentheses next to the word so that my meaning would be clear. Let's look at our exchange to see if my meaning is clear. I wrote:

Quote:
Linda--Your story is refreshing and heartwarming. It makes me feel great to know that there is a place for anyone in this big old world of ESL. You've made a great start; what are your plans for continued professional growth? Or do you plan to ride your GED all the way to the top. I hate to say this Linda, but you are probably being pimped in China (exploited). Consolidate your gains and move on girlfriend. Trust me on this one.

After reviewing it, you said:

Quote:
Men paid my momma good money for the right to call me "w-h-o-r-e." You have not paid me or my momma so you do not have that right.

So what if I am being "pimped" in China? At least I get to keep the money instead of my momma.

If you agree that you are being "pimped" in China, then you must have understood the term precisely as I meant it, as exploited.

So, I think that you do understand that I was not calling you anything other than a possibly naive young girl who may be getting used by others. Now it seems that you are a naive young girl who thinks that she has the upper-hand in her job, while understanding that she is being exploited. I can accept that; we often don't see our mistakes until it is too late.

Anyway Linda, I think we can put this behind us and move forward in a positive way. I don't think accusing me of something you know was not my intention is the best way to use this forum.

It seems that you have a lot to contribute and a unique point of view. I happen to think you are misguided and will say so whenever I feel like it. I will do so to help you see your mistakes and to prevent other people from acting based upon your advice without thinking it over carefully. Who knows maybe a few years from now you will see that I am indeed trying to help.

Adios
Linda L.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2003 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adios?

I would prefer what the terminator said just before he blew the dude away -

"ass to his visa - bye bye" or was that "atsa la vista - Baby"

I have known many men like you but they all went by the same name, "John."
PanamaTeacher

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2003 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi linda
Linda L.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2003 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PT you stalk me and you will regret it seriously. I have friends in very dark places.
PanamaTeacher

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2003 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Linda I'm showing you how nice I really am
r u still mad at me?
Linda L.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2003 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

READ THIS POST OF PANAMA TEACHER AND MEET A REAL W-H-O-R-E MASTER, THE REAL PANAMA TEACHER --

PanamaTeacher
Posted: Sat Jul 05, 2003 1:09 pm Post subject:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
krunch you've got it right; i don't know how it is in china, but when I got here i treated the girls as if they were americans and I got used and abused. now i do as the local men do (dog the women) and i am far better off (and) i save el dinero. as w.c. fields put it never give a sucker an even break. At first i wasted time and money trying to find a decent girlfriend. Then I got a tip from another guy and i tried it. The plan is to have two ads in the local paper one for a maid ($150 a month) and the other for a part-time asst. ($75 a month). I interviewed over 100 girls in a year (they had to be between 18-25) and I hired 15 or 20. none worked for me longer than 2 weeks and I never spent much. Best time i ever had.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Newbie Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: