Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Asian-American woman in the UAE...?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lorcan1996

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2003 5:27 pm    Post subject: Asian-American woman in the UAE...? Reply with quote

Greetings, all! I believe Ed posted something similar in theme earlier last week, so forgive me if there is some overlap with responses.

I'm a first generation Filipino-American working towards an MA in TESL in Texas. I consider English to be my native tongue and have all the usual stuff: BA, postgrad work, etc. Anyway, I'm hoping to land a job in the Middle East sometime next year or so -- crossing my fingers it'll be the UAE! -- but have some concerns about the image of Filipinas in general in the Middle East. Several of my female cousins in the Philippines have worked in the Middle East in the "usual" Asian-female jobs (i.e., maids, nannies) and have related to me their direct, painful experiences with racism, sexism, and violence.

Now, obviously if I were to work for an academic institution as an instructor/lecturer, I wouldn't face the same working environment that my cousins did/do, but would anyone on this list be familiar with how an Asian-American or Asian-Canadian or ANY female with obviously Asian ethnic blood (but who grew up in the West) would be treated in the Middle East? Would I be at a disadvantage in the hiring process (since we're required to send photos) because I don't have the Western "look" despite my Western credentials and upbringing? I never faced the same problem whilst working in Japan (which has its share of Filipina migrant workers) but am concerned that it may be more of an issue in the ME.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!!
Truth Hurts

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2003 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm

It doesn't suprise me that your post has been largely ignored and unanswered.

Let me try to give you as honest an answer as possible:

In almost all of the top TESL jobs in the UAE, recruitment decisions are taken by Western expats. It is extremely unlikely that you will be interviewed by a local Arab at HCT, ZU, UAEU, PI, AUS, UOS etc. Your real concerns about facing racial prejudice are from Western expats.

Without the luxury of anti-racist legislation in the West, you may very soon become appalled by attitudes of fellow Western expats.

Otherwise, there is a huge Filipino community in the Gulf that appear to be very happy. There are lots of shops, cinemas, restaurants and radio stations to cater for the Filipino community.

Good luck!

TH
lorcan1996

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2003 2:30 pm    Post subject: Truth hurts...? Reply with quote

Ouch!

Is this true? I'm trying not to jump to conclusions about my fellow Americans/expats, but is the "racism" more practical than real, i.e., is it based solely on the fact that I'm of Asian descent or is it a concern about my abilities with the English language and my teaching background? For the record, I grew up in the U.S. and attended American public schools (most of whom, I'm sorry to say, did a miserable job teaching standard English, American or otherwise) and higher ed institutions and have taught EFL in Japan. Not to defend myself, but after having backpacked and worked my way around the world over the years and having met firsthand some of my fellow travellers posing as "English teachers" whilst on the road, I think I'm more than up to the task of pursuing a long-term career in ESL/EFL.

That's great about the Filipino community in the UAE, as it would be nice to occasionally indulge in the rich "soul food" of my heritage, but I'm really more concerned about the job situation. Are ALL English teachers in the Gulf Caucasian? Do you speak from personal experience or casual observation? I'd be really interested in your opinions, particularly since, as you said, my post has been largely ignored.

Cheers!
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2003 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Lorcan,

Sorry I missed your message before.

I fear that you could very well encounter some problems in both the employment process and treatment in public. Yes, there is a great deal of discrimination shown even in many of the supposedly Western hiring processes. You almost never see a non-native speaker nor a non-white teacher in the English classes. (Though they are well represented in the academic fields.) Don't expect to see any real attempt at fair hiring as we think about it in the US. You are always asked your age, marital status, religion and all those other questions we are not used to. For example, there are some places that prefer to hire UK passport holders and it is really difficult for Americans to get hired - other places are the opposite.

You asked whether it was because they perceive that you are a NNS or because of your descent. I'd say it is descent, but that is just my opinion in looking at their actions from the outside of their decision making processes. I found racism to be rampant here - many times worse than in the US.

The society outside the classroom would assume that you were in one of the typical Filipina jobs there - maid, store clerk, entertainer - and treat you accordingly. The ill treatment that many of them get in these positions could affect your public life. Also, many of the Filipinas add to their income with a bit of moonlighting in a more lucrative profession than the one on their visa. (if you get my drift---) I'm not moralizing here - a girls gotta do what she must to get ahead in life, but it does cause the males to assume that you are available. Since the breakup of the Soviet Union, treatment of all women has gone downhill in public. Now when a blondish woman walks down the street, she is often asked if she is Russian. Which translates to hooker in Emiratespeak - Dubai is very bad in this area. That said, it is very rare for women to be physically attacked here, but when it does happen, it is always a woman that they would assume is a non-Westerner and I fear that you would be in that category. It is rare, I repeat, but it does happen.

Rather negative, I know. So, in general, I would say that you may have difficulties in hiring and you will have some problems in public - though if you have been backpacking around the world, you already know how that routine goes. Sad A constant part of being female that one learns to deal with - or not.

VS
Truth Hurts

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2003 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VS

I think you paint an accurate albeit grim picture.

However, there would seem to be a very happy Filipina community in the UAE. Most I imagine live hassle free peaceful lives.

As for getting a teaching job, well let me put it like this: it would be perfectly normal for a white Brit with mediocre experience and qualifications to be preferred over a non-white native-speaker of English with excellent qualifications and extensive experience. Sad, but unfortunately very true. Sadder still: it's normally Westerners making these decisions NOT locals!

TH
reality

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2003 12:08 am    Post subject: expat revenge Reply with quote

Given the racism, and bias towards women and certain ethnic minorities
in the West, It doesn't surprise me that expatriates escaping from the
discrimination, behave the way they do when hiring staff in non-pc
Countries.

They are only acting like their Governments, and the few that benefit from discrimination in their own PC Countries.
lorcan1996

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2003 6:28 pm    Post subject: Devil's advocate? Reply with quote

Well, you guys have certainly given me some food for thought. VS, thanks for your input. Actually, I rarely experienced much overt racism while backpacking, and when I did, it was always -- without exception -- from "Westerners" (meaning whites). If anything, I found that travelling solo as a female made me more an object of curiosity among locals (from Africa to Australia) than as any stereotype about my ethnicity/sex. (The most annoying thing I experienced while travelling was the constant questioning along the lines of, "Where are you from?" "America." "No, where are you REALLY from?" Grrrr..) I generally met more people and was welcomed more often with open arms and friendly smiles as a solo traveller than if I was with someone else.

Anyway, let me play devil's advocate here for a moment while I consider the implications of what everyone who responded to my initial post is telling me. I'm wondering if the reason there are so few (if any) non-white English teachers in the Gulf is (possibly) because of the perceived racism rather than the reality thereof. I guess I'm thinking back to when I first contemplated going to Japan as an English teacher. Some [white] friends of mine who had travelled to Japan before warned me that I would likely experience quite a bit of racism there because of the "reputation" among Filipinas of being housemaids, "entertainers," "visa wives," or hookers. (Not to mention the shadow of WW2 atrocities inflicted against the Philippines.) However, the reality for me was that in the two years I lived in a small, isolated rural town in southwestern Japan, I never once experienced any kind of racism (not that I noticed anyway). Had I listened to my friends, I might never have gone and would've missed some of the best times of my life.

So I'm wondering if that is the case here. Not to cast doubt on the validity of anyone's observations; I'm simply trying to see it from another perspective. I'm totally aware of the racist (and sexist!) nature of most countries outside of the U.S. And of course, Japan is NOT the Middle East, obviously. The expat community differs in each country, I'm sure. But perhaps the reason there are no non-white English teachers is because, well, there aren't any interested in applying because of this perception of racism, therefore there is a much smaller pool of them to choose from.

Does this make sense? Or am I being way too naive and Pollyana-ish about the issue?

Thanks so much for everyone's input! (And sorry for the rather long post!)
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2003 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Lorcan,

Well, you may be right that we are overstating the case and the situation isn't as bad as we paint it - or - maybe it's even worse. Smile I do know of people who have complained on this board that they felt discriminated against because of race, but I also know of at least one single black American woman who got hired at UAEU. There are likely others that I never met.

But, I also think perhaps you may be just a little naive. It certainly is rather common among young Americans. I was too at your age. I am guilty myself of not always seeing many of the negatives of the Middle East because of my good experiences through the years that I was there. As to your experience in Japan, I wonder if their public politeness often insulates us from their real attitudes. And you may very well have been protected by being in a more rural than urban environment.

You said that you had heard the horror stories from your Filipina friends who had been in the UAE in the service industries. They are true and we may not hear the half of it. If you were there as an educator, you would be in a very different situation and likely in no physical danger as long you used common sense.

So, the only way to test all this out is for you to apply for jobs there and see what happens. When you prove us all wrong and get a job, write back and tell us. Smile And then when you get there, you are forwarned and not surprised if you do have a problem now and again. You've traveled, so you should know how to deal with most of them.

Go for it!! You lose nothing but the postage by applying. Sexism and racism are a fact of life everywhere; the Middle East can be difficult in these areas, but if you are going to test it out, the UAE and possibly Oman may be your best choices.

VS
lorcan1996

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2003 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello VS and everyone!

You're probably right... to quote an oft-repeated cliche in Japan, "It all depends on your situation." I suppose much depends on luck of the draw, even in the Middle East. On another UAE thread, I noticed that an Asian-Canadian (of Korean descent) had posted a similar question, and someone had responded that they knew of many non-white ESL teachers who appeared to have few (if any) problems adjusting to life/work in the UAE. Of course, the original poster is male, so perhaps he has a slight edge, but I'd like to give my fellow compatriots the benefit of the doubt. Smile

I appreciate the comment about my age, though, although I'm not quite as young as I used to be (31 now and still counting)! My backpacking was done in spurts and starts throughout my twenties, so I was able to view the Roads Well Travelled from different perspectives. In any case, with regard to your comment about Japan, most of my close friends were actually Japanese (of varying ages), and we had quite a few heated (for Japanese, anyway) debates about different issues (not just racism, but teaching, history, etc.). Still remained friends, though! The famous Japanese politeness exists, but as one lives there longer, barriers slowly dissolve, albeit never completely so.

I've heard good things about Oman, too, and I did spend one night there last year (on the way to Africa) that I greatly enjoyed, so maybe I'll try for that country as well.

I appreciate everyone's comments and advice! Hell, I've never been one to turn away from a challenge, so thanks for the helpful suggestions (even the negative ones!), and hope to see y'all in the UAE in the next year or so!
Cleopatra

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2003 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VS,

Is that really true about Philippina girls, ahem, 'moonlighting'?

They say the very same thing here in KSA but I've never seen any proof of it - then again, I suppose I wouldn't, would I? I've tended to put in down to the usual racist urban myths that flourish in this environment.

Maybe I'm wrong...
manonatrain

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2003 1:06 pm    Post subject: eeerrrr the rascism Reply with quote

Gee, I find myself being more rascist.
hate to admitt it, but it happens.

What can I say, they are not living in the West so
they are not WESTERNIZED. I feel sorry
for any womem from the Philapines who
will under go an interview with an Arab man
for a teaching job :oops:

In fact they may harasse you once you are hired and under
thier sponsorship. You may be trapped. BECAREFUL.

In fact, I understand that Pilipions are being EX-patriated back
to whist them came once their visa expires. due to politics and
something called 09/11 bblabblabla

Well, Pilipions are seen as you uh know.... lower cast.
The arab world in the Gulf is a feked up place in regards
to CAST systems women and which passport you hold.

Of course I wish you the best of luck, but i say GO OUTSIDE of the
GULF region if you are not Western. Life sucks for Indians and Pilipion workers here.
grand fromage

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2003 2:06 pm    Post subject: Asian-American Reply with quote

I find the comments of the last poster quite common unfortunately-yes, a lot of people here become racist. My answer to that is to leave this place as expecting the majority of the expats here which are not "Westernized" to do so is ridiculous. I don't know the statistics but you'd have to be blind not to notice that expats from Asia and other M.E. countries dominate here so so-called "westernized" expats are in a clear minority and as such have to adapt to the reality here. Otherwise, the UAE is not for you-stay home or go to Korea and hang out in expat bars there. As for the situation of non-western looking expats, I am not such a pessimist. Of course there is abuse here, especially at the house-maid level where these poor souls have miserable lives and are totally at their sponsors' mercy (stories of maids jumping to their deaths are relatively common Sad However, most other professional groups enjoy more protection as the police here doesn't look well upon abuse towards women (Especially in Dubai where even locals' pictures are posted in the papers if they harass women). Holders of western passports enjoy much more protection too, regardless of background, so it would make more sense to recommend that non-western expats do not come here. I personally know lots of non-western looking women and men here and have not heard too many horror stories here (of course shit happens everywhere!!!). If I were you, I'd come to see things for myself; after all it's just as easy to come here as it is to leave-good luck!
manonatrain

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2003 2:34 pm    Post subject: Why should someone leave because you dont like what they... Reply with quote

Why should a teacher leave because their
perspective has been altered to accept where they are. The people who
are not Westernizered are the workers. In Europe and north
america they have adapted and work along side us.

In the gulf. THEY absloutely are not our equals by Arab standards.
Not my idea. Thiers.

Abuse is common. I am sick of candy coating the ME, especially
the Gulf. The cops can be assholes more here than elsewhere
towards women. Another candy coated fantasy that people repeat.
YOU ARE PROTECTED. Well, i doubt that if you are a women, you will find many sympathatic arabic men and cops and officials who
dont just want to DATE you.

Happened to my girlfriend, and her friends.

Stop the INSANITY. This is not paradise- But they are generally
good people. And the money aint so bad. This is Islam. This is
an Arab Ruled country. We are their guests/slaves. Human rights
issues...what is that here but something on paper. Not reality.

I came for the money. Thats all. I stayed cause I like it more than
i hate it.

But lets face it a Pilipion teacher NO WAY... it would be hell on her.

why lie.

If you are STRONG you might stand a chance. But a lot of teachers on the ME boards are not honest or they have gone native. But you will HATE IT.
You will be harrassed and you wont stay. Don�t do it. The world outside
of AMERICA and Europe is hard. Life is harder. And reality is reality.

If a white American women goes to work in Japan. Will the Japanese
man treat her like a sex object, or an equal. Think about it.
Ancient cultures have ancient ideas.

It is their country. And if you have problems. They will remind
you of it.
grand fromage

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2003 8:10 pm    Post subject: Asian-American Reply with quote

Who's lying? Whether I'm a woman or not (or both Wink is irrelevant here as I am in touch with reality here. I have friends who were similarly disswayed from coming here (in fact, one of them was told she would be taken for a Filipna maid), and they are surviving just fine here. Let's face it: ALL women get hit on here so if you have a problem with that, stay away. I am aware that many institutions here hire Asians as teachers. For example, HCT has full time Filipino computer teachers, Zayed U. has at least one Indonesian ESL teacher (yes ESL! Al Hamdulila), and I know of one non-Gulf Arab lady teaching ESL for Adnoc (local oil company). Manonatrain (or should I say womanonatrain Smile seems to be very confused about her presence here-on the one hand willing to stay for the money, but on the other making it seem like hell. Sounds like you got some soul-searching to do-money aint everything, and you can make it elsewhere too. I'd hate for people to get the wrong idea about this place-it sure aint heaven but I have never lived in a place with such a low crime rate. Hey, I'll be honest: I'd be more scared about sending my wife (if I have/had one-sorry introducing some confusion about my identity in case I happen to work with womanonatrain Wink to Italy in terms of being hit on.
manonatrain

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2003 9:04 am    Post subject: Sp�ak easy Reply with quote

well I am a man. And are they Asian males or females.
Are they Indian or Pakistanis. Filipion...really... i have never
seen it or heard of it.

But you are correct in saying there is always the exception
to the rule.

And some women have it worse than others lets face it.
Indian and Malaysian women are raw meet to these guys.
Western women have a higher status, and yes get hit on, so do the guys (get hit on by arab males ). But it is NOT THE SAME THING.

Crime. What is not reported in the newspapers never happens you mean?
Rapes happen, murders happen, etc...and you will never never read about
it in Oman. Maybe in the UAE, sometimes. But it is kept out.

Do you have arab male friends ? I have many, and I know
what they think and say.

It isnt a HELL, but for some people, for instance the person
who requested information an Asian American Female, it most
definitely will be hell.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Arab Emirates All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: