Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ESL as New Zealand music
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Australia/New Zealand
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tjpnz2000

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2003 5:10 am    Post subject: ESL as New Zealand music Reply with quote

Had to post something before they take this forum away because nobody says anything Laughing

Here goes:

Why we do it
April sun in Cuba- Dragon (Yeah, I know they live in Australia now)

Contracts
Shark attack- Split Enz
Presure man- The feelers
Renegade fighter- Zed

Relationships
I see red- Split Enz
Tripping- 1927

Working
Loyal- Dave Dobbin

In class
Frieghtened- Split Enz

Leaving your job
You don't need me like you used to- Knightshade
Don't dream it's over- Crowded House (Yeah, I know 2 of them were Australian. Aussies can claim them too)

Going to the pub
Bliss- Th' Dudes

Cultural differences
How bizzar- OMC

Language
You got to know, to understand- Supergroove

Returning to the homeland
Home again- Shihad

Because we are Kiwi's and we got no choice Very Happy
Poi E- The Patea Maori club
10 Guitars- Anybody how happens to have, but not nessesarily know how to play, a guitar.

Come on Aussies! You have some great stuff! Be in quick or I will do it myself!

T
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2003 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

very interesting Smile
I hope that they don't get rid of this board Smile
khmerhit

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2003 3:10 am    Post subject: misandragogy Reply with quote

Q: Why are the Aussie women teachers absent from this forum?

A: They are too busy posting "kick me, I deserve it, I'm a wretched man"
signs on their boyfriends' persons.
Kereru

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2003 7:17 am    Post subject: Sad - but true Reply with quote

It is true that the NZ ESL market is very flat at present, but most of the good language schools are surviving - maybe not recruiting. A large new private school for 13-18 year olds opens in Chch in a week or two - they were expecting to open with 80 pupils & build to 200 by next year but have only 40 (when I last heard). However with the announcement of new immigration policies a NZ education has become almost a must for those seeking to migrate. My school turned away 20 students with cash in hand last month because we have a ceiling of 250.
tjpnz2000

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2003 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah... about those new immigration rules... All I know is what I have seen on nzoom.

What is the story?

The old rules had thier problems but I have some serious reservations about the idea of immigration `actively recruiting` to fill `skill gaps`.

Any insight?
lorcan1996

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2003 5:32 pm    Post subject: NZ education necessary for immigration purposes? Reply with quote

Greetings! I read with interest Kereru's comment about how an NZ educatoin is almost a must now with new immigration policies in place. I've read most of the documents relating to the new immigration laws and must admit, it's pretty discouraging.

So does it look like the best way to migrate to NZ with the purpose of eventually settling down there as a permanent resident is to pursue a degree there? I'm working towards a grad cert in ESL at a local university (I'm in the U.S.) but would be willing to pursue further studies (i.e., an M.A.) in NZ if it would give me a better chance. Is it expensive for foreign students to attend NZ unis? What about toting along the hubby, who's also keen on working in NZ? (He's working on an MCSE, with an eye towards finding work as a systems or network admin.) Would he be allowed to work in NZ with his wife on a student's visa? I understand that in Australia, spouses of foreign students have unlimited work rights, but I didn't know if the same policy applied in NZ. The NZ immigration web site is SO not user-friendly when it comes to these seemingly simple questions.

Any advice would be most welcome! Thank you!
JosephP

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2003 8:34 pm    Post subject: NZIS...confusion reigns Reply with quote

I don't know about the student situation and spouses being able to get a job. But in my own situation (I'm from the USA) I was sponsored by my school for my work permit. My wife got an unrestricted work permit, meaning she could work for anyone who would hire her. My 6-year-old has a student visa, but it states she's is ineligible to work (ah well). My suggestion is that you contact the NZ embassy in Washington DC and talk to the nice people there. They were very helpful in answering my questions before I flew out here early January 2002.
Back to the original topic...Hip-hop appears to be the going style in Auckland now. To these 46-year-old ears it is annoying rubbish. However, there was a pretty cool single called "Japanese Girls" released by a band called Pan Am that had thrashing guitars and big beats that I thought rocked. The Datsuns also make a satisfying racket.
tjpnz2000

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2003 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

On a tangent to my original post, where is a good place to find New Zealand music on the web?

My `Natures Best` CD is starting to wear a bit thin and the chances of finding any thing from Middle Earath here in Japan is absolutely zero.

Hopefully I can catch the yearly Exponents or Dave Dobbin summer tour when I go back for christmas. Oh, boy! I can almost taste the crayfish and Mac Beer and feel the sunburn all set to the wonderful guitar riff from Bliss.

Homesick? Who me?

T
grahamb

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2003 11:16 am    Post subject: NZ music for EFL teachers Reply with quote

As the Kiwis and Aussies are lumped together on this forum, how about the Aussie classic, "Friday on my mind" by the Easybeats (1966)? I'm sure we all agree with the sentiments expressed in that song!
tjpnz2000

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2003 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great Aussie songs for ESL

Work;
Working Class Man- Jimmy Barns
The Best- Tina Turner and Jimmy Barns

Relationships;
Come on [insert name here] (Ilean in the original)- Dixies Midnight Runners.

Culture Shock;
Thunder Struck- AC/DC

Sorry Aussies, you had your chance.

T
khmerhit

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2003 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes where are the Kiwis and 4Xes on this forum? are they boycottting it or are they too busy shagging sheep? what is the deal? Ah, I know, you're all on crystal meths. Sorry lot the bunch of you!!!!!!!!!!! Very Happy
tjpnz2000

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2003 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Them`s fighting words frog Twisted Evil

Only people from Australia and the South Island have relations with sheep. Spot the JAFFA.

I think the thing is that while there are many, or at least a few, of us antipodians living and teaching abroad the ESL industry in our native lands is probably equal to that of Canada, the US or England. Funny that as our first language is English Shocked

Therefore, this forum tends to be dominated by 2 types of post.

1) Someone from `up north` saying `I want to teach ESL in the exotic south seas with the dusky natives` and the rest of us saying `Well... we don't like to be negative... but...`.
and;
2) Posts by me about what it is like to be a Kiwi ESLer overseas.

You don't see much traffic on the North America, or Europe forum.
Confused
grahamb

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2003 9:56 am    Post subject: Australians and sheep Reply with quote

Well done, Khmerhit, you've found a naughty word the censor doesn't recognise!
Make the most of it before it's added to the dictionary.
khmerhit

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2003 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shag.... yes it seems to work. youre right. shag ... shagtastic.. shagadelic..
i could go on, Shocked
grahamb

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2003 10:16 am    Post subject: More shag Reply with quote

In Britain, "rough shag" refers to a kind of tobacco (for pipes, I believe):
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Australia/New Zealand All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: