Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Split site/ number of hours

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Russia & C.I.S.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
waxwing

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2003 10:24 am    Post subject: Split site/ number of hours Reply with quote

privyet, newbie here Laughing

I'm taking a trinity tefl in august and currently planning to come to russia in sept. or more likely october.

One thing that has bothered me looking at the 'big three' who are often mentioned here (I mean Language Link, International House and English First - would it be accurate to characterise these as the big three?) - 'split site'.
The idea of having to negotiate public transport every day between all the lessons is putting me off. Is it worth avoiding this? Do all three of the above mentioned use this? I suppose this is related to my more general concern that there really aren't enough hours in the day..
I used to be a schoolteacher in England, for my sins, and I know how deceptive the 'number of contact hours' statistic can be...
Do those of you who are there find yourselves stupendously busy, with no time to yourself?

I have other questions, but that'll do for now Wink

thanks in advance,
Adam
rogan

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2003 11:19 am    Post subject: ********************* Reply with quote

Last edited by rogan on Tue Jul 08, 2003 6:23 am; edited 1 time in total
Zolushka

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2003 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you know that Moscow is not the only place that language schools make their teachers travel between places? Prague is pretty dreadful too, just in case you don't know already. There are a few unpleasant things in TEFL: Namely Split Shift and Split Location! But you do develop a rhythm and get used to the Russian way of doing things. To tell you the truth, it doesn't feel so bad after a while because your students are just wonderful.
If travelling is a real issue with you, then you might want to consider smaller towns. Have you considered St Petersburg? How about Siberia? There is a nice little school called Interlang in Novosibirsk. Check out their website http://www.interlang.ru for more details. People are really friendly in Siberia.
waxwing

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2003 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First to Rogan:
many thanks. i had a couple of weeks in moscow in 2001, so I'm familiar with the metro; as I recall it is indeed excellent (got a coupla pictures of those chandeliers Smile ). Rush hour pretty bad, but I think Sao Paulo has it beat Smile

Zolushka:
many thanks for the suggestions. I'm keeping my options open until August, and yes, I certainly haven't ruled out the smaller towns (e.g. the ones around Moscow - I like the idea that you could hop on the train and be in the big city in a few hours), which would doubtless feel a bit more like real Russia. It certainly seems like the big majority of opportunities are around Moscow (presumably 'cos that's where all the money is).

As for Siberia, I admit to being quite intrigued (but also daunted) and thx v. much for the link. I take it you've lived there; does it ever feel a bit isolated? Is Novosibirsk as 'developed' (whatever that means) as Moscow?

anyway spasiba balshoye
adam
Zolushka

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2003 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, there are more opportunities in Moscow. Hence, more money. Research carefully before you 'plunge' into the deep end.
maruss

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2003 9:07 am    Post subject: and most important of all............. Reply with quote

Please do read Rogans excellent"bible" of essential points for anyone contemplating coming to work/live in Russia-work-permits,visas etc. as these are VERY important nowadays and you may well not be told about them until after you arrive and then have problems-unfortunately,employing people illegally has been standard practice with many schools in Russia for a long time,apart from the poor conditions etc.
Believe you me,Russia is definitely not a place where you would enjoy any hassle with the police,or any other officials,for that matter,most of whom are corrupt and only help when you make it"worth their while!"-and the price can be high!
M.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Russia & C.I.S. All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: