Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

no jobs in UK???

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Europe Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
minnie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2003 8:12 pm    Post subject: no jobs in UK??? Reply with quote

Didn't quite know where to post this (hope it's ok here)

I'm a newly celta qualified teacher and, although I have chosen to work abroad, I started looking into working in the UK

We were told that there is a huge demand for qualified teachers in Further Education (as they all need to, by 2004, have a celta qualification... don't quote me on this) so why is it so difficult to find a job???

Is it 'word of mouth' and 'who you know' because I see so many 'bad' teachers out there working

someone enlighten me, please!
SueH

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2003 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Minnie,

A reasonable place to post as at least I've seen it!

As to FE in the uk... which is where I currently work as a recent (April 2002) CELTA qualifier.. well, there is work, but perhaps I need to qualify this statement.

I'm currently working on the back of my CELTA. Until recently you weren't actually required to have _any_ qualifications to teach any subject in FE, even if practice dictated otherwise. As you are aware the government is changing this and in a few years you will. The CELTA certainly helped me get a job but I am now studying for a City and Guilds 4307 which will become a minimum requirement. As far as I am aware the CELTA isn't sufficient.

If you can get a job with your CELTA your college should pay for the C&G and Cert Ed (if you want) even as a part-timer under staff development budgets (experience of 3 local colleges).

Having said that you should be aware that there is a fair bit of luck, persistance and, most importantly, being in the right place at the right time in getting what will almost certainly be a part-time and temporary contract, certainly to begin with. I've been teaching at a college for 7 months but I still don't know whether I will have a job at the college in September; not based on my performance but the fact my contract isn't permanent. At the margins it is all about enrolments and how many overseas students, goverment funding for ESOL etc. there will be.

Most FE colleges will have tied up their summer school work now, but be pro-active and give it a try - they may still need more teachers or need cover and it can be a good intro. into a place without too much long term commitment on either side.

Which part of the country are you in, by the way?

Sue

Apologies for typos and grammar; I'm digesting a very substantial local sea bass, whelks and a bottle of NZ Sauvignon. I'll give the wonderful pint down the local pub a miss tonight.. (That's just to give all the expats a thought of home Smile )
scot47

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2003 8:26 am    Post subject: Teaching in the UK Reply with quote

Teaching in the UK ? Hmmmm, if you want to teach in the Third World, why not go where you get regular sunshine ? And where you can live off the money they pay you ?
SueH

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2003 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

>Teaching in the UK ? Hmmmm, if you want to teach in the Third World, why not go where you get regular sunshine ? And where you can live off the money they pay you ?<

Well Scot47, possibly due to the danger of meeting you. Possibly due to the fact that although I'm discreet I don't want a wall pushed on top of me in Saudi....
scot47

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2003 4:24 am    Post subject: walls Reply with quote

"a wall pushed on top of me" ???

You have been reading too many sensationalist stories in the News of the World.

And Saudi is not the only place where the sun shines.
SueH

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2003 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was using the oblique reference metaphorically. Problem with reading too much of this forum is we all start taking things too literally!

I grew up in a Mediterranean climate and believe that constant sunny weather is vastly over-rated. Mind you it's been yet another glorious day here and my lunchtime pint of London Pride on the terrace overlooking the harbour was superb. This evening I played in a mixed game of football down the local park. There's a lot I would miss in certain cultures, and I really don't need to sacrifice some of them for the sake of more money.

Sue
PS I believe these days it's often sunny in Scotland as well, although admittedly the people can be a bit miserable:-)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Europe Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: