Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Do I need a Degree?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Indonesia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wonder

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2003 5:29 am    Post subject: Do I need a Degree? Reply with quote

Hello All! This is my fist post to this forum. I am teaching ESL in Seoul and I am a long time member of the Korean Job Discussion board.

Anyway....I am seriously considering a move to Indonesia, Jakarta or something close. So I would appreciate some contacts and advice on the job market there.

A few things I am wondering about:

-Do I need a degree to get a visa and teach legally? I presently have a college diploma in journalism, and I have six years exp. as a Canadian journalist. I also have my TESOL Certificate and two years teaching exp. But all that would be worthless I suppose if a degree is required. However, I am currently working on my BA in Communications. With any luck, that will be over in 12-18 months

-I have read a few posts on the monthly salary. In Seoul we make about $1,500 U.S. per month. Is that comparable to Jakarta? And is it enough to live on comfortably?

-Can someone direct to a job board specific to Indonesia/Jakarta?

-I tell any newbies coming to Seoul not to blindly sign a contract and hop on a plane expecting all to be well and good when you get there. Is this also true for Indonesia?

-If in fact I decide to pay my own flight and look around for a school, will I be reimbursed and have to do a visa run, like we do in Seoul? And on that topic, is it easy to enter Indonesia as a tourist and look around for teaching jobs?

Many, many thanks to all who have the time to answer these questions. I'm sure I'll have other questions but I do plan on following this board for a couple months and doing some extensive research before making the commitment to teach there. If all goes according to plan, that will be in October.

Cheers Very Happy
dustyboat

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2003 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there,

It sounds like you have enough experience to me. I did a 4 week course in Vancouver last year(non accredited), I am doing a 4 week course with EF in England in July(non accredited) I'll be given a job after that. I don't have a degree, and it's not effected me. By the sounds of things you don't earn as much as in other schools with EF, but hey they reimburse you for your flight, pay your medical insurance,and sort your visas out, so I'm not grumbling yet. With your experience though I'd try the the other schools. what can you lose? Wink
Winmar

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2003 1:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Do I need a Degree? Reply with quote

You don't need a degree, but I think you need a teaching certificate, and a passport from a native-speaking country. You'll be fine then....

You'll get nowhere near what you're getting now! You might get $600-$650 per month outside of Jakarta. I don't know about Jakarta.... Indonesia is much cheaper than Korea though...

You'll be ok hopping on a plane if you go to a decent school. Ask around about specific schools first though.

If you rock up in Indo, you won't be reimbursed for your flight. They'll pay for your visa run though. Yeah it's easy to enter Indo as a tourist and look around.

Good luck!
ls650

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2003 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need either a bachelor's _OR_ a TEFL certificate of some kind. Essentially the school has to have some kind of paperwork to prove to Indonesian Immigration that you have the training or education to teach in Indonesia.

When I applied to my current job I had only a bachelor's degree and was still taking a course in TEFL, but neither Immigration now the school has ever asked to see my certificate, just my university diploma.
Wonder

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2003 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got the message from winmar that the the standard salary per month is $650 U.S., but I have read in other posts that the standard is more like Korea at $1500. So should split the difference???

I am not coming to Indonesia to get rich, but more than a grand a month is all I really need. Very Happy
dustyboat

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2003 8:28 am    Post subject: A grand would be nice! Reply with quote

[quote] A grand a month is all I really need. Wonder.

How can you know how much you're going to need, when you don't know the cost of living. From what I've read on this forum it varies so much from city to city, as do the wages, that you won't know how much you need until you know where you are going surely!

I'd check out what's available where before you do anything else. Have you researched the different islands, what you can do there, what the population is, you know the other parts of life!!

I'm going in September probably, My course finishes on 15th August, and EF guarantee a start soon after that. My Girlfriend is doing her CELTA too, and she'll be lookiing for a school other than an EF school, so give us a shout if you find any good ones. I've heard good things(and bad) about Medan, Bandung, Surabaya and Sulawesi. I don't care as long as it's not Jakarta!!!!(no offense t othe Jakarta fans out there...)

anyway, good luck. Might bump into you in September, who knows Very Happy
guru

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2003 6:51 am    Post subject: money Reply with quote

Language schools pay less than a grand. high schools pay $1500 plus!
ls650

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2003 8:12 am    Post subject: Re: A grand would be nice! Reply with quote

dustyboat wrote:
How can you know how much you're going to need, when you don't know the cost of living. From what I've read on this forum it varies so much from city to city, as do the wages, that you won't know how much you need until you know where you are going surely!

I'm working at a school in Tangerang, a suburb about 20 KM outside of Jakarta. I find that you can live modestly on maybe a couple million Rp a month, so if you get a salary of 7 or 8 million Rp you can live pretty comfortably, with lots of dining out and some travel around Indonesia.
Wonder

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2003 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Dustyboat....where did you get yer name??? Wink

Thanks for pointing out the fact that I DO NOT know the cost of living in Indonesia, and that the salary changes from place to place. What I should have said was I would like to make at least $1,000 U.S. per month. For some reason I am just comfortable with that figure.

I know people who are working in Thailand for $500 and even though the COL is very low there, they break even on most months.

And Guru, you say that high schools pay $1500 plus? What are the qualifications?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Indonesia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: