Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Salary and cost of living - Recife

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JoeBob

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 4:05 pm    Post subject: Salary and cost of living - Recife Reply with quote

Hello all,

I've just been offered a job at a school in Recife (through a friend), but I'm having trouble finding reliable information on how much monthly income I could expect and the cost of living.

I've asked my friend for details, but because she's a local she's not sure how much I would make or what it would cost me as a gringo to live there. I want to at least have some idea of whether or not I can afford to do this before I discuss it further with the head of the school.

I live a simple life so cost-of-living would be on the lower end of the scale, and I'm planning to take on private lessons which I know can add a lot to my income.

Does anyone have any idea of how much I can earn, and what it will cost me? Any advice would be very much appreciated!
Not St Louis

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since no one else is repsonding, let me take a stab at this:

About how much you would earn, if you are being offered a job, finding the wage should be the first or second things you find out from whomever is offering the job.

About how much it costs to live, think about what bills you would have and ask your friend how much they would cost. It should give you a good idea. Odds are you can live dirt cheap or expensive so it is up to you, but you would need to figure out your needs and ask your friend.

What kind of place do you want to live in? Shared or your own place? Cheap neighborhood or well to do? Do you cook your own food or do you eat out? Do you eat street food or do you eat at only the best restaurants? Does this help you?
JoeBob

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 9:07 am    Post subject: Thank you Reply with quote

Thanks Not St Louis... I guess I need to narrow down what it is I want a bit. I'm looking for:

-cheap accomodations (one bedroom, kitchen and bath) in a cheap but safe neighbourhood (could share a place, but not my first choice)
-cheap food (either I cook it myself, or eat street food)
-simple transportation (either walking or public transit)
-not very much shopping, partying or traveling

I guess I should ask my friend a few more questions, but she already got me the job so I don't want to ask for too much. And I asked the head of the school about wages and haven't heard back yet, so I will give them a few more days and then ask again.

Thanks for the advice! If anyone else has any insider info on Reciffe, let me know.
johnnymo

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 6:47 pm    Post subject: cost of living Reply with quote

Hi Bud,

quick reply, school will probably pay you around 1500 reis, that will get you from month to month, forget about saving anything.

best of luck.
j.
goinsouth

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:09 pm    Post subject: Recife Reply with quote

Hey JoeBob,

Let us know how it turns out. I am also interested in Recife.
goinsouth

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:11 pm    Post subject: Recife Reply with quote

Hey JoeBob,

Let us know how it turns out. I am also interested in Recife.
Tiger Beer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 11:37 am    Post subject: Re: Thank you Reply with quote

JoeBob wrote:
-cheap accomodations (one bedroom, kitchen and bath) in a cheap but safe neighbourhood (could share a place, but not my first choice)
-cheap food (either I cook it myself, or eat street food)
-simple transportation (either walking or public transit)
-not very much shopping, partying or traveling

I guess I should ask my friend a few more questions, but she already got me the job so I don't want to ask for too much. And I asked the head of the school about wages and haven't heard back yet, so I will give them a few more days and then ask again.

Thanks for the advice! If anyone else has any insider info on Reciffe, let me know.

I can't say on Recife in particular.. but generally for Brazil.. the cost-of-living is low for Northeast Brazil and so are salaries.. (this includes Recife).

Food would be cheap.. lots of street food.. cooking would be beneficial. If you don't shop, party or travel.. then maybe its the place for you.

I found Brazil an amazing place.. but I love to travel and party.. and Brazil is amazing for both and can quickly kill any additional money you brought with you because of it!

In regards to questions to your school.. its cool the local girl got you the job.. BUT.. if u are going to make a huge move over there.. its almost essential you inquire basic questions to the potential employer.

When it comes to ESL.. I interview the school just as much as they interview me.. just to get the right fit. Otherwise both of you could end up the loser.

But most people go to Brazil because it has gorgeous beaches, beautiful women and amazing nightlife.. plus its an amazingly diverse countries that many just dream of exploring. If you aren't into the nightlife or travel aspects.. and you cook at home and eat street food a lot.. then you might be a good fit for the minimal pay in a city with an equally low cost-of-living. Fortunately beaches are free.

When I lived in Sao Paulo.. my shoes wore out and I had a couple holes in them.. I kid you not, I didn't have the money to replace them. But living in Brazil was so cool, I just didn't care.
mikesspamlessemail

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 2:19 am    Post subject: Re: Thank you Reply with quote

Tiger, it sounds awesome- did you leave because of money?
Tiger Beer

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2007 8:56 am    Post subject: Re: Thank you Reply with quote

mikesspamlessemail wrote:
Tiger, it sounds awesome- did you leave because of money?

I left because I was on a tourist visa that was only good for six months.. and the laws were that you could only be on a tourist visa for 6 months out of a one-year period. Confused

Always intended to go back, but still haven't yet.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Brazil All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: