Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ESL in the UK...real facts and figures

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Europe Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Capergirl

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2003 2:12 pm    Post subject: ESL in the UK...real facts and figures Reply with quote

I am grappling with a big decision and it all comes down to the almighty dollar. I currently teach ESL in Canada and have been considering moving to the UK (for various reasons--some personal, some not). I would like to teach ESL somewhere outside of central London...preferably somewhere in Kent (Greenwich, etc.). I would like to know what the average ESL position pays in Britain and what the average cost would be for a two-bedroom furnished or partly-furnished apt in that area. Essentially, I need to know if this is a viable plan or if I will be putting myself in the "poor house" (which is not an option since my preschooler will be coming with me). Thanks in advance for any information or insights, folks. Smile
SueH

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2003 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I only had 10 seconds I'd say 'don't bother', but giving it a little longer I'd say it would be very difficult. I have my own house (a former IT career) so can get by on the part time work normally available. Full time permanent contracts at an FE college might pay GBP17K or so but are difficult to get. Do I recall you have dual citizenship otherwise the usual visa problems occur.

If you are state certified and qualified you could get a job in a state school - look at The Guardian online - I seem to recall articles on foreign/Canadian teachers in that paper.

As to rents - well, have a look at the following site, do your own searches and be prepared to be horrified...
http://www.assertahome.com/jsp/index.jsp

Frankly you'd be better off learning Cape Breton fiddle and working as a busker Smile Sorry I couldn't be more positive
scot47

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2003 4:58 am    Post subject: blunt Reply with quote

I will be blunt, as is my wont. Don't do it. You will be condemning yoiurself and child to a life of poverty. For an adult and child in SE England you will need more than your can earn in EFL. Remember the advice given by Whatisname in that Dickens novel.
Capergirl

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2003 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sue and Scot, thank you for your honest responses. Smile I suspected it was a long shot, but wanted to hear from those 'in the know'. Incidentally, would a Master's in TESOL make a difference? I am planning to do my Master's via distance within the next three years and might consider a move to the UK at that time (depending on where I am at that point in my life/career). In the meantime, I will likely remain in Canada for a year or two and then head somewhere more lucrative (the UAE? Japan?). Razz
khmerhit

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2003 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's also Cambridge and brighton which have significant ESL industries,
much stronger inthe summer of course. Why dont you contact a big company like EF and find out more? Cambridge is quite competitive for finding work, since lots of people want to live there. brighton less so, and what a nice place to live.. but alas Scot47 is probably correct in his dire prediction about the cost of living in the UK. Wel, i know he is correct from experence. but, if i may humbly make a suggestion, you might look at other options, like esl publishing or managment in a school. I went for an interview at a place yesterday and there were a few people there who were not teachers. I'm not sure what they were doing exactly, but ... my point is I think there are more opportuniteies in this industry than sometimes we know about.
Capergirl

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2003 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the suggestions, Khmerhit. I will look into it. Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Europe Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: