Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Weill Cornell Medical College
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jamboy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 12:17 pm    Post subject: Weill Cornell Medical College Reply with quote

Looking at a job with these folks. From all the posts I have read about living in Doha, it seems really expensive, especially the cost of accomodation. What would be a decent package to negotiate that would allow one to live comfortably and save a bit? Also, it seems better that the employer provides housing in addition to a base salary...rather than a housing allowance....is that the general feeling. Any other advice would also be welcome.
Thanks
Bindair Dundat

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 4:43 am    Post subject: Re: Weill Cornell Medical College Reply with quote

jamboy wrote:
Looking at a job with these folks. From all the posts I have read about living in Doha, it seems really expensive, especially the cost of accomodation.

Accomodation, yes. Everything else depends on your personal requirements. You can eat as cheaply here as you can anywhere else; even more cheaply, perhaps. Also, there are no sales taxes.

Are you alone or with a family? Big difference in housing costs right there. I'd say the range is 5,000 to 20,000 QR per month.
jamboy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll be alone so I guess that housing would be at the cheaper end of teh scale. From the posts that I have read, it seems better if one can get the employer to take care of accomodation and transportation. I just wondered what would be considered a satisfactory salary to live there comfortably.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What constitutes a satisfactory salary depends a great deal on two things... first, what are your credentials? They will set your salary limit.

And second, what is your lifestyle? Do you plan to fly out on every holiday? Do you like to party? Booze can be expensive. Do you like to eat regularly in the big hotels or are you just as happy with the corner Indian or Lebanese restaurant... or do you eat most of your meals at home? Do you want a new 4WD or are you just as happy with a used Sunny?

Housing is the biggest wild card right now. From what has been said on here, it sounds as if the rapid rise in rental rates may suggest that new people should try to get provided housing rather than an allowance which may quickly end up being too small.

VS
Bindair Dundat

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

veiledsentiments wrote:
And second, what is your lifestyle? Do you plan to fly out on every holiday? Do you like to party? Booze can be expensive. Do you like to eat regularly in the big hotels or are you just as happy with the corner Indian or Lebanese restaurant... or do you eat most of your meals at home? Do you want a new 4WD or are you just as happy with a used Sunny?

Yes, those are pretty much the big ones. Some people can't save money on salaries that would make you or me salivate, because they can't do without all of the above.
Rin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll take a used Sunny if any one's selling...just as long as it's only one or two years old, I want to be able to get collision insurance. Especially after seeing the way people drive here. Yikes! Shocked
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rin wrote:
I'll take a used Sunny if any one's selling...just as long as it's only one or two years old, I want to be able to get collision insurance. Especially after seeing the way people drive here. Yikes! Shocked

You are a few years late... I've sold a few of my used ones over the years and my first one from 1988 is still going strong in Oman with its third owner. Laughing

Just in case your post was at all serious... I'm not sure how long you've been in Qatar, but the best time to pick up the good used cars is this time of year when many expats are thinking of leaving. As a single Western woman, it normally took me a day to sell my car... usually going to the first caller. Now is the time to haunt the boards in the supermarkets and be sure everyone that you know knows that you are looking. Cool

VS
jamboy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live a very quiet life, single, do not eat out a lot. When I do, the corner Lebanese or Indian will do. If the employer takes care of the housing, what would be considered a comfortable base salary for a senior university lecturer? I am an MD with a Masters in another health specialty. I also have been teaching ESL for about 5 years but not certified in that. Just looking for estimated figures here.....even a range will do.
Bindair Dundat

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jamboy wrote:
I live a very quiet life, single, do not eat out a lot. When I do, the corner Lebanese or Indian will do. If the employer takes care of the housing, what would be considered a comfortable base salary for a senior university lecturer?

Okay, you're twisting our arms. You can rent a Japanese sedan for 2000 per month or less, and you can eat for 1500 per month. Gas is cheap, clothes are cheap if you shop carefully, haircuts are 50-60 per. You can buy some free weights for 1000 or so and go jogging or walking to exercise. After that, all is discretionary. IOW, rock bottom is around 4000 per month if housing and furniture are provided.

I have no idea what MDs make here. the range for EFL teachers is around 10,000 to over 20,000, I am told. If you're going to teach a medical specialty in WCMC, I'd look at their salaries in the States and add a premium to that. If you're going to teach English, I'd guess 18-20,000 per month would be about right, assuming all normal benefits: plane fare, end-of-service gratuity, health insurance, and little odds and ends.
jamboy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Bindair......very helpful information. That's just what I needed to help me plan/negotiate.
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're looking to save or have debts to pay, I saved 80-90% of my salary in most of my Gulf jobs, and still took at least two nice trips a year.

Good summary of current costs in Qatar these days from BD. The kicker is housing... employers want to pay allowances these days and those are the costs that are skyrocketing.

Your credentials should put you in a good position. There are other colleges and universities that are teaching medicine to check out if this job doesn't work out. The financial situation is similar...

VS
QatarChic

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I couldn't agree more with BD, as VS also said housing is the biggest problem. If I had a choice I personally would take housing as opposed to the allowance. Food and everyhting else here is cheap- petrol is cheaper than water here! Laughing
Bindair Dundat

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

veiledsentiments wrote:
The kicker is housing... employers want to pay allowances these days and those are the costs that are skyrocketing.

Qatar recently put a 10% p.a. lid on rent increases. If your landlord tries to beat you out of more, you pay your rent to the court and let them sort things out.

Score 1 for Qatar. Now if they could only get these roundabouts taken out...
QatarChic

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bindair Dundat wrote:
[ Now if they could only get these roundabouts taken out...

I agree add that to the never ending road works and you end up taking double the time to get to work........ Mad
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bindair Dundat wrote:
veiledsentiments wrote:
The kicker is housing... employers want to pay allowances these days and those are the costs that are skyrocketing.

Qatar recently put a 10% p.a. lid on rent increases. If your landlord tries to beat you out of more, you pay your rent to the court and let them sort things out.

Score 1 for Qatar.

Now that is a sensible law... I hope it is unformly enforced for all landlords, not just those with limited wasta.

To be honest, I can understand why many employers went to allowances rather than provide furnished housing. One did get tired of listening to everyone whinge about how so-and-so had a better location, bigger balconies, better view, nicer appliances, etc.

I quickly learned to prefer an allowance and to be able to choose my own place and furniture, but in the past, rents were stable. People with a longish contract with a set allowance need to know that rents can't skyrocket as they have been doing lately in Doha and Dubai.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Qatar All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: