Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Insurance

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pushok

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2003 4:45 pm    Post subject: Insurance Reply with quote

I would genuniely appreciate as many replies as possible on this one.

The company I work for (I don't want to name them at this point) has informed us that our insurance covers only employees (not dependents) and only whilst on duty (not whilst in the compound) in the case of acts of terrorism.

For me, this is a make or break situation and if my dependants are not covered then I need to consider seriously if I wish us to stay in the Kingdom.

So, I would really like to know how other people stand in other companies on this matter - insurance in the case of terrorist acts. All replies are most appreciated.
scot47

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2003 5:49 am    Post subject: Health ? Insurance Reply with quote

What kind of insurance are you asking about ? Health Cover ? Or Life Cover - where the next of kin gets a lump sum on the death of the party covered ?

Some companies do not provide Health Insurance for dependants. You then have to make your own arrangements. I am covered by my emploters but also have private coer for which I pay 185 riyals a month. If I want to cover dependants when they join me there is an additional charge. Medical cover for females casn be more expensive than for males.

If you are nervous about the K of SA, then I suggest that you look for somewhere else that is safe. (Let me know when you find somewhere.)
Cleopatra

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2003 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I know 'acts of terrorism' (whatever that means) are not covered by most insurance policies.
As the above post says, if you are really that worried about 'terrorism' in KSA, maybe it isn't the place for you. Nobody can say how real the threat is, or if or when they will strike again. However, what I would say is that you're far far more likely to be killed while negotiating the horrendous Riyadh traffic than you are to be a bombing victim. Make sure your insurance covers road accidents!
Pushok

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2003 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Myself and my family have full medical insurance paid for by my company which covers road accidents. I am talking specifically about 'acts of terrorism' here. As said most insurance policies don't cover this, nor does ours and so this is where my 'personal' concern lies.

My company has set up a fund which covers me only during work hours in the instance of 'terrorism', but not outside work and not my dependants.

My question was whether other employees and dependants of them get the same or not in the KSA.

Sorry, but the question was not about whether I should stay or not based on how worried I am (this is a decision that only be made on a personal and individual level)- I am fully aware of the risks whether they be on the roads, eating a dodgy shawerma or indeed terrorism.
scot47

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2003 10:43 am    Post subject: what kind of insurance. Reply with quote

Are you saying that your medical insurance will not provide cover in the event of a terrorist incident involving you ?
I think this is unlikely.

Or are you talking about Life Cover ? You need to be clearer in formulating your question.

And my feeling is that if you worry too much Saudi is not a good place for you. Go live somewhere safe, like..................... Oh ! Is there anywhere safe ?.
Pushok

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2003 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am talking specifically about medical cover and my medical cover states in the exclusions section:

We will not be liable for any claim resulting from:
(i) war, invasion, civil war, armed hostility, rebellion, revolution, overthrow of a legally constituted government, insurrection or military or usurped power, explosion of war weapon(s)...

My company has set up a system of cover which covers ME whilst ON DUTY only. My dependants are not covered with medical insurance at any time relating to the above.

At the moment I and my family don't have life insurance to cover any situation. I'm talking specifically about medical cover.

So, my question remains the same - how do other people and their dependants stand on this matter?

Finally, can I just please ask that we leave the 'if you can't stand the heat...' stance on this? The decision to stay or leave the KSA will be different for everyone based on many factors including the above. I do not feel afraid for myself or my family - I wouldn't be here at all otherwise. However, for everyone lines have to be drawn. If it's of any consequence I spent 5 years in Moscow and was there when Chechnyan terrorists were bombing residential tower blocks - which killed over 200 inside a week.
scot47

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2003 1:40 pm    Post subject: medical cover Reply with quote

I am on vacation at the moment and the documents on our medical cover are far away in KSA. Will certainly check this out when I return but I have the feeling (!!) that we are covered.

My point in the last sentence is that nowhere is safe in the New Age of Gloabl Terrorism. You could be in London, Moscow, New York or Riyadh and still be wiped out by the IRA, Abusayyaf, the Red Brigades or Al-Qaeda. I am not surethat this message has got through to everyone yet.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: