Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

volunteer positions (good idea/bad idea)?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Newbie Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jf19

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2003 8:58 pm    Post subject: volunteer positions (good idea/bad idea)? Reply with quote

hey guys and gals.

I'm planning on heading over to China sometime in the late fall (actually anywhere in asia), and I'm wondering if volunteer teaching positions are a good way to try teaching in general? Does anyone know any reputable volunteer associations that I can get in touch with?

The main purpose of my trip is NOT teaching. And I'm NOT planning to support myself by taking ESL jobs. It's just something I'd like to try during my trip to see if I like it, and I'm wondering if volunteering as a teaching assistant for a little while would be a good way to go.

I've come across a few volunteer programs on the internet, but most of them seem to require a rather large payment (I'm supposed to pay them to get the volunteer position). Is this common practice, or should I stay away from such programs?

any help and advice is greatly appreciated

cheers,
john
Linda L.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2003 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why buy the cow when you can milk her for free?

Why volunteer when you can get paid?
jf19

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2003 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm taking the infamous year-off-from-college to do some traveling (which means I don't have the degree required in many places), and while I'm at it I'd like to see what teaching ESL is all about. Like I said in my original post, I'm not looking for a paid position. I don't feel I'm qualified, and (I might be mistaken but) being a volunteer assistant rather than a full teacher would mean less responsibility, especially if it turns out I can't clearly teach the difference between a noun and a verb Wink

I know this sounds confusing, so: travel = #1 purpose of my trip, teaching ESL = something to try along the way, would like to know if volunteering is a good way to do it.

cheers,
john
Linda L.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2003 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Teach ESL in China. You are qualified and the demands on your time, well, about 18 hours a week.

Get paid!!!!

Volunteer positions require more hours and better qualifications. Believe it or not!
bnix

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2003 11:39 pm    Post subject: Why Not Look at Other Options? Reply with quote

This is not meant as anything personally directed against the original poster,but if he does not feel qualified(he is honest about that one,to his credit),why try to teach TESOL?We have too many people trying to "teach'.Of course,ultimately,you will do what you want to do,but why not look at other options?
And no,I do not intend to get involved in any flames over "the right of everyone"(unqualified as well as qualified) to teach.That is an old,old issue.But I do suggest the original poster at least think of options.I do agree with Linda on the pay thing. If you are going to teach,why not do it for pay?There are plenty of people out there in this field willing to take advantage of your altruistic motives.I am not saying all of them will take advantage of a volunteer...but lots will. At least think it over carefully before you do anything like that. Good luck. Smile
PanamaTeacher

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2003 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jf19

The best things in life are free; we do not all share the view that everything we do must have a price. Share yourself, the world will love you. Smile
C76

Location: somewhere between beauty and truth...in Toronto. ;)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2003 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John,

Welcome!

If volunteering is what you're comfortable with, I encourage you to continue your research. Keep on being careful.

I'm glad you're posting here because there are plenty of pros around who can offer practical advice.

I'm not one of them. I'm still learning. Wink

About that fee...

Whenever I've looked up a company that offered volunteer (teaching) jobs overseas...They wanted money. Usually of a few thousand dollars. Confused

In fact, I've seen this so often...I've taken it for granted that that's the industry norm.

What is it with these people? You tell them you'd like to do some good in the world. They tell you you've got to pay them. Shocked

I hope you will be able to get in touch with a quality organization. Money or no money, you don't deserve to be taken advantage of.

Keep your eyes on this thread. Someone's bound to drop in with a (semi-)definitive answer to your qs.
jf19

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2003 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Linda L.:, thank you, I'll keep your advice in mind. I still have a couple of months to decide, which should give me some time to weigh my options.

bnix: again, I'll keep what you said in mind. I'm not going to be taking up a paid position, nor am I going to claim to be a full-blown teacher to any potential employers. So the qualified teachers currently working in China can rest easy..And my motives aren't completely altruistic, but I think any volunteer work means being taken advantage of, to a certain extent. Wink

PanamaTeacher: agree with you completely..Nice to know that there people like yourself who feel that way.

C76: I think you're correct, that fee is pretty standard. $2000 for an apartment (hole in the wall?) for 5+ months and a chance to try something new is not a bad deal..Compared to Toronto (my neck of the woods).

appreciate the input, all

cheers,
john
Linda L.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2003 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"There is a sucker born every minute." P.T. Barnum
Roger

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2003 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Linda,
sorry to disagree with you unambiguously, but this guy IS NOT QUALIFIED to teach in China. He may land himself a job, but that does not qualify him.
Linda L.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2003 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roger I stand corrected and will endeavor to chose my words more precisely in the future. Thank you.
PanamaTeacher

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2003 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roger--Hi amigo Smile! Always good to read your posts, especially your thoughts on literature. Smile

I thought it only took a warm body with a pulse rate to teach in certain schools in China. Might he not be "qualified" for those schools that have lower standards? Isn't being "qualified" in the eyes of the individual institutions? There is no universal standard is there? Otherwise, you open up a potential can of worms because so many teachers have less credentials than even John.

I agree with you philosophically; I just worry about using too broad a brush with the term "unqualified." What are your thoughts? Smile

Tu amigo en Panama
jf19

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2003 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've read a few other posts on this forum and I think you qualified teachers have good reason to be defensive/suspicious of complete newbies who finance their trips under the pretence of being ESL instructors.

So, in case you've missed my previous posts, I'll reiterate. I'm considering a volunteer teaching ASSISTANT position. I am NOT looking for positions where I will be left one on one with a class of students and act as their final authority on the English language. I will NOT claim to be anything more than a native English speaker who would like to see what teaching is like. I'm NOT going to finance my stay by teaching/attempting to teach.

I'm not going to go over my reasons for choosing volunteer over paid positions.

so, back to the original question. Can anyone suggest a good volunteer organization?

appreciate your time and replies, even if some have been off-topic.

cheers,
john
veiledsentiments

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2003 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John

It sounds to me as if you are approaching this whole thing with the right attitude. But, I am not sure if 'volunteering' overseas is the best way to test the waters is this field.

When I was making the decision on whether to get in many moons ago, I volunteered with the local Adult Education Center near my home in the US. They put me in as assistant with one of their best teachers and it was a chance to work with mixed nationalities. I enjoyed it enough to make the decision to go and get an MA in TEFL.

Personally I find these 'pay thousands of dollars' to 'volunteer' organizations a bit bizarre. Sorry that I can't suggest any for you. Better to get into the Peace Corp for a year instead.

So, you could always devote your year off to travel and see if you like the lifestyle in various countries and you could test the waters of teaching by volunteering in the US and you know more what you are getting involved with.

Good Luck Smile

VS
bnix

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2003 10:53 pm    Post subject: A Couple of Suggestions Reply with quote

Of course,it is your own business if you want to volunteer.I am sure you have very good reasons.
I am surprised nobody has mentioned the Peace Corps or VSO(Volunteers in Service Overseas ) to you.
Peace Corps almost always insists on only taking US citizens.I do not know if that applies to you or not.They do have some problems(everything has its advantages and disadvantages),but they will provide the support you need to be a volunteer overseas.Briefly,they usually provide some training,airfare to the country where you are assigned,a living allowance,health care, and an End of Service Allowance amounting to a few thousand bucks after your two years is up.They want a two year commitment,and although you can express a preference for place of assignment,they do not guarantee that you will go to the place you want.You might choose China,and wind up in Africa.For further info,contact them,if you are interested.
If you are from the UK or Canada,they have the VSO oraganization,which is somewhat similar to the US Peace Corps.
I hope this helps you.Although it is a volunteer organization,there are lots of apps for the Peace Corps,and they do not accept everyone.But you can check it out.

There are also some organizations out there(like World Teach,based at Harvard) that charge a fee to their volunteers.I believe World Teach charges about $5000 for their "placement fee".Personally, I would suggest that you forget about people like that.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Newbie Forum All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: