Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Where are we pulled in off the street to teach English?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Asia Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
edgrimley

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2003 8:18 am    Post subject: Where are we pulled in off the street to teach English? Reply with quote

Well, that's the story one used to hear about Taiwan and Japan (ten and fifteen years ago respectively?)

I was fortunate enough to be in Phnom Penh, Cambodia 1994-95 during which time I taught for the most prestigious private school with many government and NGO contracts. The rate was US$16 per hour after the first term at $12. Although the six days a week classes that started at 6 am(!) wrecked me it was a great life of cheap grass (I didn't indulge), cheap ass (no comment), and warm people. The school was basically honest and there was no cheating of teachers (though I think using Headway was little benefit to students)

Cambodia was perhaps a unique situation - an NGO circus of tax dollars, starting to recover from civil war, fire fights at nights between rival police, military and political factions, but I loved it. I was a good teacher and students were polite and some even eager (two Russian brats not withstanding).

A few years after 1995 teachers were a dime a dozen and rates went down because people are not afraid to go there anymore. In fact it wasn't really horrible. I even went out during violent conflicts to buy sandwiches. Tanks in the street on CNN. Call mom to tell her not in my part of town. Hey, life goes on...

So where is the new 'Wild East' where the living is cheap, wages high and living adventurous? Most of all where middle aged men with no degree can easily find work based on their white faces and teaching experience, that is. I considered East Asia for income but I lived in Japan in 1991 also teaching and frankly hated the mentality. South-east Asia rules. I'd much rather live well than save money. But Thailand is out 'cause I've spent so much time there it's time for a change.
khmerhit

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2003 5:42 am    Post subject: Still Selling Cambodia Reply with quote

Quote:
For the film, Jolie spent two weeks on location in Cambodia � a beautiful country with a terrible history of civil war and genocide. Jolie said the experience deeply moved her.

"When we left, I cried for about three days, and I didn't know why," the actress told ABCNEWS' Barbara Walters in an interview airing tonight on 20/20. "I didn't know what that country had gone through, I didn't learn about it in history, and they were so warm, and so beautiful, and so pure and honest, and the country, I just loved the country."

Watch Angelina Jolie's Interview with Barbara Walter July 11, Friday at 10 p.m. on ABC 20/20

ABC Angelina Jolie's Interview

Angelina doesn't really know very much about Cambodia, but her first impressions are authentic. Nobody forgets Kampuchea.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Asia Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: