Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Moving to France -- guidebook advice

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mooseontheloose

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 2:50 pm    Post subject: Moving to France -- guidebook advice Reply with quote

Hi all,

I'll be moving to France in September to begin teaching and I've found a lot of useful information about living and working in France from these boards already. However, I'm as much a traveller as a teacher and of course I plan on travelling around the country as much as I can (afford to). Obviously I'll need (and want) some books to get me started when I'm there and I'd really appreciate any thoughts people have on the following:

1) General guidebooks to France (Lonely Planet, Rough Guides, Cadogan, Footprint,etc).
2) Specific guidebooks to regions or cities (Paris, Cote d'Azur, etc)
3) Books about culture, history, activities, food, or wine
4) Fiction or personal accounts in France

With numbers 1 and 2 I'm not only interested in what people have found the most useful but also what they thought was a waste of time and money; with 3 and 4 I'd like to have a deeper background and understanding of where I'll be living and want to read as much as I can before going in addition to bringing a few books with me when I go.

Also, if people have other recommendations concerning neighboring countries, that would really useful as well. I'd also like to know about some websites that cater to people living and working in France, and not just travelling through it.

Cheers.
Do the moo shoo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hiya, can't really help with the books etc, but can with the personal opinion and travel experience. I love France and have visited a lot of cities, my favourites being Nantes, Marseille and Rouen.

I think the answers depend on whether you prefer being in a rural quiet area, or if you prefer a night life!

Obviously if you tend to like staying in the middle of nowhere, I suggest villages in the countryside (There are absolutely millions) but these tend to be more expensive for accommodation and will probably not give any work.

Cities on the other hand will obviously be rich with work, but accommodation will often not be as nice, and the streets etc noisy.

I suggest browsing the internet before you go and making a travel plan of the areas that you would like to see, then have a look at how much money you have to spend and think of the owrst case scenario-that you can't find work in the majority of places that you visit-and then budget for the short comings.

Personally, I dont mind sleeping in the odd train station or bus shelter (Obviously as long as its fairly safe) to be able to save up a bit of extra dosh for site seeing, but it's all personal I guess!
Perpetual Traveller

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 11:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Moving to France -- guidebook advice Reply with quote

mooseontheloose wrote:

1) General guidebooks to France (Lonely Planet, Rough Guides, Cadogan, Footprint,etc).
2) Specific guidebooks to regions or cities (Paris, Cote d'Azur, etc)
3) Books about culture, history, activities, food, or wine
4) Fiction or personal accounts in France

1. I have a rough guide to Europe that is a few years out of date now but I have found it pretty good. I used to like lonely planet as well but I just used their Eastern Europe guide for the last months and it was crap. I think that LP has really forgotten what made it great and is now trying to be everything to everyone and is failing miserably.

4. Try 'A Year In The Merde' by Stephan Clarke and 'Almost French' by Sarah Turnball both are pretty enjoyable accounts of people adjusting to life in Paris.

But for the most part I would just suggest that you flick through a couple in a bookstore and see what takes your fancy or wait until you get here, that way you don't have to carry them!

PT
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> France All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: