Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

a maths teacher in the UK or Ireland but as a foreigner

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Kingdom
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bilobrkster

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 12:39 pm    Post subject: a maths teacher in the UK or Ireland but as a foreigner Reply with quote

Hi all!

I am a maths teacher from Croatia. I have recently gotten my degree and would like to teach maths to kids. The problem is this:

As a beginner teacher here in Croatia i can get 7500� per year.
I saw on some website that in Ireland this sum is about 29000�. You see what I mean?

Is it possible to get a job teaching maths in the UK or Ireland as a foreigner and (much more important) as a NON-EU national?
SueH

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For a shortage subject in the UK the answer is yes, but I don't have details. Certainly worth researching and take a look at the Department of Education website. Bit busy now, but I'm sure others will have links to hand.
Bilobrkster

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

can someone tell me what happens in the UK or Ireland when a kid is falling behind with maths?

here in croatia he usually gets private classes or private lessons from a maths teacher or a student which the parrents pay for. the average price for 60minutes is 50 kuna which is about 7�. of course there is no VAT Laughing Laughing
SueH

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More like �20 an hour for tutoring in the UK. No VAT (as you'll be under the lower limit) but there is tax, and the Inland Revenue keep a very close eye on small ads and agencies (if you use one).
Bilobrkster

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SueH wrote:
More like �20 an hour for tutoring in the UK. No VAT (as you'll be under the lower limit) but there is tax, and the Inland Revenue keep a very close eye on small ads and agencies (if you use one).

but let's say one goes completely legit and pays all ones taxes for this type of work, what would you end up with? �10 or �15

if it's �10 can you tell me what can you buy for �10 in the UK? I know it's a stupid question but here, for the above mentioned 50 kuna I could:

- drink 5 pints of beer in a bar
or
- go to a town 69 kilometers from my hometown and back by bus
or
- basically survive a whole day (food wise). i could go out to some fast food place 3 times (breakfast lunch and dinner Laughing ) and get a hamburger (and it's really big here, my cousin from germany couldn't believe how big, it's like 3 big mac's) for 12 kuna each or 36 kuna total and use the remaining 14 kuna to buy 3 half-litre bottles of coca-cola

i know it's hard to compare but what's the bare minimum of money one needs to make it a month in the UK? please factor in food, board, power-water-gas bills!
SueH

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm, that's a "how long is a piece of string?" question.

Approximate figures: you pay no tax on the first �6000 in a year and 10% on the next �2000: after that it's (help,I've forgotten) 20% I think. [I live in Italy now!], plus National Insurance of approximately 10% but slightly different for self-employed.

Not sure you'd get a visa for self-employment, but see my comments in a previous post about state school jobs.

Beer - I would get 4, 5 or 6 pints for my money depending where I was but others might dispute that. It's perfectly possible though. Eating out is expensive for anything decent and transport costs are phenomenal. Learn to cook and get a bicycle (or motorbike)!

Accommodation is also expensive and in the big cities you'll probably be in a room in a shared house.

Have a look round the 'net for other answers, they're all there somewhere.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> United Kingdom All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: