Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What should I look for in a contract?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Thailand
View previous topic :: View next topic  
suzieQ

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2003 2:42 pm    Post subject: What should I look for in a contract? Reply with quote

I am really new at this and I was wondering if anyone might be able to help me out with my contract. I know this is a fairly broad topic, but what are the major points I should be looking for before I sign the contract? Confused
Tabitha Smallpiece

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2003 11:44 pm    Post subject: What should I look for in a contract ? Reply with quote

Susy Q,

Contracts in Thailand are not worth a light, the employer can and indeed will dismiss you on any pretext that they like if they decide you do not fit into their grand scheme of things.

Contracts written in English, or indeed any other language other than Thai hold no legal right at all in Thai courts of law. Here at our school we employ our staff on normal western terms, no written contract, however there is a teachers handbook which details both our obligations and also the teachers obligations.

We do positively vet all our applicants and indeed we have always had a positive response from our staff, this may of course be due to the fact that they are all teaching professionals recruited from various parts of the world and with relevant experience within the international schools setting.
sigmoid

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2003 1:40 pm    Post subject: CONTRACT CONTENTS Reply with quote

If you work at a university you receive a contract in Thai with a translation in English. In my case and the case of people I know, the contract has always been honored. I don't think you can get a work permit without a contract.

The contract normally covers salary [of course], housing/housing allowance, number of teaching and office hours, insurance, holidays and sick days, bonuses, conditions for terminating the contract, and a few other odds and sods.

hagakuri

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2003 3:56 pm    Post subject: I think Reply with quote

Typically, although contracts are not legally binding, they are honored as a matter of principle.

The hiring institution(s) are aware that if they summarily dismiss employees there will be fall-out. This means that they risk losing more employees if they start firing employees without cause.

In Thailand, teachers usually have a fairly strong unity within the school because they often spend a great deal of social time together after hours. They dont like being messed with. There are enough things to deal with than having to deal with administration of a firing rampage.

As its said.... there is strength in numbers.

Hope this helps.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Thailand All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: