Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Recife, Fortaleza, or Belo Horizonte

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dang

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 12:01 am    Post subject: Recife, Fortaleza, or Belo Horizonte Reply with quote

Hello,
I'm heading down to Brazil in September and have the possibility of working in either Recife, Fortaleza, or Belo Horizonte, and am having a great deal of difficulty making up my mind.

I'm most interested in getting a genuine, brazilian experience, and in having a lot fun with locals. It would also be nice to be somewhere that has a bit of an international scene since I've never been to Brazil and my portuguese is rather sketchy at best.

Also, I'm gay. And while that isn't a major concern, it's always more fun to be somewhere that has a bit of a scene.

Beaches, while nice, are not my primary concern, but physical beauty is definitely a bonus.

I'd be really curious to hear about anybody's experiences in any of these cities, good or bad.

Thanks tons!
dan.
dimitri25

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi. i read that you are considering Belo Horizonte. I lived for about a year in Belo Horizonte in 2004. I definitely had a very good time there. I found out where all the "GLS" places were in town. There are a couple of good barzinhos near the center of town and then there is a club called Josefine's in the Savassi (the rich part of town) area. This club is gay on Thursday nights and the other nights it is mixed. If you like good dance music, a club with a lot of beautiful people, then this is the club to go to. Belo Horizonte is definitely a pleasant place to be. There is a town called Ouro Preto about an hr and a half away that is a touristy type place and great for Carnaval and taking photos. The weather is nice too in BH, however there are few foreigners, and nothing in comparison to Sao Paulo or Rio de Janeiro. My advice to you is to learn Portuguese as soon as you can. This will make your life so much easier and more fun....great music, great people, handsome guys and beautiful women, and lots of mountains nearby. if you have any other questions, then feel free to PM me.

cheers

Last edited by dimitri25 on Mon Aug 28, 2006 11:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
PeroPero

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you wanna be into the gay scene, dont go to recife or fortaleza.....
i was born in fortaleza ^^
Tiger Beer

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never been to Belo, Fortaleza or Recife.

But I did teach English in both Sao Paulo and Rio de Jainero. Comparitively, I absolutely loved living and working in Sao Paulo, and hated it in Rio. Although from a touristic perspective, it was the other way around.

In the tourist areas, most people treat and assume you are a tourist, and act towards you in that way. Being that Fortaleza and Recife are tourist cities, I would imagine they'd be like Rio was to me.

Belo on the other hand, is a more working city (with probably more $ to pay for English classes). When I was in Sao Paulo, I was much more a novelty, and people's curiousity was a lot more genuine and real (compared to Rio's view of me at a possible ATM machine).

I can't help but think an experience in Belo, would be quite similar.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Brazil All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: