Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Overseas Medical Check----Z Visa
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 22, 23, 24  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ajarn Miguk

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2003 10:58 am    Post subject: Overseas Medical Check----Z Visa Reply with quote

Need some help, folks.

I'm trying to get an answer as to how extensive and what form the overseas medical check must take for issuance of a Z visa? I can't seem to get a clear answer from the Embassy and I don't want to find out at the last minute that I got the wrong type. Is it expected to be a real physical exam with x-rays, bloodwork, urine, etc., or will just a visit to the local MD do the trick?

Thanks.
Minhang Oz

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2003 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ajarn
The last time I had a medical in Australia, it was using an embassy provided pro-forma. Anything else would be a waste of time.
Check your local embassy website; it should be there for you to download.
Make sure your doctor carries out EVERY test on the form, or you'll probably have to get the whole thing done again here - a common occurence.
Ajarn Miguk

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2003 10:22 pm    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

Minhang Oz wrote:
Ajarn
The last time I had a medical in Australia, it was using an embassy provided pro-forma. Anything else would be a waste of time.
Check your local embassy website; it should be there for you to download.
Make sure your doctor carries out EVERY test on the form, or you'll probably have to get the whole thing done again here - a common occurence.

Exactly what I was afraid of, MO. The info provided on the website is not helpful and asking them results in it must be, "a complete check."

There's just got be an easier way. Thanks.
Minhang Oz

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2003 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can find an English language form for the foreigner medical at:

www.china-embassy.org/visapassport/english/qzbg.htm

You need Form BG-14, and Acrobat Reader to download.

MODERATORS Should this be a sticky?
lost&confused

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2003 11:38 pm    Post subject: Wait till you get to China Reply with quote

The embassy told me a general practioner was fine as long as he/she performed all the tests listed on the BG-14 Physical Examination for Foreigner form. So, I went to my family doctor who did all that - blood work, X-ray, EKG and all the rest and signed the form. Then I emailed a scanned copy of the form to my prospective China employer.

Great! Problem was as soon as I got to China, my employer took me to the local hospital (along with other teachers) and repeated the whole thing again. All of it. From what I've heard, this is SOP throughout China.

So, why spend your own money? My advice is to wait till you get to China (my test there was very professional using new, clean disposable syringes) and let your employer pay, since he probably will whether you have it done at home or not.
Cobra

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2003 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
(my test there was very professional using new, clean disposable syringes)

The Shanghai Star has run several articles about how hospital waste is collected, washed, re-packaged and distributed as new. Needles and syringes were the main item on the re-sale menu.
Wolf

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2003 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh heh.

I was living in Japan when I wanted to come to China. So I found an English speaking doctor (Hey, I speak Japanese but I guessed that English would be my best bet - esp trying to get into China!) and had him give me a "test." I described what it was for, and he BSed half of it. We just made it up as we went. It sounded all official and stuff.

Then here's the kicker: He hanko - ed it with his clinic's stamp and his own personal stamp. I stapled the (also stamped) reciept to the test. Now, a Japanese hanko is a red - ink stamp that they use to sign documents (no writing your name to sign things). And - of course - the're covered with Chinese characters (duh.) So my medical check had what looked a lot like not one but two offical chops on it! Very Happy I got my Z visa issued on that tomfoolery!

Well, actually it seems wierd that they wouldn't notice the (obviously) Japanese name, etc of the clinic. But they took the report (Just on blank paper with what the doc and I cooked up. I was even the one that typed it!) at face value - and I did see them stare at the hankos (heh "chops") for a moment or two before accepting it off me.

PS The Chinese do seem utterly oblivious to the substantial cultural similarities with the Japanese (and vice versa.)
Roger

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2003 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The medical exam performed in CHINA is done to determine whether you are HIV-free. HIV-carriers are not allowed to work in the PR of C.
The fact that you underwent a medical test in another country does not absolve you from this duty in China; local authorities won't even trust Chinese professional peers in a different city, or worse: Province, let alone a foreign doctor!

AIDS is reputed to be a 'foreigners' disease'. Therefore the repetition.
Ajarn Miguk

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2003 11:48 pm    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

MO--Thanks for the lead to the form. Will get back to you with more questions, I'm sure! Thanks to all.
Mr. Kalgukshi
Mod Team
Mod Team

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2003 12:18 am    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

Minhang Oz wrote:
You can find an English language form for the foreigner medical at:

www.china-embassy.org/visapassport/english/qzbg.htm

You need Form BG-14, and Acrobat Reader to download.

MODERATORS Should this be a sticky?

Probably not a bad idea. Why don't you bring it to Dave Sperling's attention? Thanks for the suggestion and information.
Seth

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2003 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I got the medical check in the US the doctor just wrote 'no obvious symptoms' on the EKG and the lung exray part to save me money. I took neither test nor handed in any results from them, all I had was the blood test. The consulate in Chicago accepted it as it was.

Ajarn, i'll have those phone numbers for you when I find them
Joe C.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2003 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes it is a question of pot luck.

I have seen in Guangzhou where those that really insist are allowed to use their out-of-country medical exam, but all have been required to repeat their blood work here locally.

Personally, it's cheaper to get it done here. Since the only clinic in Guangzhou that does visa medical exams caters, obviously, mostly to foreigners, I doubt they'd risk using recycled needles.
ChinaLady

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2003 11:49 am    Post subject: The medical exam? Reply with quote

hi guys. just got done with mine on Friday. in NanChang. the doc's were great. all the needles were pulled from sealed packages. spent a hour or so. results were yesterday, the schoolis now processing my new visa.
when I cam over from Korea, 2 years ago, I had the exam done in Korea. took all day and cost me close to 100 USD. and the Chinese did their own exam anyway. live and learn. note: ne doc was smoking when we wlked into his office. gave him a bit of a bad time for the smoking. than saw the bottles of beer. told him beer was great, smoking was bad. he laughed and gave us each a bottle of Style Light beer. let's see. go to a western doc and get candy, go to a Chinese doc and get beer. this seems okay! and the exam was interesting. esp the EKG. the machine must have been 50 years old with suction cups, and a doc who resembled Mrs. Strangelove. what a fun morning!
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2003 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a warning, I've known more than a few people who get their medical checks in their home country and spend tons of money and then get here and are told that it's not valid.

Get it done here, much cheaper, less hassle, your employeers will usually reimburse you.

And yes, it is a FULL physical
Ajarn Miguk

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2003 11:12 am    Post subject: Valid Reply with quote

If the physical done overseas serves as part of the basis on which your Z visa is issued before you ever travel and work in China, why wouldn't it be valid? Valid for what? Who or what makes you get another?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 22, 23, 24  Next
Page 1 of 24

Jump to: