Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Overseas Medical Check----Z Visa
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 22, 23, 24  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shroob

PostPosted: Wed Aug 31, 2011 7:57 am    Post subject: Re: Medical check - from Hanoi Reply with quote

peas4luck wrote:
I'm in the same position with the medical - I'm currently living in Vietnam, trying to sort this all out. The uni says they need the medical to apply for the Letter of Invitation and they aren't budging. I have no idea where to go in Vietnam to get this done (form is in english and Chinese) and also don't want to fork out a bunch of money for tests that are just going to be repeated once I arrive in China (I already have to go to Cambodia to get the z, Hanoi won't issue visas to foreigners).

So, Shroob - that email that you quoted, who was that from? You just have the initials there and I'm not sure who is was addressed to/answered by.

Anyone else have any experience with this? Does it differ by province? I spoke with the consulate in Cambodia and they said I did have to have the medical but there was a place there I could get it done there.

If I do have to have the medical, can I skip all the expensive tests and wait for China?

Any information is GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks,
Christy

The email was from someone at the Chinese embassy - I just emailed the address given on their website. It was signed by '6', strangely.

I've been told that I just need the basic medical by the recruiter, I've also been advised that if I do need tests I will have them in China. So all I'm having is the blood tests and the basic medical. I'll let you know how it works out in a month or so!
Mike E

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Confused.
Seeking employment with university in Guangdong Province. Still in US, beginning visa process.
Last night, my employer-to-be sent me this message: "I need your health certificate issued by foreign medical institutions approved by the Chinese embassies and consulates. Please as soon as possible."
This is the first time she has had a teacher come directly from the states to teach at her university, so I think that she's doing the same as me: looking up how the process is supposed to work.
But today I spoke with a couple people at visa courier services, and they both told me that no health form will be needed for my Z visa app.
So, what would you think my employer wants it for? Is it possible she needs it before she can get me a Work Permit? Also, any thoughts on exactly what "health certificate" she is referring to?
Thanks.
choudoufu

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://forums.eslcafe.com/job/viewtopic.php?t=4192

there's a sticky on "overseas medical check" which
will have all the answers.

http://forums.eslcafe.com/job/viewtopic.php?t=26047

and another on obtainina a z-visa.
Mike E

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This *is* the sticky on "overseas medical check."
Mike E

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Every list I've seen of documents needed to get a work permit just describes the health one as "health certificate." But is there one particular certificate that I'm supposed to take to my doctor and have him fill out? Or does it mean something like go get a physical/check-up and have your doctor give you whatever checklist form they happen to use?
bluetortilla

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike E wrote:
This *is* the sticky on "overseas medical check."

Due respect- but not everything is so easy to find on the stickies and I see no harm in rehashing stuff. Things do change (a lot of sticky posts can be from 5 or 6 years ago) and text messages take up very little drive space. The more current info available the better.

And the health check issue with the Z visa IS confusing. I think it's important to know that when your health certificate emailed to your employer in China (scanned obviously) is presented to immigration (or whatever the name the powers that be go by- my employer is calling it 'the bureau') by your employer for your work permit, and the medical facility is NOT on that consulate or embassy list, immigration will MOST LIKELY still accept it (that's why people are told they don't need one, etc.). But they may also insist you go by the book and do it an approved facility.

Either way, it depends on the mood of the officers(s) (according to my employer again) but there's no reason to think you won't get the permit eventually if you just do as instructed.

Either way, you'll get another physical all over again in China and I have no idea what that entails, but it seems pretty basic. Yes, I read the Sticky on getting the Z Visa and the medical exam, but I remember that too as being arbitrary- most said it was no big deal. If you have a specific question about what's being tested for, etc., the sticky would be the best place to post it I think.
lemak

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How long does it take to get the average medical check back these days. I know HIV results can be obtained near instantly now, but last time I checked at a fairly reputable hospital in Korea they said 17 days Surprised How about some place like Bumrungrad in Bangkers? Anyone done it there?
bluetortilla

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lemak wrote:
I know HIV results can be obtained near instantly now, but last time I checked at a fairly reputable hospital in Korea they said 17 days Surprised

The ELISA test for HIV is very fast but has a comparatively high rate of false positives. If you test positive, then a Western Blot is usually done to confirm, which usually takes a week but I think some hospitals can do it in a day.

I don't what goes on China. If you test false positive, you're out? I tested negative on the ELISA so assume I'll stay that way. Protocol says double testing all positives.
lemak

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Bluetortilla.
Any idea if a medical check performed at a Chinese embassy approved medical facility in one country would be considered valid at a Chinese embassy in another country?
For example I can easily do my medical check in Korea, but am having difficulties with the Z visa here. Getting the Z in Bangkok shouldn't be a problem, but I don't have time to sit around there waiting for test results.
Can I take my Korean medical check and submit it in Thailand?
Or is assuming to get a reliable and accurate answer to such questions a near impossibility?
bluetortilla

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lemak wrote:

Any idea if a medical check performed at a Chinese embassy approved medical facility in one country would be considered valid at a Chinese embassy in another country?
For example I can easily do my medical check in Korea, but am having difficulties with the Z visa here. Getting the Z in Bangkok shouldn't be a problem, but I don't have time to sit around there waiting for test results.
Or is assuming to get a reliable and accurate answer to such questions a near impossibility?

Could you explain more why you're having trouble with the Z Visa in Korea but would not have trouble in Thailand? Do you not have residency in Korea? As far as I know, getting the tests done shouldn't take more than a couple of days (mine took a day). No doubt you know that you'll get tested again in China anyway, so it's a superfluous time and money waster anyway.
This is a question for your agent or the person in charge of your work permit. They'll submit the report to immigration in China, and it will be there that it's decided whether to accept the medical report or not. For example, I just went to my neighborhood hospital (not a consulate approved facility), got their stamp, and the report was approved. Good luck.
lemak

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bluetortilla wrote:
lemak wrote:

Could you explain more why you're having trouble with the Z Visa in Korea but would not have trouble in Thailand? Do you not have residency in Korea? As far as I know, getting the tests done shouldn't take more than a couple of days (mine took a day). No doubt you know that you'll get tested again in China anyway, so it's a superfluous time and money waster anyway.
This is a question for your agent or the person in charge of your work permit. They'll submit the report to immigration in China, and it will be there that it's decided whether to accept the medical report or not. For example, I just went to my neighborhood hospital (not a consulate approved facility), got their stamp, and the report was approved. Good luck.

The problem lies with the Chinese embassy in Korea not issuing Z visas to non-Korean residents (except under some pretty strict circumstances that niether me, nor the missus meet). As with everything BKK is a lot more lenient. It's not a problem at the school's end requiring me to apply from a home embassy or whatever, rather just the embassy here being anal.
Did a health check here today (Fri) which will be ready by Monday. $30. For future reference Bumrungrad Hospital in Bangkok emailed me to say they can do it same day if you arrive early enough...around 2,500 baht (70 US bucks?). Will use this one to send to China for the invitation letter, and if possible will use it to apply for the visa in Thailand. If they don't take it, then big deal. Wait one more day. Thanks for your answers anyhow, BT.

(P.S what's that volcano in your avatar? Rinjani??)
bluetortilla

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lemak wrote:

The problem lies with the Chinese embassy in Korea not issuing Z visas to non-Korean residents (except under some pretty strict circumstances that niether me, nor the missus meet). As with everything BKK is a lot more lenient. It's not a problem at the school's end requiring me to apply from a home embassy or whatever, rather just the embassy here being anal.
Did a health check here today (Fri) which will be ready by Monday. $30. For future reference Bumrungrad Hospital in Bangkok emailed me to say they can do it same day if you arrive early enough...around 2,500 baht (70 US bucks?). Will use this one to send to China for the invitation letter, and if possible will use it to apply for the visa in Thailand. If they don't take it, then big deal. Wait one more day. Thanks for your answers anyhow, BT.

(P.S what's that volcano in your avatar? Rinjani??)

Indeed Rinjani it is...dreaming of Rinjani.

To my disappoint it is just as you say- the consulate here in Fukuoka is very AR and although everything was approved in China, I have to get ANOTHER medical here which will set me back 300 sorely needed USD. And, as everyone knows, there will be ANOTHER check in China which is always the case it seems regardless.
Bureaucracy is a blind idiot god. By the way, my school did ask me to apply at the consulate of my residence (Japan) and Chinese immigration also wanted copies of residency documents before issuing the LOI and Work Permit.
bluetortilla

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 3:56 am    Post subject: Re: Herpes and medical exam Reply with quote

[quote="HunanForeignGuy"]
WangAn wrote:

Dear WangAn,

There have been two other threads about this started by a poster calling himself RexGardner. Do a search and you will learn a great deal.

BUT

1. If one is HIV positive, one can be expect to be removed from China very quickly.

2. If one has fullblown AIDS, then one can be expected to removed from China more quickly after the medical test.

3. It is my understanding, and I am not a medical practitioner, so you will need to check with a doctor, that if one has had a form of VD or syphilis, that a thorough blood screening, such as they do here in China, will turn up traces of these diseases even SEVEN years after they have treated. If indeed this is true, this will suffice to get one removed from China.

4. Herpes is in the same category as above, I hate to say.

5. These particular rules are applied across-the-board in China. Where I have seen leniency is when a person is infected with a treatable form of TB . There was one such experience in my school in Hunan with an Australian. He was treated, allowed to be retested and then admitted.

Sorry the news is so grim but that's the reality of it here.

I can't find any instances of anyone having their visa rejected because of hepatitis. I've never heard about being tested for herpes, or for that matter, gonorrea, or chlamydia tests either. Herpes is very common.

I tried to do a search on RexGardner and nothing came up. I clicked the 'Search Author' button; that's right, right?
lemak

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bluetortilla wrote:
I have to get ANOTHER medical here which will set me back 300 sorely needed USD.

$300 is horrendously expensive. I paid less than a 10th of that in equivilently expensive South Korea. All English speaking staff, spotlessly clean, in and out in 30 minutes. Results available in one working day. They even checked my blood type for free (Finally know after 35 years).

Ditto re: previous post. Something like 75% of adults who've had sex carry the herpes virus, but maybe remain symptom free their whole life. Any first hand stories of someone being rejected a visa simply because they get cold sores??
bluetortilla

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lemak wrote:

Ditto re: previous post. Something like 75% of adults who've had sex carry the herpes virus, but maybe remain symptom free their whole life. Any first hand stories of someone being rejected a visa simply because they get cold sores??

I seriously doubt that Chinese immigration law could be so arbitrary. If it were, you'd be hearing stories. If it were, it would offer little job security and who would want to live there anyway?

If HIV carriers can legally visit China now, why would you think you would be deported for cold sores? Everyone has viruses and/or antibodies- everyone is or has been infected by something or another...That's life.

From what I can gather, China is not as paranoid and reactionary as some people post, though compared to other countries they are strict and thorough. We live in a discriminatory world.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> China (Job-related Posts Only) All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 16, 17, 18 ... 22, 23, 24  Next
Page 17 of 24

Jump to: