Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

First timer

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Cambodia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TDL999

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 8:15 am    Post subject: First timer Reply with quote

I'm planning to teach in Cambodia (first choice!) or Vietnam (financially more sensible choice), arriving in about May 07. Do I need to bring original docs with me (CELTA/Degree) or will scanned ones do? I'll be travelling for 4 months beforehand and am worried that they will get trashed/lost etc. Would laminating them be okay?

Is May a bad time to turn up to teach, or are schools open all year round? Whats the job market like in Siem Reap in comparison to PP? Is it possible to get work that doesn't start at 6am (not a good morning person!!)?? Would I be able to make enough in Cambodia to keep 2 people with low expectations?

I'm a newbie at both the teaching and travelling, so any, and all, advice would be most gratefully received!!
anospi

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first job post CELTA was in Phnom Penh, and I went travelling beforehand. I took certified copies of my degree and CELTA certificate, although I wasn't asked to show them at my interview.

The schools are open year round as far as I know, but I'm not too sure how they go about recruiting. I worked at ACE, was employed towards the end of a term and thus had a few weeks without work to get settled.

If you get a job at ACE you will have 6am starts. I'm not sure about the other schools though. Khmers like to get up early and have their fix of English before they start work so my guess is they'll be hard to avoid. Suited me, as I am a morning person.

There are plenty of schools in Siem Reap, although again I'm not sure about recruiting. I don't think you will have a problem finding work. Just grab a copy of the Cambodia yellow pages, and visit all the schools with resume in hand.

You may have trouble supporting two people on one english teachers wage. Things are slightly more expensive in Cambodia than in Thailand and Vietnam.

Check out the forums on www.khmer440.com for more info from expats living there.
TDL999

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 11:22 am    Post subject: Term times? Reply with quote

Cheers for the advice. When are term-times in PP - so I can judge my best arrival time?
anospi

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only know the terms at ACE. There are four 10 week terms a year, beginning in January, early April, late July and late September.

Ask around on khmer440. Also, I think the Cambodia yellow pages have a website. Do a google search, and you might be able to get email addresses for other schools.

Siem Reap would be a pretty quiet place to live. Don't get me wrong, I loved the town, but there was plenty more happening in Phnom Penh.
TDL999

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are jobs available outside of term start times? I'll be arriving approx end of May (typical me!!).

And would you recommend emailing a cv to schools first, and then hitting the pavement when I get there?
anospi

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are jobs available outside of term start times? It's hard to say. There is a high turnover of teachers, so the best you can do is tell the schools you're available, and if a vacancy comes up they might get in touch.

Wouldn't hurt to email your CV first. I did that.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Cambodia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: