Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Conditons in Israel
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
roni

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello. I came across this website accidentally, and I read some of the things posted about Israel. Maybe I can give a few tips since I am Israeli (I apologize about my English). First, the wages/salaries in Israel are very low, certainly compared to western countries. In some areas in Israel the average income for a hired worker is $1,000-$1,500 and this is before taxes. An excellent salary for a hired worker would be $2,500-$3,000 before taxes. A university professor who is renowned in his field worldwide (enough to merit receiving the Nobel prize) makes about $2,500 after taxes. Teachers work very hard and earn very little money--many of the teachers supplement their incomes by giving private lessons after school. Of course, people in the private sector make much more money, especially if they're in the hi-tech business, but they can expect to have up to 50% of their earnings deducted for taxes, social security, etc. If a person is interested in making a lot of money, Israel is the wrong place to come to unless he/she is an expert in his/her field and has been invited by some company/organization to come here. Of course, there are also many wealthy people in Israel, but the majority of people scramble to make a living. There are many excellent reasons to visit or work in Israel, but making money shouldn't be one of them. If you teach English here, you may very well have to share your apartment--a few years ago I took conversation lessons in French at one of the universities, and the teacher, a young woman from France, was sharing her apartment in Tel Aviv with another teacher. Having said all this, Israel, to me, is the best place on earth to live, however, and I recommend coming here to see this magnificent, vibrant country.
I hope this is helpful.

Roni
Ramat Aviv Teacher

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 5:41 pm    Post subject: Living in Israel Reply with quote

I live and work in Israel on TASP (Teach and Study Program). I want to elaborate on what I have experienced living here in Tel Aviv.

I come from a very small city in North Carolina named Monroe. I went to school just outside of Washington, DC. I have never felt safer in my life, living here in Tel Aviv. My day to day life is very much carefree. I love it here. It's like what life was like when I was a kid in the 80's. I can walk alone at night in the city without worry about crime. I know it's hard to believe, but bombs are not flying left and right in Israel.

Car wrecks make the front of the newspaper, not violent crime. And it's not to say that they are masking something. The violent crime is very low in Israel.

I use the public transportation here in Tel Aviv. I don't have a car. Terrorism, fortunately seems to be under control right now. You know, when I'm in New York City and I ride the subway, I instinctively think of suicide attacks and 911. When I'm in Israel, I think about it as well, it's a fact. But when I feel uncomfortable, or I feel unsafe (which is VERY RARELY), I get off at the next bus stop.

My advice is that if you have a dream to live and work in Israel, try to follow it. I came right after the ceasefire last summer, and I have not regretted it for one second. It has been the best decision of my life.
lyndalorient

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Teachers in Israel don't get paid very well, usually around 4200 shekels a month, which works out to about $800-$1000 US. Not bad, but again the cost of living is high

I hate to say it but that kind of salary would be extremely hard to live on Israel. I am Irish and Israel is the only place I have personaly found to be far more expensive than Ireland. Difference is in Ireland, our minimum wage would be far more than 1000 dollars and thats for cleaners and waiting staff never mind a teacher. If 1000 dollars PM is the reality of working in Israel I wouldn t do it. It just sounds like torture surviving on that. Unless you just want to be in the country then thats fine if its what you really want.

P.S. Is it true that petrol is 4 dollars a litre? I heard that but Im not sure how true that is.
chemdah

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
There are many excellent reasons to visit or work in Israel, but making money shouldn't be one of them.

Q: What's a good way to make a small fortune in Israel?

A: To arrive with a big one. Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Israel All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: