Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Degree verification - comparing Saudi A with others
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Middle East Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
edgrimley

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2003 11:30 pm    Post subject: Degree verification - comparing Saudi A with others Reply with quote

I have worked in Asia but never the Middle East. My question is how strict (or sloppy) prospective employers and bureacrats are about verifying that degree holders are legit. For example, they might ask to see an original. Or they might go all the way and demand an original transcript sent from the issuing insititution. Common sense suggests that the more prestigious and high paying the institution (and that doesn't include government employees presumably) the more work they are willing and even eager to undertake.

I don't want to get into ethical questions here. They is purely about the realities of procedure. For example someone with experience in four Middle Eastern countries might reply that a the Tinkerbell School in Egypt (OK, so that's North Africa) was a breeze but the University of Dofar in Yemen was a grilling interview. Whatever. Experiences please. My experience in Asia is that in S.E. Asia private schools could care less and just make a verbal enquiry.
Cleopatra

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2003 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Universites etc in the UAE - probably also in KSA - demand that a verified copy of the degree is sent to them directly from the university. For my job in a hospital in KSA, they allowed me to send them a copy of my degree, but it had to be stamped and verified by a lawyer in my home country.
Mark100

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2003 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If by reading between the lines of your post you are thinking you can get away with dodgy documents in KSA think again.
Degrees and certificates carry very high prestige in the ME and all documents are scrupulously checked.
scot47

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2003 10:47 am    Post subject: degrees Reply with quote

In Saudi you are not likely to get away with a dodgy document. Most employers check carefully. In your case I will advise my boss to do a double check !
dunesweeper

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2003 12:25 pm    Post subject: degree verification Reply with quote

I agree with scot47.

I`ve worked with people with both fraudulent and questionable (unverifiable) qualifications before, and I don`t care to do it again.

Those who pass themselves off as MAs or PhDs without having gone through the programs will, at some point, more than likely complicate, or inconvenience, the lives of those of us who are appropriately qualified.

By all means, Mr. Edgrimley, stay away from the Middle East unless you can verify your qualifications.
scot47

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2003 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MrEdgrimley has other posts on similar lines. I am pleased to say that people with phoney or funny degrees have little chance in the institution where I teach.

In previous institutions I have taaught with "colleagues" who had no highere education and no teacher training. I would not like to work alongside the unqualified again. And yes a degree is important.

If you do not have at least a BA you shopuld not be teaching English. And it helps if you can spell and have literacy in English. It seems that a degree from an anglophone university no longer guarantees this.
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2003 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So how to you get a verified copy of a degree if you no longer work or live in the country where you got your degree?

Do they accept scans of the original, or can I lawyer in another country verifiy it, or will most schools accept a transcript from your univeristy?
dunesweeper

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2003 1:28 am    Post subject: Degree Verification Reply with quote

To verify your degree, simply contact your univerity`s records odepartment/registrar, either via post or the internet.

Many universities have "request-for-transcripts-to-be-sent" forms available online, which you can print, complete, and fax - with credit card information for billing purposes. I`ve done this many times. Thus, you needn`t be physically present in the country where you obtained your degree(s).
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2003 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a relief that they only want transcripts. I know with Mexico, you have to go through the whole appostilation of a degree and you have to send your degree to your State Education bereau, then go to a lawyer to get it notarized or apostiled.

So in the Middle East, they just want to see your original degree and a transcript? I don't need to get it notarized or anything like that?
dunesweeper

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2003 4:07 am    Post subject: Degree Verification Reply with quote

I believe that having transcripts sent directly from the Records or Registrar`s Office at your respective university carries the same weight as a notarized document.

I`ve never had the problem you describe, regarding Mexican requirements.
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2003 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So you don't need to get the degrees apostilized? Transcripts will do? That's wonderful news! I was going to scratch Mexico off my list of places to work, because I thought it would be too expensive and too much trouble to do the apostilization.
Chrisbee

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2003 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
In your case I will advise my boss to do a double check !

LOL
hmbaba

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2003 7:33 pm    Post subject: Degree verification - comparing SA with others Reply with quote

Hello,
It's fairly common with tertiary places that you need your degrees authenticated. (Is that the same as apostelized - or whatever that word was somebody used?)
For US degrees that can be a very long and complex process, up to Washington level and then further stamps in the country where you are going to work. If you are not there, in the state where you got your degree it can be very time-consuming and frustrating.
For Brits., it's a bit easier.
Other nationalities, I don't know.
WHY DO EMPLOYERS NEED IT? Because at some point, somebody with phoney degrees conned them, and so the whatever (high) percent of honest folk out there have to go thru this rigmorole, hassle and expense because of one (and it only takes one) conartist.
Regards,
Heather
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2003 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmbaba,
So how exactly do you get your degree apostolized if you aren't living in the States? Is there a webstie that tells you how?
Stephen Jones

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2003 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In Saudi you must get your degrees verified by the Saudi Cultural Bureau in your country. They contact the university direct. The degree must come from an institution on the approved list.

Language schools do not require a degree.

Private Schools don't require the check up from the Saudi Cultural Mission. I believe you are supposed to have the degree however. I know of at least one case of a degree from a degree mill whose holder taught in a Saudi school and was foolish enough to apply to us for a job. I sent him a letter back telling him his degree was bogus, and passed a copy along to my boss asking him to inform the school the other person was working at. I know of other cases where I have asked to see the original degrees dropped off with security at the gate and that was the last I heard of the application.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Middle East Forum All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: