Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Shooting in Riyadh
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pushok

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2003 7:38 am    Post subject: Shooting in Riyadh Reply with quote

I'm pasting this message from the British Consulate's warden:

An incident in Riyadh yesterday (3 August) highlighted the continuing need for British nationals to be vigilant and security-conscious. Two shots were fired into a car being driven by a British national on the King Khalid Highway at about 3.15 p.m. Fortunately, the driver was not hurt. It is not yet clear by whom, or from where, the shots were fired. The police are investigating.

Does anyone know any more about this? Any thoughts?

I'm in Jeddah, so don't feel too much at risk - what about folks in Riyadh?
scot47

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2003 10:50 am    Post subject: Watch out for potshots and crackpots Reply with quote

Advice from the UK Embassy in Riyadh recently has been to keep a low profile and avoid routines. You can check out one version on the website of the Arab News.
scot47

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2003 5:22 am    Post subject: shooters Reply with quote

Info is available from Her Britannic Majesty's Representatives :

NEWSLETTER 18-03

WARDENS NOTICE

An incident in Riyadh yesterday (3 August) highlighted the continuing need for British nationals to be vigilant and security-conscious. Two shots were fired into a car being driven by a British national on the King Khalid Highway at about 3.15 p.m. Fortunately, the driver was not hurt. It is not yet clear by whom, or from where, the shots were fired. The police are investigating.

We reiterate our advice on security, most recently set out in our Notice of 23 July 2003, and available on our website www.ukm.org.sa. In relation to security while driving, we suggest particularly:

� carry a mobile phone
� vary your routes to avoid predictability
� if you think you are being followed, go directly to a safe place (e.g. a compound or a police station)
� at traffic lights or in slow traffic, leave a gap between your car and the vehicle in front to avoid being boxed in
� if you think you may be under attack, attract others' attention by switching on headlights and hazard warning lights and sounding the horn
� try to note details of suspect vehicles

Please inform the Consul General of any incident; (02) 622 5550 from 8am to 3pm, Saturday to Wednesday; duty officer at other times 055 621533.

William John Neil
H.M Consul
Maria Knapp
Consular Assistant
622 5550 x 2238
FTN: 8417 2238
scot47

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2003 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

More Shootings in Riyadh.

It was reported inthe Arab News (12 Aug ?) that there had been more shootings in Riyadh as armed terrorists had a shoot-out with police.

The other news of late is that the four westerners found guilt of planting bombs have been released. the officual vesrion of events is that these bombings were a turf war between western bootleggers. Suspicions amongst the foreign community in Riyadh were that these people had been targetted by Islamist terrorists.
Cleopatra

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2003 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What does anyone think of the theory that the two news stories Scot speaks of may in fact be related? That, in other words, not a few Saudis are extremly annoyed by the double standard whereby Westerners are freed while Saudis and other nationalities who are treated unfairly are left to rot in jail? Not to mention Guantanamo Bay ...
Pilot in Command

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2003 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Cleo,

I'm fed up to here with your bleeding heart for the poor Saudis -- you know, the ones who have to "endure" hardship in getting US visas (I hear that ole world's smallest violin again!) and the "unfortunate ones" who are imprisoned for complicity in terrorist activities. You have a lot of nerve comparing those with the BS story of western boozers blowing each other up in turf wars Mad

Wake up and smell the coffee...

Try sharing your sympathy for those poor Saudi guys with any of the families of the 3,000+ VICTIMS of 9/11 (and let us not forget 5/12/03)! Think you'll find a sympathetic ear?

Are you an American?
scot47

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2003 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

News today (13 Aug) is that British Airways are suspending flights between London and KSA indefinitely. News reports say that five saudi policeman were killed in a hootout the other night in Riyadh.

I am still on vacation but will be returning (NOT on British Airways) in a few days.

How are things in Riyadh, Jeddah, Dhahran ?

Roadblocks everywhere I imagine.

Ah well, I will just reconcile myself to staying on campus wearing a flak-jacket and tin hat. On a more serious note I have xdecided that my family will stay at home until we see how things develop.
Cleopatra

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2003 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pilot,

You are reading things into my post which I never said.

I said that many Saudis feel that there is a double standard in the way Westerners are treated vis a vis Saudis themsleves. I never ofr a moment suggested that those British guys were guilty - what I am saying is that everyone knows that there are thousands of innocent people in Saudi jails who are left there indefinately without charge. Many Saudis are annoyed because their government is clearly more concerend with keeping Western governments happy than with providing justice for their own people.

As for those who are "complicit in terrorist activities" - how do you know that? Nobody in G Bay has been given any sort of a trial or has been charged with anything. Doubtless some of them are guilty - of soemthing - but just as doubtless, many are not. Those who are guilty should of course be punished accordingly. Without putting them on trial in a fair manner, there is simply no way of knowing. Injustice is injustice whether practiced by the US or by the Saudi government. If recognizing that makes me a bleeding heart, so be it.
shadowfax

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2003 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

waste of time and energy

Last edited by shadowfax on Mon May 03, 2004 2:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
manonatrain

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2003 3:29 pm    Post subject: Just as I suspected Reply with quote

Cleopatra is not a teacher.

she is either a censor or a relative who works for
a local Saudi School. Or some pro Arab wacko

she posts on UAE boards spouting the same happy happy
arab world is safe and beautiful B.S.

Yes we like the Arabs and WE are also treated differently,
the word BETTER does not come to mind CLEO.

And guess what we are different...but this conversation
with you is a waste of time because you are here to
make the problems in the Gulf seem trite.

Why? well whatever your M.O. that is your business but
get off the board.
Cleopatra

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2003 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What can I say in reply to the lunatic ravings above?

Nothing, except to reiterate Scot's advice from another board. Which is: let manonatrain be a cautionary tale to you all. This is proof positive that expat life in the Gulf can be perilous to your psychological well-being.

Assuming, of course, that you are not loony to begin with. This is not something which can be said for quite a few ME expats.
scot47

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2003 10:51 am    Post subject: Train Travellers Reply with quote

The harsh truth is that many people continue in EFL in the M.E. for years after they have quite clearly gone over the edge into insanity.

Nothing happens to them until they go back "home" wherever that used to be and try to live there. Very often they end up as psychiatric patients.

Sounds familiar ? Think carefully before coming to work in the M.E.

It is NOT an easy option.
manonatrain

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2003 1:49 pm    Post subject: sticks and stones Reply with quote

well there is a clearly a campain on the Middle East boards to make
the poor arab world sound free of ANY problems of oppressions.

Funny how Amnesty International will agree with me and not you
Cleopatra. And Scot...who�s he...does it matter.

Should I stop posting because you are trying to discredit the
sane things I say.

If I was posting �crazy overthewall�things about the ME, I would admitt it.
And a reader would see it.

But I have posted hardly any of the really bad shit that I know
has happened.

And I know Middle East censors and Korean Censors and China Censors
bully posters...

Let me know,... what frightens you about what I wrote.

That the Middle East has some abusive practices, that it is
not nice for Asian women. If they have a choice that is. If they
come from Indian and Pakistan, then we know how much the money
will mean to their families so they put up with difficult things.

That people get murdered and women get thrown off balconies and
it is called a trend in suicides...of maids..mmmmmmm not likely.

Are you sure you are educated ?

Anyway, let the reader decide which version on the truth to accept.

And you guys do sound a little ranty and ravy yourselves.

Well, more than a little, a lot.

Rolling Eyes

Scot do you mean that a TEFLer shouldn�t come to the Middle East if
they want to feel free to criticize ? Cause you sure sound like that is
what you are saying.

And If i was a newbie to the Middle East I would wonder why
you are saying the ME is not for everyone. If it is so great, then
it would be. But as Scot will agree the amount of censorship and
denile that goes will affect you as a teacher and you better be
ready to deal with that reality.

That is true, but unlike most I do not feel intimidated to
share my experiences with newbies who ask.
scot47

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2003 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me get this straight. I work in the Middle East as a Teacher of English.

I am NOT a missionary, or someone who has come here to convert the poor Arabs to the "right way of life".

If you are here as a missionary then you clearly are working on a different plan to mine. I pkan to do a reasonable job of teaching Englsih and pick up my pay cheque at the end of the month.

Now "Manonatrain" what is YOUR plan ? Assuming that someone as flakey as you can have a plan at all.
khmerhit

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2003 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scot47 warned:
Quote:
The harsh truth is that many people continue in EFL in the M.E. for years after they have quite clearly gone over the edge into insanity.

Nothing happens to them until they go back "home" wherever that used to be and try to live there. Very often they end up as psychiatric patients.

Sounds familiar ? Think carefully before coming to work in the M.E.

It is NOT an easy option.

Having met a few ME vets in Cambodia, I can vouch for the accuracy of Scot's post. My favourite was the chap who arrived with a load of cash from a Saudi contract, opened a restaurant that was doomed to failure, and saw his investment evaporate in six months. He also tried to import a car and a truck he had bought in Saudi -- they were held in customs by officials who wanted 50 000 dollars for their release -- probably double their value. Finally he found someone with the influence to spring them; this official wanted one of the vehicles for his trouble!

When I consider going to the ME, and I'm thinking of it, such stories come to mind and i think again. And again.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Saudi Arabia All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: