Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Finding work in Bordeaux as non-EU - realistic?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
alexz129

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 8:19 pm    Post subject: Finding work in Bordeaux as non-EU - realistic? Reply with quote

Hello,

I am getting my TEFL in January and wondering about finding work in Bordeaux in March as a non-EU citizen. I heard that finding "under the table" work is possible, but difficult. To further compound things, I dont currently speak French (although I could start taking classes now).

Is this just a pipe dream, or do people think I might be able to find some work in Bordeaux next spring without a work visa?

Thanks,
Alex
rogan

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The short answer is "Forget it"

In the Bordeaux area there are large numbers of native speaker Brits, many of whom are qualified to teach and will be way ahead of you in any application process.

Legitimate employers are not likely to take the risk employing an "illegal" as a teacher. They face huge fines and criminal procedures.

France is tightening the rules about illegal immigrants/workers and is even sending schoolchildren out of the country because they do not have resident/work permits.

To add to your problems, any interview you have with a French company would be in French. Your written application would also probably need to be in French.
go2guy

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahem ... the back door is always open my friend! If you take time to read through previous posts about "working holiday visas" you may find your ticket (if you fit the age and nationality parameters). Good luck!
medusa

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 2:03 pm    Post subject: Bordeaux.....work! Reply with quote

I'd have to agree with both above comments. Without the correct working papers it is difficult but if you can get hold of a working holiday visa, or better still, enrol at the University (very, very cheap fees) giving you a student visa which also allows you to work you can find work.
It's true, there's a huge number of 'anglophones' here, all searching for work and many who are highly qualified but through lack of jobs turn to teaching not forgetting the french teacher trained bilinguals. It doesn't mean that you won't find work.
Try the rectorat: the governing body for all teachers in the region. Previous posts give details of those jobs, including a teaching assistant, lecteur jobs and vacataire. Otherwise there are few private companies teaching adults and business men. If you are truly motivated, and show intitiative you should be able to find teaching hours between Acadomia and other 'soutien scolaire' places and of course a few private lessons on the black.
I would recommend you brush up your french though. If you're not making the effort, many potential employers won't either!
Good luck and don't hesitate to im me for more info!!
Nmarie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been both a teaching assistant and a lectrice, and I concur that you will need French. The assistantship application is entirely in French and requires a signed assessment (by a professor, employer, etc.) of your language level. Most lecteur interviews and meetings I have attended have been in French. I just couldn't imagine someone without the language ability being able to land one of these positions.
Deicide

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 3:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Finding work in Bordeaux as non-EU - realistic? Reply with quote

alexz129 wrote:
Hello,

I am getting my TEFL in January and wondering about finding work in Bordeaux in March as a non-EU citizen. I heard that finding "under the table" work is possible, but difficult. To further compound things, I dont currently speak French (although I could start taking classes now).

Is this just a pipe dream, or do people think I might be able to find some work in Bordeaux next spring without a work visa?

Thanks,
Alex

In the Name of Zeus...get of the pipe an forget about it...nigh impossible...
medusa

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 7:58 pm    Post subject: A job in Bordeaux..... Reply with quote

Hello all,

If any of you are already living in Bordeaux and looking for teaching work, check out the job centre web pages: www.anpe.fr
Berlitz Bordeaux are looking for a native english speaker to teach........
Hope you all find work!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> France All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: