Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Do French still hate Americans?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
eslman

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 10:51 pm    Post subject: Do French still hate Americans? Reply with quote

I was wondering if being an American in France is not a 'plus'
when finding a job? I was concidering moving back to France to teach English, after completing a CELTA course, but I am not too confident on job availability and often fealt some American resentment:
I had very little luck with companies even replying to my resumes or showing any interest in hiring me. I had to jump countries and flocked over to Poland and found work immediately, and now I am even respected there. Have times changed in France, or is it just my experience? I like the country but find the system very beurocratic and conservative, maybe due to these crazy labor laws.
danielita

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The French don't hate ALL Americans. That's like saying that ALL dogs bite people....All of my students are French and some of them hate Americans, some are just indifferent, some of them truly love them!
My best guess is that your problem is that most French people require British English and prefer to be trained with a British accent and vocabulary. Also, as you are American it is much more of a headache for you to get a working visa than an ESL teacher from England who is already eligible to work in France.

So you are likely right, you are being overlooked because you are American but it's not because they hate you....

D
stillnosheep

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Do [the] French still hate Americans?"

Do you still beat your wife?
paulmanser

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

French hate Americans?

If your going to talk about the Iraq war possibly.

More better questions would be do the poles hate russians/germans. French hate English?
angrysoba

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do we all still hate Jacques Chirac?

I do.
paulmanser

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me too.

I dont think anyone hates Bush. More of a joke/amusement.
Someone to not take seriously Laughing

BY the way did anyone see Mr Bush walk to the wrong locked door in China a while back?

so funny haha Laughing
eslman

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm,
Maybe it is just me, but I feel when I am in Paris, Parisians in general have some resentment or something against me as I am an American. I am not proud of my countries politics nor my government, but I do not think it is right to streotype people just based on this..I never voted for Bush!
I guess one could say the same about this topic thread : All French do not hate Americans..I know that Smile
In fact, I know many nice French people, but it seems when trying to find a job there, it is hell. It seems harder to get work there many other countries in the EU. I have worked now in Poland, Germany and Italy with no problems at all, but In France, I had no luck..Weird.
brianS

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The French only like (some) French! It's not just Americans who find it diifficult to get a job. I have often had to re-translate menus for example, which have been translated into non-idiomatic English by French English teachers...but it doesn't stop the fact that the French prefer to employ themselves.
If you think about it, the only people who notice the difference are other native speakers...you can't make a French employer see why one version is more "English"..if you could they wouldn't need the lessons.
This is one of the major problems of working at higher levels with French students. They have an educational system which promotes 'content' as opposed to understanding or style, so when you try to promote an understanding of the differences of register for example they don't think they have learned anything...
for example try suggesting that 'would you mind saying that again?' is better than the usual 'repeat please'..
kayson

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't believe the French hate Americans. They hate our politics and they really don't understand how we could elect Bush, not once but twice. And as sophisticated as they are politically that whole 50% of the country voted against him thing seems to be conveniently forgotten. I am American and have lived in Paris off and on for the last two years. My experience is that many Parisiens can be difficult towards everyone, not just Americans. Some Americans expect to be treated with more respect just because they are American. That definitely doesn't happen here. Most of my students do say the British accent is easier for them to understand, but if you already have working papers it shouldn't be that difficult for you to get a job in Paris. Getting a job that pays well enough to cover the cost of parisien living , now that may take some divine intervention. Oh, and if you don't already have working papers, even divine intervention won't get you a job.
eslman

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe after I get a Celta, it will help...
I have a Carte de Residente, so that permits me to legally work and live there..
Met mo Francaise est na pas bien Smile
As for the French hating our Gov't, that I can totally understand, but Chirac is no Saint either. I still do not even understand how Americans could have re-elected Bush, but the World is strange.
M@tt

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the french hate everyone, including themselves.
lolwhites

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do Americans still hate the French?
eslman

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I try not to hate because it is a real waste of bad energy, it
so much easier to love, or is it?
Pollux

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The French do not hate Americans. Even at the time Americans were dumpimg French wine and renaming French fries, I never heard anyone say a derogatory thing to me. That says something about French people. Anyway, from my experience, American English is prefered to Br.E. since the French companies trade predominately with US companies. Since you have Carte de Resident you should have no problem finding work. However, you need to be in France. I think that is the problem. Applying from outside just doesn't work. Finding a place to live is a different issue.

PM me if you want a contact to get you started.
eslman

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Pollux,
Yes, Having the card maybe will be one of my best attributes in finding work in Paris. I am going to attend a CELTA course and upon completion, maybe I will have a chance at Paris. As for finding an apartment, it may be a bit of a mess, but maybe I can get a friend to co-sign a place. I wonder if I could make around 1600/monthE teaching English there as that is like my minimum I would need to survive.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> France All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: