Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cert IV in workplace training and assessment/award rate

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Australia/New Zealand
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kevinmc

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 4:00 am    Post subject: Cert IV in workplace training and assessment/award rate Reply with quote

Hi everyone!

I'm planning on moving to Oz next year and have been looking into the job situation a bit. Just a couple of questions that I'm not too clear on:

What is the Certificate IV in Workplace Training and Assessment, and what type of jobs require one? I have a B.Commerce, TESOL cert(4 month program with practicum), MA TESOL and almost 10 years experience in different countries, do I still need to get this cert. for some jobs?

Do all jobs pay award rate, and what sort of rate could I expect for different types of positions (ELICOS, TAFE, etc...)? I feel like I'm learning a whole new vocabulary with all the Australia-specific acronyms and jargon that seems to be out there...

Any answers/advice/links greatly appreciated!

Cheers,
Kevin
moot point

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm also off to Australia next year. From what I understand the Cert IV is a requirement to teach at the TAFE's. I can't recall exactly what is involved in getting the certificate but you can easily find information about it by doing a search.

Good luck in your new endeavour.

BTW, where in Australia are you going? I'll be in Cairns.
kevinmc

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 11:07 pm    Post subject: thanks! Reply with quote

Thanks moot point. I have found some info about what the certificate is, but not what jobs specifically require it. I was wondering if there's a set level of job (like TAFE as you said) that you must have it for or if it's more of a 'it's up to each employer' thing...

I'll be moving to Sydney. Cairns is a great place though - good luck to you there!

Anyone else have info about this cert.? Also the award rate, pretty much the same question - does it apply to all jobs or is it up to the employer? If it's the latter, can anyone working in the Sydney area give me a rough idea of what kind of wages I can expect?

Kevin
lozwich

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its been a long time since I got my Cert IV, but as I remember, its something that is required to teach for vocational training organisations. This is things like TAFE and other Registered Training Organisations. I took a quick peek at the Department of Ed website, and it looks like its all being changed. http://www.dest.gov.au/sectors/training_skills/

Used to be that each state had different rules, but from a quick scan I think they might be making things more uniform.

However, for working at your average NEAS accredited school, you shouldn't require the Cert IV. That said, most TAFEs run the Cert IV course quite regularly, so it shouldn't be a problem to get if you need to.
kevinmc

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 11:00 pm    Post subject: Thanks! Reply with quote

Thanks lozwich Very Happy
Johanna

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The cert. four is required for TAFE - but it's possible to get relief work without one. It's true that courses are run pretty regularly - the other thing to know is you can "rpl" a lot of the course...recognition for prior learning...so you gather documentation to show that you already know/can do what they're teaching and they give you credit for it.

You need the cert. four for migrant work too I think - or at least you do in Adelaide.

ELICOS work won't need a cert four but I'm not convinced it pays as well as TAFE or migrant work.

Uni work pays about the same as TAFE work.

In Adelaide the day rate for Uni work is about $260 a day (from memory) for 3 hours teaching, two hours of consultation and two hours of prep - the two hours of consulation don't always happen but there is plenty of marking and formal feedback to be done.
kevinmc

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 11:19 pm    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

Thanks Johanna - exactly the kind of info I was looking for. So rules regarding TAFE vary from state to state?
Johanna

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the rules related to TAFE - I think that some DOSs are more relaxed in their hiring than others. You'd probably get your foot in the door without a cert. 4 if you said you were planning to get one.

I don't know what the rules are in other states but I think on the NEAS website there is a description of qualifications required to work in adult migrant programs and I think that's a national standard. You'd need to check that 'though.

Good luck.
lozwich

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In TAFE in NSW and QLD you must have the Cert IV to teach there. It has occupational health and safety information in it, and because of insurance, you can't work there without that knowledge.

It is sometimes just a box that has to be ticked, and I've known people to get hired without having the Cert IV, but they have to have it before they walk into a classroom.
Tanyaoz

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 10:50 am    Post subject: ESL CErt 4 Trainer Assessor and TESOL Reply with quote

Hi all and especially Kevin with the original query.

I have a Cert 4 Workplace Assessor Trainer qualification and this allows me to work for private industry and TAFE Technical and Further Education colleges in any state of Australia. My background is employment and basic computer training. However I was told a few weeks ago that my qual has to be upgraded by doing 10 more units with PRL on the previous qualification. PRL is prior recognition learning and this covers formal education and prior employment where relevant.

Most of my work has been with non-english speaking migrants here in Australia and I trained them in methods to find employment in Australia. There are certain English language skills required for different levels of employment here and I was training ISLPR 4+ migrants with a professional qualification and I did this at the University of Technology in Brisbane.

I am also a qualified English tutor but this can only be used in Australia and is not a TESOL equivalent. I have worked for the Yerongpilly TAFE in Queensland and the Onkaparinga TAFE here in South Australia where I now live.

Every few years the Cert 4 is upgraded and it is then necessary to update it to continue employment in this area. Although most private employers would accept the last Cert 4 I am doubtful if the TAFE system would. You will have to inquire with each TAFE individually about that.

I wish you all the best and my best suggestion is that you do a google Australia search for TAFE Colleges and then write an email to each one asking about the available positions.

Best regards

Tanyaoz
kevinmc

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 11:16 pm    Post subject: still confused... Reply with quote

Hi again!

I've been looking online for places to do the Cert IV by correspondence so I could finish it before arriving in Oz. One I've contacted is through the Seek website - the Seek Learning part and they are saying that in fact I need a Cert IV in TESOL, not a Cert IV in workplace assessment and training as I previously thought. Is this just a change in name, or a completely different thing? I'd love to hear from anyone who has one of these Certs, especially if there's anyone who's done it by correspondence...

Thanks,
Kevin
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Australia/New Zealand All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: