Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Lima-love it or hate it?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Love it or hate it?
Love it
47%
 47%  [ 8 ]
Hate it
23%
 23%  [ 4 ]
Not sure
29%
 29%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 17

naturegirl321

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 2:37 pm    Post subject: Lima-love it or hate it? Reply with quote

For those who you who have been to Lima, what do you think of it? I personally have lived here about three months and I haven't made up my mind.

It's convenient, lots of things to do , though they can be expensive, distances are long and there's smog. however, everything can be found here.
bejarano

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a tip! Shocked
rgamarra28

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the summers in Lima, but I hate the winter....Everything is much closer in Lima compared to distances in Orlando (Florida). Transportation costs can add up though. Too bad they don't have an organized public transporation system like N. America and Europe.
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rgamarra28 wrote:
I love the summers in Lima, but I hate the winter....Everything is much closer in Lima compared to distances in Orlando (Florida). Transportation costs can add up though. Too bad they don't have an organized public transporation system like N. America and Europe.

I like the transport system. It's hectic, but it adds life to the city
danielita

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I visited Lima for a few days back in 2002 and I hated it. I got bored and ended up in a dodgy movie theatre watching K19 the widow maker. I got food poisoning at what was supposed the be the best restaurant in town. I would avoid it in future travels
rgamarra28

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

danielita wrote:
I visited Lima for a few days back in 2002 and I hated it. I got bored and ended up in a dodgy movie theatre watching K19 the widow maker. I got food poisoning at what was supposed the be the best restaurant in town. I would avoid it in future travels

Lima is a lot different than in 2002, I went in September 2005 and returned in December 2005 and there was a brand new mall (Plaza Lima Sur) up and running in that small amount of time. Most people complain of food poisoning when they go down there, but it's really all that "fresh" food pushing out all that "old" food that's been rotting in their stomaches for weeks if not months! (You know from all the preservatives and other unnatural chemicals, by-products, plastic, etc., etc.)

On another note, regarding my last comment about transportion, I was referring to how I wish they had bus passes and things of that nature, although those taxi rides sure do beat the heck out of any rollercoaster ride here in Orlando! I love the pace of the transportation system too down there, it's always interesting.
danielita

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rgamarra28 wrote:

Most people complain of food poisoning when they go down there, but it's really all that "fresh" food pushing out all that "old" food that's been rotting in their stomaches for weeks if not months! (You know from all the preservatives and other unnatural chemicals, by-products, plastic, etc., etc.)

Possible theory, but this doesn't explain the fever, chills and vomiting that I had....It doesn't make a pleasant 10 hour plane ride back home... Shocked

On a more positive side, I am glad to hear that things are picking up for Lima. It was a real nasty armpit of a place when I was there....Perhaps I will give it a second chance sometime....
keepwalking

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Every time I spend longer than 24 hours in Lima I'm sick - sore throat, chest infection, ear ache, sneezing - basically I'm allergic to the place. It does have some things in its favour though - good coffee and the DVD market on Paseo de Republica where you can get movies before they've even been released in the States! Oh, and it has an airport where i can fly to Iquitos. Three good things.
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems like lots of people in Lima are sick. Lots also have asthma
keepwalking

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am asthmatic, which probably contributes to the extreme reaction. Funny how I can do the Inca trail with no asthma related problems (I can't breathe but no one can!) but Lima shuts down my respiratory system everytime.
RyanS

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lima is awesome. all you haters go back to back to your racist filled beaches in asia
Guy Courchesne

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RyanS wrote:
lima is awesome. all you haters go back to back to your racist filled beaches in asia

I do recall, Ryans, that you were worried about Lima before going...glad you like it....though I would have expected to find you posting from Tupac Amaru country by now. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
furiousmilksheikali

Location: In a coffee shop, splitting a 30,000 yen tab with Sekiguchi.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RyanS wrote:

Isn't Fujimori awful? What we gonna do?
jg

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My time in Lima, though at times stressful, was also fantastic and I love that city more than most others I have been to around the world - and I've been to a lot. I rented a small room with a family in Barranco, hung out with Peruvians in Mira Flores, Parque Barranque, Chorillos, Plaza de Armas... good times. I remember standing around in near the Plaza de ? in one of those big debate circles that forms, listening to all the guys discuss politics in an enthusiastic yet civil way, well past midnight... walking into the used book tents downtown and buying Graham Greene novellas in Spanish.. going to a hip-hop club where Afro-Peruvians met and hung out. Interesting to get a minority perspective on Peru!

The city is really good for walking and has lots of nice colonial remnants, especially in the center. Limenos are friendly and sophisticated, the beach is tiny but cool nonetheless, and there are some awesome restaurants, deli's and street food to be had. Bowling is cheap and fun, the bowling alley I saw was ultra-modern, and the Chinatown has awesome "Chinese" food that you can wash down with chicha(sp?). I had good friends there, natives, and they helped make my stay really cool, as we often hung out at their house...

I really wish I had taken that job in Lima and stayed there. I still fantasize about going back and living there, putting down roots. I only spent 4 months there, and they were the warm months, but obviously it made an impression on me.

Lima rocks the house! Very Happy Cool Smile
nineisone

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a vistor I liked Lima a lot. Wouldn't say I loved it, and those constant grey skies were a bit depressing, but a vibrant capital city with LOTS to do.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Peru All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: