Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Any info on Anahuac?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
treiche1

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:39 pm    Post subject: Any info on Anahuac? Reply with quote

I got a job offer at this university in Oaxaca, I am so excited!!! So, I start at 15 hours a week, 160 pesos an hour, but little by little they said I will get more hours each month.
They also said I can work ten to fifteen hours a week at their middle and high school, Cumbres, which pays 120 pesos an hour, so I should be getting around 20-30 hours a week.

Anyone have experience working here, or hear anything about this university and how it is working here? I would like to get some information on other's experiences, thank you!
Tretyakovskii

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As these things go, that sounds pretty good to me!
noble

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:23 am    Post subject: Re: Any info on Anahuac? Reply with quote

"or hear anything about this university"

All I know is that it is way out of town--way out. Doesn't look so bad on the map, but real life is quite different from the map. Commuting by car will not be fun and getting there by public transportation will be quite difficult. Living out in Xoxo will not likely be your cup of tea, but it would mean you could get to work without spending an hour on the road. Smile Traffic is really bad getting out there. Anahuac is quite new compared to other schools and has a nice campus. They are well funded by the Legionnaires, the wealthy, but scandal-plagued Catholic order. Congratulations on getting this job! Hope you have a great time in Oaxaca.
MotherF

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Living in one of the Fraccionmientos in Xoxo is probabaly a very good option for treiche, who I understand is relocating with family.

I've heard Anahuac teachers have to attend mass once a month. But that's unsubstantiated. Razz

They have several part time MA programs for professional on Saturdays so you might also be able to pick up more hours there.
This sounds like a decent way to get your foot in a door in Oaxaca.
treiche1

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you guys for the info! My fiancee (who is from Oaxaca) and I are actually in the process of building a house, according to google maps, it's 30 minutes away, so I'll have to figure that out...but hopefully it won't be too much of a pain...
ton a bricks

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:05 am    Post subject: Xoxo & Anahuac Reply with quote

One thing to remember about Xoxo is that part of the year there are water shortages, which can severly affect the quality of life. Another part of the year there is flooding from the rains and poor drainage.

I have a friend who works for Anahauc, Be sure you ask how much you will earn after deductions, as I have been told that they seem to take a substantially larger bite than you normally expect. But if you get it back as part of "forced" savings, it isn't so bad.

After the incredible scandals that rocked the Legionarios a little while ago, you would expect them to be more inclined towards circumspection, soul searching and transparency to compensate for their grave errors and abuses. I didn't get that sense too much working in a Legionarios school in DF. I found that the more wealthy the family of the student, the less the administration was inclined to confront unacceptable behaviour. If I asked whether we were not contributing towards perpetuating problems of favouritism, injustice, bullying and discrimination in Mexican socienty, I was told that "it�s a business, that's how it goes".

While obviously money and religion takes precedence over education in such schools, I would suggest you reflect on what you will be really getting yourself into. I didn't continue but, depending on the person, one can make compromises that may go against one's values but still will allow one to eat.. I personally can't understand how the Legionarios is still able to exist after what they have done to ruin the lives of so many people. But part of the Catholic church teaching is to forgive. The Legionarios apply that philosophy to themselves quite readily, but maybe not quite so easily to those who teach something different from what they teach.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Mexico All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: