Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Racism in Ecuador.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Latin America Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chriswest

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2003 10:32 pm    Post subject: Racism in Ecuador. Reply with quote

Ive heard there is alot racism in Ecuador. Anyone have any information on this?
ACP
M@tt

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2003 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can verifiy that there is a lot of racism in Ecuador and everywhere else you find humans.
chriswest

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2003 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thats not true.
Rolling Eyes
has anyone actually been there and experienced racism or heard of it?
dduck

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2003 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As M@tt said, there is racism everywhere; if you look for it hard enough you'll find it. Is there anything you're particularly worried about?

Iain
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
chriswest

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2003 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

worried about name calling, not being able to get private sessions. I heard there are clubs down there in Quito where blacks are not allowed. when I put "Ecuador and racism" into Google alot of stuff came up.
But it's mostly outdated so im trying to find out about the current situation not 10 years ago.
Brenda

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2003 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that before you ask about racism you should be asking if there are many or any black people in Ecuador at all before wondering if general racism exists. As others have said, racism exists everyone you go! I mean, not necesarily against blacks. I mean, just being a foreigner is tough enough sometimes too. Plus, on top of race you have to keep nationality in mind.

I agree that you need to find someone who is actually living there to clarify and answer your questions. Good luck!

Brenda
boxcarwilly

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2003 3:22 pm    Post subject: All People Are Not Created Equal Reply with quote

In general, the blacks are concentrated on the coasts of Ecuador, the Spanish in the Sierra region and the Indians in the jungle. In any country where there are too few jobs for the inhabitants, there is inevitable race problems. Ecuadorians tend to stick to their own groups and not do mix. That is my experience from living there. If you are a native-speaking, black teacher, you can get a job but the students may not respect you at the same level as a white, native speaker. This should not be a surprise to anyone who "has been around". But that down not make it right.
Tiger Beer

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2003 11:55 am    Post subject: Re: Racism in Ecuador. Reply with quote

chriswest wrote:
Ive heard there is alot racism in Ecuador. Anyone have any information on this?
ACP

Most of the racism that exists in Ecuador is against the indegenous people. I'm a white guy and my girlfriend in Quito was actually an african-colombian girl.. actually i also saw some african-ecuadorians in Atacames and Esmeraldas on the coast.. i didn't really notice racism against blacks.. sometimes white guys ask this question too.. anyhow..

actually i was quite shocked at my girlfriend at the time.. because she was black-colombian living in quito.. but she often said some really harsh almost racist stuff to the indegenous indian groups that begged on the streets.. i was shocked..

actually, i noticed that all the white spanish or mestizo (spanish mixed with indian) were all quite racist at the indegenous.. so yeah.. it probably is a problem..

if you are just some black guy or a white guy from some rich country.. if you are aware of anything from ecuadorians, it would be resentment because you are assumed to be rich rather than because of your skin color..

Last edited by Tiger Beer on Tue Mar 11, 2003 2:46 pm; edited 5 times in total
Tiger Beer

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2003 12:22 pm    Post subject: more stuff to add.. Reply with quote

chriswest wrote:
worried about name calling, not being able to get private sessions. I heard there are clubs down there in Quito where blacks are not allowed. when I put "Ecuador and racism" into Google alot of stuff came up.
But it's mostly outdated so im trying to find out about the current situation not 10 years ago.

oh just read your 2nd followup post.. you are black.. sorry, i couldn't tell from your first post.. i still am sure u won't have any problem.. there are ecuadorian blacks on the coast.. esmeraldas and such...

hmm.. anyhow i use to go to alot of clubs with my black colombian girlfriend.. and sometimes we'd see black guys from the States.. they are around.. i don't recall any of them having problems.. i think ecuador is something like 5-10% black.. plus colombia is right above.. and thats a little bit blacker.. and colombia has mulatto and black.. and colombians have more money too.. so i met colombians on vacation.. they have just a little more money and such.. ecuadorians are more either mestizo (spanish and indian mix) or they are pure indeneous.. and they have alot less money there than probably anywhere else in south america..

in general, ecuadorians are kind of a meek people.. i really can't imagine them getting in your face and calling you names.. generally most latin people pretty much overlook or don't even notice that kind of thing.. but most ecuadorians are SO meek.. i mean.. i don't even recall the machismo thing that you might get in traditional latin countries.. i think ecaudorians (and bolivians) are some of the meekest people on the planet earth.. next to the japanese i guess..

but i don't know.. i didn't read the internet and stuff.. but i'm just talking all first hand experiences when i was in ecuador.. i just can't imagine what someone would write about on the internet in regards to racism.. first off i think any white or black person is going to be alot bigger for one.. etc.. etc.. anyhow.. i just don't see that happening at all.. they are too meek and they are just a little bit introverted down there.. i don't recall seeing any agression at all.. just kind of meek people.. (i was there in 1998.. i heard people are getting robbed now? but.. hmm.. anyhow).. i spent alot of time in alot more violent places.. and ecuadorians just seem meek to me.. maybe others had problems.. but i just personally can't see it at all there..

anyhow.. i really can't imagine any problems.. hmm.. i'm a white guy so i have no idea at all.. but my girlfriend was black as i said earlier.. i don't remember her having any problems either.. and she had a significant disadvantage at that she lived and worked there and had to make ends meet on a local income without ever being able to just go back home like we can where we can work more in mcdonalds in one hour than she can in two full days of work.. anyhow..

oh just a thought.. if u go to atacames.. its a nice beach resort.. its near esmeraldas.. anyhow.. i don't know if it appeals.. and i'm just being honest so don't be offended if i assume u are interested in white girls.. BUT.. if you are by chance for whatever reason.. there is a pretty good reggae scene.. and i met alot of pretty hip african-colombian rasta dudes everywhere.. and alot of white chicks were hooking up with them left and right.. its a good scene.. don't know if u are into white chicks.. mostly they are your general white chicks from the States.. probably the same ones you would take every chance they get to go to jamaica on vacations or that frequent the clubs at home.. etc.. anyhow.. if you are into that.. its there on the northwestern coast.. it would probably help if you had some dreads though.. most of the guys were dreadheads.. i can't recall seeing any preppy looking black dudes picking up on them.. but maybe they were around too.. not sure.. i didn't really examine that close.. but anyhow.. thats a good scene if you are into that scene.. i was just surprised because i hadn't seen any white chicks too much anywhere else.. and when i went to that town with my girl.. we saw alot more white chicks there than anywhere else in ecuador..

anyhow.. good luck.. hope you go down.. you'd have alot of fun..
jg

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2003 4:04 am    Post subject: per racism in Ecuador Reply with quote

Chris,

I am black and spent a year - 7/00 until 7/01 - in Ecuador. I had a good journey; it was my first time in Latin America and both the highs (there were plenty) and lows were instructive and vivid. Don't worry about racism in Ecuador, it is neither worrisome enough nor prevalent enough to deter a trip. That said, I must also say that the one or two postings that seem to chide you for asking are way out of line. Yes, racism is everywhere. However, its degree and frequency vary from locale to locale. You SHOULD ask; an informed traveler is a happier traveler, IMHO.
Substitute "sexism" or "homophobia" for racism above and the words ring just as true.

First I must say it clearly - you WILL be stared at. No way around this, and it is important to note that most of the staring will not be malicious or threatening. You are a curiosity, and even on the coast, where the percentage of darker Ecuadorians is higher, some people will be able to sense something different about your browness... after awhile, you will notice it less. You will have to, because its frequency will not dimish, at least not until you become a habitue of whatever neighborhood - or bar, in my case Smile

But this staring need not be such an impediment! Some people you encounter will be curious about your life back in... wherever you are from. And staring at "gringos" of all flavors seems to be quite the way to pass a bus ride. Me, I prefer cards, but different strokes I guess... at first I sometimes said hola to pacify my nervousness, or used the attention as an opening to practice my Spanish. Ecuadorians are somewhat reserved at first (pardon the generalization), but once the ice breaks... the level of warmth and generosity given to me was moving at times, and most of the friendships I made there didn't have that taint of the fickle we have here... Perhaps this is romanticizing it a bit, but not by much.

I was clean-shaven and neat when I arrived; later I grew a thick, scruffy beard and a mini-afro - think "pirate". But the consistency of their coolness never waned. I live in a giant US city, and have lived in others. I would bet the rent that a foreigner, say a big Mexican or Somali with a poor command of the language and scruffy to boot (as I was) would not be so warmly welcomed as I was.

And the bad? There were a few experiences... I was unceremoniously turned away from a bar in Quito that my anglo companions had already entered, and there was a nasty, racially tinged confrontation with my neighbor. A few times I was treated badly before I opened my mouth and revealed myself to not be Ecuadorian; should you not understand the currency of being North American you will once you get to Ecuador, where your passport is like a magic lamp. Disheartening stuff, to be sure, but much more prominent in my mind are: the people who invited me to eat yummy food in their home as they peppered me with genuine interest about my life in the states, though my conversation skills were limited; the man who, upon knowing me for half an hour, offered me the free use of his empty apartment until I found lodgings of my own and told me that from that point on he was Oscar, my friend; the many hot women who should have blown me off but instead stopped what they were doing and walked my lost-self to whatever destination. Sadly, that doesn't happen here - once I'm lost, the lovelies of Chicago seem little interested in my plight. I could go on, but Im feeling a little too nostalgic now Crying or Very sad

At any rate, if I havent made it plain, I will now: you could be double-milk chocolate dark and still have a blast in Ecuador. GO! GO! GO! Get your Spanish in order and take those rickety busses all across that green land... talk to everyone; being open and warm reaps dividends...

If you have any more specific questions feel free to email me at [email protected]

James G
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> General Latin America Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: