Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Maximo Nivel?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
trubble

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 2:34 am    Post subject: Maximo Nivel? Reply with quote

Does anyone have any info about working at Maximo Nivel? Is $500 a month enough to live comfortably in Peru?
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's about average, as long as you don't always go on spending sprees. I've heard good things about them.. Contact raymundo and Donovan. They work there.
tricia11

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 12:40 am    Post subject: mn Reply with quote

I have contacted one of the former teachers...and this person's review of MN was not good. This person described the managment as throwing temper tantrums and 0% retention rate of former teachers. I personnely don't know but am considering working there. I think $500 is sufficcient pay for the area. But I am not sure about the other stuff.
Jams

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi -- Jams here. Please see my reply to the Maximo Nivel teaching report on the first page of this Peru forum.

I'm just finishing my 6 months at Maximo Nivel. It's been great. I've worked at 4 other institutes in South America, and I'd rank Maximo above all of them.

As for temper tantrums from management -- I've never seen this, nor do I know of any other teacher who's been on the receiving end of a 'temper trantrum'. I've found management here to be honest, direct, and very professional. If there's any criticism I have of management it's that they're business oriented -- but you know what, that means I get paid -- no waiting, no doubts, no worries.

Overall, my experience here has been great, and I'd reccomend Maximo to anyone coming to Peru.
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to hear the MN worked out for you. Maybe they're getting better. How long have the long-term teachers been there?
Jams

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 6:09 pm    Post subject: Long termers @ Maximo Reply with quote

I had to research that one a little... Here's what I found out:

Mark has been here for 3 years.

Tom has also been here for 3 years.

Larry has been here for a little more than year.

Aisling (left at end of July) was here for a little more than a year.

Jeff (left at end of August) was here for a little less than a year.

There's also a bunch of Peruvians that apparently have worked their way up the ladder, so people Heidy, Oscar, Bertha, and I'm sure a couple others have been here since the beginning (2003).

Most teachers come for 6 months because that's the minimum contract Maximo offers. Some teachers stay on for 12+ because Maximo gets them their resident visa, and if you complete 12 months here you get a $500 'thank you' bonus.

I'm finishing my 6 months. In my 6 months here, there's certainly been some efforts made in the way of scheduling us [the teachers] better. So, for example you never have more than 3 classes in a row [with no break], and normally only 2 in a row. But aside from that, the teacher's lounge, free Internet, monthly party, Visa-run reimbursement, etc. have ALL been part of the system since I arrived, they're not new. So, IMHO, I think Maximo has been very good (even great) right from the beginning!

Having taught at 4 other institutes (2 in Europe) Maximo is full-on in terms of what they're doing and how they're doing it. I really liked it here; and again I'd reccomend it to anyone. BUT, I'd say teachers have to come ready to work. Maximo is very professional and business-oriented and expectations of its teachers are just as high.

I think the best indicator of Maximo is how quickly its grown. They're obviously doing something right. Just since I've been here (6 months) they must have added like 200 students. If they've only been open since 2003, and they have like 1000+ students in Cusco, plus schools in Arequipa and also a new one in Costa Rica, they're obviously treating their students and their employees well, 'cause I don't think they could do it otherwise.
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard that they were expanding. Glad things worked out for you. Different institutes suit different people. Where else have you taught in Peru? Idn't konw that people had stayed at MN so long. And they get a work visa? Added plus.

YOu should get Mark, Tom, Larry, Aisling, Jeff to post here. Just out of curiosity, what's the pay like at MN? And are any of the teachers married to Peruvians? The long-term teachers I mean.
Jams

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm just full of the info. I really like this forum. I should have joined earlier. Let's see...

Mark is apparently engaged to a Peruvian woman, but his work visa is from Maximo.

Aisling is married to a Peruvian man.

Tom and Jeff are not married or engaged to Peruvians.

So that's 50/50. Some obviously have strong ties to Peru, whereas others just seem to enjoy being in Peru and/or Cusco.

Pay here is pretty good. S/. 1300/month for a beginning teacher. Experienced teachers like me are hired at S/. 1500/month. Then you can opt for 7 classes a day [instead of 6] and you're paid an extra S/. 250/month. They limit teachers to no more than 8 classes a day. So, in theory a teacher can earn up to S/. 2000 per month, but I think 8 classes a day would be a busy schedule. I taught 7 and it was perfect, and I made S/. 1750 per month, which I lived VERY WELL on here in Cusco.

I should probably qualify the work visa thing. Yes, they get if for you. However, you must spend a year+. What you can't do is work for 6 months and then re-up for another 6 months and get the work visa. You have to come in and sign a 12 month contract from the get go, or if you're extending your previous contract you'd need to re-up for another 12 at that point. Apparently, the visa process is like 4 months long, so they need the teacher to commit to a sufficient time period.

As for my previous teaching... Maximo was my first place in Peru. Prior to here, I was in Nicaragua, Costa Rica, Chile, and Argentina. Also, in Europe, I taught in The Netherlands and in Russia.
naturegirl321

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, you've taught in many places. MN pays ok, guess lima pays more, but cost of living is higher.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Peru All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: