Site Search:

Get TEFL Certified & Start Your Adventure Today!
Teach English Abroad and Get Paid to see the World!
Job Discussion Forums Forum Index Job Discussion Forums
"The Internet's Meeting Place for ESL/EFL Students and Teachers from Around the World!"

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Best Suburbs to Move To In Taipei?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Joe Thanks

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2003 8:04 pm    Post subject: Best Suburbs to Move To In Taipei? Reply with quote

Hi! I'm plotting a move from Hsincu to Taipei either this summer or early next winter. I'd love to hear different observations about the various suburbs there. Things I'd like to know about are: safety (low rates of burglary and scooter theft), what neighborhoods have a subway stop, the availability of decent, ARC sponsoring jobs in Taipei, and whatnot. Humorous stories are welcome as well. I'm looking to find a studio with all utilities within the 9,000 NT range, so in what neighborhoods would this be a possibility (mind you I want a modern, clean building)? I don't need you to find me a place but pointers as to what suburb might be worth checking into are appreciated.

Preparing early,

Joe
Okami

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2003 6:29 am    Post subject: A lot of choices Reply with quote

You have several choices and I'll try to detail each adequately

Mucha/Muzha- Has the brown line of the MRT can be very green in places. Close to Chen Da university. Housing can vary greatly here. Shops can be inconvenient to get to at times. Blue line is very convenient for me.

Yung Ho & Chung Ho/Zhong Ho- Has the yellow line of the MRT, it is not green, but mostly filled with 4+ story buildings. It has 2 great benefits though to make up for this, cheap accomodation and a lot of stores. Yellow line is very convenient for me.

Ban Chiao- Has the blue line of the MRT, very similiar to Yung Ho & Zhong Ho. It has more industrial activity. This is where you'll still see the small living room factories, that made Taiwan famous. Blue line is not very convenient for me.

Hsin Dian- Has the Southern part of green line of the MRT. This is the longest, most convenient strecth of the MRT. Hsin Dian has a lot of stores, cheap housing and very few if any green spaces. It still has a number of factories. Bitan at the very end of Green line is a nice place, but housing gets a tad more expensive there.

North of Tienmu- Has the Northern part of green line of the MRT. You can get a variety oif living accomodations up here in all terms of price. The problem is convenient access to shopping and being so far away from city center.

If you have more specific questions, let me know. You might want to check out www.segue.com.tw. They have specific posts about living in Banchiao and Zhong Ho. I live in in Yung Ho and love it. I'll probably see about renting a house next time here for only $18,000NT/month. I would highly recommend finding Jeremy and renting a scooter off of him. You can find him at the shop off the only man described as honest in the old edition of the Lonely Planet.

CYA
Okami
Joe Thanks

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2003 1:55 pm    Post subject: Thanks, Okami! Reply with quote

Very Happy

Your insight is much appreciated!

Cheers!
Aristotle

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2003 5:35 am    Post subject: Boracay Reply with quote

Well it's not really a suburd of Taipei but with all the people from Taipei there, you sure would think it was.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Job Discussion Forums Forum Index -> Taiwan All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: